Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

In today's world, yesterday's "best" is outdated and tomorrow's "dream" will make today's best a "thing of the past".... Several years ago, when Compaq was the "industry standard" I ordered a new computer. It shipped that afternoon with 1 day delivery. As I was waiting for FedEx to arrive, I was reading the "computer news on the internet" and there was an "announcement from Compaq that their newest computer had just been released"....

So, in one day, I ordered the "most advanced for immediate delivery" and before I got it, it was outdated.....

I can't give you any information on the "latest in cellphone/internet connectivity devices" but you can pretty much be assured that whatever you buy will not be "the latest technology".

That said, buy what you can afford that works for you and stop reading the "news releases" because they will surely have something better than what you just bought.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #22
Jim2366

That said, buy what you can afford that works for you and stop reading the "news releases" because they will surely have something better than what you just bought.....

Why read anything of new things coming up. I was not talking about updates but new advances, why read anything here then.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

From your post, you've already bought it and are now wondering if anyone else might have something better? The "point" I was making is that as rapidly as technology is advancing, even if it is the "best available" it won't be for long.

It seems you're the "advance party/pioneer" with speedify technology, maybe you could try it, let us all know how well it works and whether someone else would benefit from buying it or whether we should all "wait for the next, best thing to hit the market.....

As for waiting for Amazon to launch their satellites, I'd guess half are up, half are waiting for launch and the spare half are waiting in Wuhan for the quarantine to end so they can be shipped as "space available" <pun intended> on the next Princess Cruise Line to head toward the west coast.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #24
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
Why read anything of new things coming up. I was not talking about updates but new advances, why read anything here then.
We learn about it (NEW STUFF)the same time you do. For that matter, the same time the dealers do too. For reference see all the dealers who had no idea a Key TV was coming out. LOL.

Keystone keeps those secrets/advances locked up tightly and certainly doesn't share them with our lowly (their opinion, not ours!) independent forum.

Believe me, we'd love to know in advance so we could get a jump on troubleshooting the impending issues.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #25
Jim2366

An update on Speedify, it cost $3 per month with a subscription. It allowed me to be able to use the cell phone as a hot spot and then connect to the RV internet connection at the same time. It allowed me to use my computer from the RV where the signal was almost nil. It works great giving a more steady connection.

I tried it for for the first month without the subscription for $12.

Anyone use weboost rv65?
Old 03-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #26
Snoking

Report on OTR Mobile service. I went out Saturday and picked up a Xbox and some games to help us with something to do while holed up with the coronavirus pandemic this summer. I have downloaded somewhere between a 150-200 gigabytes of data for the games in a couple days. All within our standard unlimited data plan.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #27
flrtrader

There is no way a VPN can increase your speed, your connection strength or data usage. It can't allow Data from the provider as the know who you are and who is receiving their signal. It stops places your accessing know where, who you are.
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #28
Fishsizzle

5G, but who knows when and where there will be service

And agree, VPN slows things down. Stripping info out of the stream
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #29
Jim2366

The weBoost Connect RV 65 came in and I am using it at home since I am now working at home because of the virus. Some of the things that I was figuring out to work from the RV has helped me go from the office to working at home temporarily. I have the pole up and facing the cell tower with living in the country it helps.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:28 AM   #30
KRumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC GT Yellow Jacket View Post
Check out TOGO RV Roadlink C2. Base cost is less than $300. Unlimited ATT data for $360/year. Works outside RV. I installed this on my new Cougar and get wifi in my tow vehicle on the road. Streamed TV for a week constantly.
AT&T cancelled all the Unlimited TOGO plans (No renewal)...

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ale...ary-16th-2020/
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:56 AM   #31
NH_Bulldog

My new car has built-in AT&T wireless service. After the trial it is $20/mo for unlimited data before my employer’s corporate discount is applied. Obviously more data would be used in a stationary RV than a moving car, so they are cutting their losses a bit. But it sure seems like they took from one hand to give to the other. Reminds me of a certain presidential candidate.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:02 AM   #32
Jim2366

The cell phone plan I have is the 55 plus with Sprint. Two phones with unlimited data, text and calls,. It’s about $80 a month for the 2 phones and that includes tax. They offer it in some states. There are 65 plus plans that I will check out in a couple years,
Old 03-22-2020, 04:27 AM   #33
Jim2366

https://speedify.com/blog/fix-slow-i...pn-connection/

When I am at home and have a good internet connection, I turn off speedify. Although they claim it does not slow down your speed it does. So why do I use it why RVing is because with a week signal I can’t use the off on signal and by combining them and now with we boost too I can work in more areas.

My usage is not steaming videos it’s connecting to insurance companies with peoples data. Any suggestion I would like to here bout I am a computer user and not a tech guy,, and am talking about it to share what I have found with the hope to learn better ways.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:41 AM   #34
NH_Bulldog

I am in insurance as well and have used my Verizon MiFi with the WeBoost with great success. When our 6 year old is out of school for the year (likely much sooner than anticipated this year), we might just hit the road for an extended vacation and I will work from the road. In my case cost is not a factor since my company bought the technology. YMMV
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:32 AM   #35
SR71 Jet Mech

Jim2366,
I too have the RV65. My wife is able to work from the road full time so we needed something for her. I have found the 30 foot minimum is critical between antennas and farther apart is way better. Other than sometimes having to shift antenna placement, it works great.
I normally “zip tie” mine to the ladder on the rear, tie into the sat prep cable on the RV and I can move the inside antenna around. Usually the inside antenna is in the bedroom up front facing out the door side window. Our router is sitting beside it inside. If I have to aim the outside Yagi towards the front of the RV signal gets a little wonky from antenna feedback. I can usually get setup to avoid this. However, the whole 30’ of the pole is needed.
We also have set it up at home and it works great there too.

Scott

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #36
markjamestx

AT&T Cell Phone Extender

Every time I start researching this subject again, I get confused. We run a small Amazon/Ebay internet business and need to be touch while camping. We do short trips but 5 to 6 week trips was well. We need to use our phone hotspots to be able to download the orders and do the bookkeeping. We have someone at the home base fill and ship orders. We use one Android and an IPhone. We have a AT&T hotspot as well, but do not activate it very often. We also have a Verizon GoPhone that we have used as a hotspot when needed. When camping, as you all know, State and National Parks the cell reception stinks. We live in Arkansas and do a lot of camping in any number of their 36 RV campgrounds.

Now to my question. None of the boosters from ToGo, Winegard and others have great reviews. What are your thoughts? Is a mast mounted the best and if so, which one or is a roof mounted dome? Don't necessarily need wifi, we can do with cell boosting only. We believe the cell boosting would yield more than the wifi boosting.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #37
Snoking

We are pretty happy with our MoFi 4500 modem/router and OTR Mobile. $60/mo for unlimited data on AT&T network. MoFi was around $350.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MoFi.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	26801  
Old 04-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #38
SC GT Yellow Jacket

More feedback on ToGo Roadlink C2

I have used the ToGo Roadlink C2 system on my TT for a while now and have found it works very well anywhere there is AT&T coverage at all. I have streamed TV using it extensively. It is not a cell booster, and they don't advertise it as such. It does have multiple cell antennas which apparently work well, and multiple Wifi antennas that create a very strong LAN.

Proof of this occurred during the past two weeks. In the early hours of Monday, April 13 the area I live in was hit with an EF3 tornado. I was awakened by my cell phone alerting me to an impending tornado warning. My power was already out. Grabbed my phone and my kindle and the DW and I retreated to our safe area in the basement. Once there I was checking out the local TV station weather broadcast and radar watching the storm pass very close to a direct hit. It was only later that morning I realized I had watched streaming on wifi with the power out. What I realized was that I had been connected to the ToGO LAN on my TT outside. I keep it powered as I keep the batteries charged. My devices are programmed to default to the ToGo LAN if the house LAN is not available.

My power was out for 4 days. I cranked up my generator and used the internet via the ToGo from my house for the entire time. In addition, with the Coronavirus situation going strong, my neighbor who needed to work from home was able to connect using the ToGo LAN and work for several days. He was approximately 250 ft away from the TT with my house in between. Really glad I had it available.

The bummer is that the good AT&T unlimited data rate is no longer available to new customers and will expire after the first year ends. Not sure where I will go with it then.
ToGo Roadlink C2
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #39
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
We are pretty happy with our MoFi 4500 modem/router and OTR Mobile. $60/mo for unlimited data on AT&T network. MoFi was around $350.
I got a PM asking about the ethernet cables. The main computer and printer are on ethernet and a spare cable is plugged in.

We have the following on WiFi:
Two smart Phones
Two Roku units
Amazon Firestick
Amazon Echo
Samsung smart TV
Directv Gennie
Computer in mancave
Three tablets