Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #41
Sherwolfe

OK, this is what I thought and you just helped me clarify it. Thanks for the manual attachment, should have just looked that up myself. Might you have a suggestion as to why the slide motor is running so slow? What to check? As I have previously stated, there is no binding, just a slow motion. When the slide was going in I pushed on it and it did pick up speed. We have lubed the slide rubbers, put "Dry Slide" on the slide rails. Seems there is not any significant resistance, as noted by my pushing on the slide. Is it possible the slide motor is just worn out? At this point my buddy is content with the slide being slow and pleased that it at least goes in and out now without stopping. Me, not so content as with the slide motor running so slow it seems like there is still an issue we haven't fixed yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Sherwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

It may be something as simple as dirt or "goo" on the sides of the plastic rollers that support the gearing inside those two square rams or it may be something as "expensive" as the brushes in the motor. I'd check the wiring for the slide motor where it's "crimped to the motor, where the ground is attached and especially check the actual crimp fittings. Many times a few wires will fall outside the crimp band and as the wiring vibrates from towing and from motor vibration, those remaining wires will break away, leaving 8 or 9 strands in a 20 strand wire to carry all the load.

I just replaced the plastic roller/gear packs on both my square rams this past summer. Cost about $50 for each pack ($100 total) and found that I had one plastic roller wheel that was cracked (caused the slide to jump and buck) and two that were worn on the side (caused the wheels to wobble as the slide moved). There is a plastic button on the top of each square tube that keeps pressure on the inner ram as it moves in and out. On both of mine, that plastic button was worn, allowing the inner ram to droop, causing it to bind slightly. I put a spacer under the button to realign those parts and it helped tremendously.

Your buddy may not have as much wear on his slide as my 2014 trailer, then again, depending on how much use his slide mechanism has seen, he may have as much or even more wear than I had.

Also, extend the slide about halfway, crawl under it and look at where the bottom of the slide floor meets the trailer floor. There is a rubber "flapper" that helps seal that area. It is molded onto the wear bar and often times will break away and get stuck under the slide floor causing just enough friction to slow the slide movement in and out.

I'd look first at the "flapper seal" and then check all the electrical connections, especially the ones that connect the motor leads to the trailer wiring. They are about 12" from the motor and those crimps are always in a moist area and may have some corrosion on them or may have loose crimps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #43
Sherwolfe

JRTJH, thank you Sir. I will do more checking on your suggestions. I have not looked at the bottom seal and didn't think about it till your post. He as an appointment to have a local RV Shop look at his trailer later in November and then they want to keep it for two or three weeks. I'm just trying to help him avoid this if possible. So far I am gaining ground on it and maybe after I check your suggestions I just might keep his trailer out of the shop. Again, thank you.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Old 11-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #44
Sherwolfe

Quick update on my camping buddy's slide issue. We replaced the Buss Fuses and that clearly solved the problem as both the slide and the tongue jack work fine. In fact, we are leaving tomorrow for a 8 day final trip of the season and when my camping buddy picked up his trailer he told me all worked fine. However, the slide still seems to move slow, so when we meet up tomorrow I plan to look under his slide for anything that might be interfering flapper seal near the wear bar. If no issues there then I will check the wire connections at the slide motor to see if they might have possibly worked loose. Good news, it all works, now to just figure why it moves slow. I will update after we look at it more during our final trip.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #45
Sherwolfe

OK, so final trip of the season is done and looking forward to next season hopefully COVID free. As I previously stated regarding my buddy's slide issue. It does appear the buss fuse replacement fixed the problem. Slide has been opening and closing without any stopping and starting. I did take the time while out this last time to look at the bottom of the slide for any issues or signs of abnormal wear, all looks good. So, fix was the buss fuse and he is keeping an extra with him, myself included as you never when those damn little fuses just might give it up.

Thanks to everyone who offered advise and suggestions as this lead us to the buss fuses.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #46
flybouy
Site Team

Never hurts to have a spare, I keep one in my "spares" container. If you did have one and not have a spare you can remove one wire and place both wires on one stud to get going until a spare is acquired.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #47
Sherwolfe

Thanks Flybouy. After learning this was the issue, should I run into this again maybe helping someone else I would certainly consider "Hot Wiring" the fuse just to get the slide in or out now that I know this could be the issue. Took us a bit to figure out. Funny how such a little fuse really caused us a lot of head scratching, but it is RV'ing right?

Tags
slide