Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
JimJan

Hulu live tv vs Utube TV

We have started to use Hulu live for our TV for network ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox as well as some other channels. We use a cable service at home so this is new to us. We are away at a RV park and using the Park Wi-Fi.
30 days of this we find out Hulu requires us to reconnect the system at our home address to continue using it.
Also a pop up states Hulu is not made for mobile use.

So, now what?
Started looking into a replacement service that would work for our mobile use. looking into the Utube tv service. Has all the channels we are looking for.
Has anyone used this or have other ideas?
Thanks
JimJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Northofu1

I mostly download movies and shows, load them onto an external hard drive, but, I also use Netflix cast to the TV from my cell.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
Logan X

I use YouTube TV and I am happy with it. However, I don’t use it on the road, just at home.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
ADQ K9

Just got a Roku, use it in camp up north all it needed was my CC. Has a pretty good variety to select from, still getting used to all the features.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
ROBNPEN

I believe that Hulu Live requires the 30 day home network check-in, regular Hulu does not have the same requirement.
ROBNPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
JimJan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNPEN View Post
I believe that Hulu Live requires the 30 day home network check-in, regular Hulu does not have the same requirement.
Yes, that's what we found out. We are a long way from home so that's not going to happen. We have been able to hard wire our laptop the TV and use it that way and setting up a new user name. A pain but a work around. Was hoping the Utube live might work like Hulu was.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Roscommon48

Use your antenna
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
Use your antenna
You should, in most places, pick up 50-60 channels from your antenna. Not all of those channels will be something you may want to watch, but should be able to find something to watch. Usually the antenna has more channels with better picture quality than the park cable service if available.
In the majority of the parks we've visited across this great country their WiFi systems were at best weak & most had a note in their park regulations stating not to be streaming tv programming.
If you have cell phone data streaming tv programming will burn through your available data pretty quickly resulting either no programing or sky high data charges or slowing the data to a point that it would take forever to watch a program due to constantly buffering.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:57 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You should, in most places, pick up 50-60 channels from your antenna. Not all of those channels will be something you may want to watch, but should be able to find something to watch. Usually the antenna has more channels with better picture quality than the park cable service if available.
In the majority of the parks we've visited across this great country their WiFi systems were at best weak & most had a note in their park regulations stating not to be streaming tv programming.
If you have cell phone data streaming tv programming will burn through your available data pretty quickly resulting either no programing or sky high data charges or slowing the data to a point that it would take forever to watch a program due to constantly buffering.
Not sure where you camp but 50-60 channels is a bit optimistic. We get San Antonio channels when parked in our home slot in Medina County near Medina Lake and see about 40 channels; many are Spanish Language and various shopping channels. If we camp out by Camp Wood we get NO OTA channels. When we camped in Utopia we got 3 OTA channels; the LAFF channel, QVC and a crime channel. When we camp in Bandera, almost no OTA, etc etc. That is why I have Dish at home and a Wally/Playmaker in my RV. That is the ONLY reason I keep Dish at home rather than a streaming service.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:45 AM   #10
Schbobby

Sprint smart phones come with unlimited Hulu on the Mobile plan. Got it on my new Galaxy phone so don’t need the address restrictions
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:12 AM   #11
Frank G

We have YouTube TV, 5 devices, you can use 3 devices at one time, all for $55/month. We stream off of the resort WiFi. As I type this I am watching F&F on the cell phone. With unlimited data we can use the service driving down the road and at our summer locations all without changing services. What is not to like. We haven't hooked up to poor mans TV in 30+ years. Got tired of dealing with Direct TV with all the antenna stuff and location changes.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:20 AM   #12
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJan View Post
<clip> We are a long way from home so that's not going to happen. We have been able to hard wire our laptop the TV and use it that way and setting up a new user name. A pain but a work around. <clip>
A long, long time ago (20+ years) I used a free AT&T software package (whose name I do not remember) in a client-server mode to remotely take control of various computers. I used to have to go into the job in the middle of the night (about a 30 minute drive) on various occasions to check/do something to a WinDoze-based computer until this type of software became available. If your home Internet is still enabled this might be an option to do whatever check-in is required.

I'm still a troglodyte with respect to streaming services; we don't have cable nor do we subscribe to Hulu or anything else like that. I think we've used the TV in the TT two or three times total and maybe once a week in the S&B; music and books are our preferred mode.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #13
JimJan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
We have YouTube TV, 5 devices, you can use 3 devices at one time, all for $55/month. We stream off of the resort WiFi. As I type this I am watching F&F on the cell phone. With unlimited data we can use the service driving down the road and at our summer locations all without changing services. What is not to like. We haven't hooked up to poor mans TV in 30+ years. Got tired of dealing with Direct TV with all the antenna stuff and location changes.
The RV park we are at now has some wifi but not very strong. I picked up the UBNT receiving unit and mounted it to my antenna so I can turn it to the closest park broadcast unit. Then installed their Cube re-broadcaster wifi inside the camper. Works great!

Thanks for the utube info, will look into it when the Hulu month is up.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not sure where you camp but 50-60 channels is a bit optimistic. We get San Antonio channels when parked in our home slot in Medina County near Medina Lake and see about 40 channels; many are Spanish Language and various shopping channels. If we camp out by Camp Wood we get NO OTA channels. When we camped in Utopia we got 3 OTA channels; the LAFF channel, QVC and a crime channel. When we camp in Bandera, almost no OTA, etc etc. That is why I have Dish at home and a Wally/Playmaker in my RV. That is the ONLY reason I keep Dish at home rather than a streaming service.
Been coast to coast border to border with 40 channels being about the minimum. We stayed in the Texas panhandle & deep east Texas at locations with no reception while everywhere else had plenty.
Now of those 50-60 channels 20 were sports or news channels which I don't watch, 10-15 were foreign language which I don't understand, another 10 are religious channels with good subject matter but kinda boring to watch so it leaves usually a handful of watchable channels. As long as we can find a good old western we're good, as for all these reality programs I'll turn the TV off before watching that crap.
Usually once parked we're outdoors & may watch a couple hours before bed but have nothing we must watch weekly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
AnJ

We have been using Youtube TV for 3 months now and it works well. The whole family, 4 of us, can be on at the same time. Tried Hulu tv within the past year and prefer the Youtube TV.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #16
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Been coast to coast border to border with 40 channels being about the minimum. We stayed in the Texas panhandle & deep east Texas at locations with no reception while everywhere else had plenty.
Now of those 50-60 channels 20 were sports or news channels which I don't watch, 10-15 were foreign language which I don't understand, another 10 are religious channels with good subject matter but kinda boring to watch so it leaves usually a handful of watchable channels. As long as we can find a good old western we're good, as for all these reality programs I'll turn the TV off before watching that crap.
Usually once parked we're outdoors & may watch a couple hours before bed but have nothing we must watch weekly.
Must be nice. We get no digital over the airwaves tv signals at our house. Too mountainous here.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:29 AM   #17
JimJan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
We have been using Youtube TV for 3 months now and it works well. The whole family, 4 of us, can be on at the same time. Tried Hulu tv within the past year and prefer the Youtube TV.
Thanks for the info!
Old 04-19-2020, 04:48 AM   #18
jimborokz

Where our winter base is we get about 6 channels. Once you eliminate the shopping ones we're down to one. Never use OTA. Mostly watch Netflix and Prime, and ATT,TV for live TV. We have Comcast hard wired in so bandwidth is not an issue. Just started trying Comcast streaming last night as it is included with our Internet. Jury is still out on that.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote