Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #41
notanlines

Chester, look into an extended pin box for your 5th wheel. They are relatively common in RV parks. I'm not saying I recommend your current rig as an acceptable combination, but PPL in Houston and Etrailer.com can both put you in a new pin box (12" longer or so)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:40 AM   #42
cougarpelt

Lucky for me, they stood by their 4 hour estimate; the general manager chalked up the added time as "experience with a NEW MODEL TRUCK". I rather doubt that a 4 hour estimate will be used on the next 2020 chevy 1500 adapter kit installation contract. SOOO my Husky 16K 5th wheel hitch along with my Reese Sidewinder trailer tongue will serve my needs for the next while. See you at White Oak Creek COE campground! HAPPY CAMPING to ALL!
cougarpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #43
cougarpelt

After all that! I was under the truck, installing a CURT Plug and play 7-Way plug in the bed, when I happened to look up and see the left rear attaching hardware that Gander RV/Camping World of Dothan had installed the previous Friday. NO FLAT WASHER BETWEEN THE ADAPTER PLATES AND THE LOCK WASHER!!!!. The holes in the plate were big enough that the lock washers were inside the hole on one side, rendering the "Locking" feature of a lock washer useless. I took pictures; Called B&W, the kit manufacturer and asked if what I saw was within their specs for installation of their hitch adapters?? They came back right away and said NO!!; DO NOT HOOK UP TO YOUR 5TH WHEEL UNTIL THE FLAT WASHERS WHICH WERE INCLUDED WITH KIT WERE INSTALLED. Sent pictures and B&W statement to the General Manager of Gander RV; he got back to me this afternoon and invited me back so his staff could correct the installation!
I had NO reason to suspect that the installation was incomplete! As delivered to me, during hard braking or hard acceleration the lock washers and nuts could have pulled through the adapter plate holes causing untold damage or injury!!
We have entered into an era where we MUST check behind major RV techs! Men who, as the service manager described to me as "they put these things on everyday, they could put them on in their sleep". How many accidents are the result of a lack of professionalism and attention to detail on repairs/installations to our RVs??
I consider myself blessed to have been under the truck when I was and knew enough to see when something did not look right!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #44
LHaven

Next time, ask him to assign the guys who don't put them on in their sleep.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:50 PM   #45
chuckster57
Site Team

I wonder if the techs were under pressure to “get it done” since any time over the quote is on the dealership. Seen it before, not defending anybody just throwing another possibility out there.

Glad you caught it, and yeah any MAJOR work should be checked by the customer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:01 AM   #46
cougarpelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Next time, ask him to assign the guys who don't put them on in their sleep.
Good one LHAVEN!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:58 AM   #47
Roscommon48

I suspect you will have a major issue. To bad you didn't refuse the truck. But, good luck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

"I had NO reason to suspect that the installation was incomplete!".
"We have entered into an era where we MUST check behind major RV techs!"

With these 2 statements (and the punctuation) I think you are new to the RV world and perhaps a bit inexperienced in mechanical modifications/repairs. I know less than a handful of techs/mechanics that I trust and even those I'll check behind with "less scrutiny". They are all human and thus anyone can "have a bad day". When someone makes a mistake we don't know if that person was up all night with a sick child, having marital issues on their mind, or some other major live stress. A good shop would have a lead tech or service manager check that work before sending it out the door.

For work on my trucks I'm fortunate that I had (he closed up shop last year) a privately owned shop (father & son)that I dealt with for 30+ years. They never deceived me and always treated me fair and not as a fare. Just me personally but I would never go to a CW to get a hitch installed. I'd seek an independent shop that's been in business for some years that has a strong reputation for their workmanship and ethics.

JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:51 AM   #49
Northofu1

^^^ They might not have put a 5th wheel hitch in a half ton.
I know I wouldn't.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:04 AM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm with Marshall on checking behind anyone working on my vehicles.

I use the Ford "quick lube" for regular oil changes. I ALWAYS open the hood, check for oil level, that a "NEW" filter has been installed, that the oil fill cap is present and I bend over to make sure there's no "puddle of oil" under the truck. Then I get in the truck and check for "soiled carpet/seats/steering wheel followed by verifying that the "oil life reminder" has been reset.

I can't count on my fingers and toes the number of times I've had to go back inside to get someone to "finish the job"....

If it's that frequent in something as simple as an oil change, imagine how much can go wrong with a "first one we ever did" installation.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #51
66joej

^ Lots of good suggestions. I also use a marker to make a dot on my filter and L/F wheel when a rotation is done with the service (have caught both of these items not done). Filter wiped off and not changed. Dot was still there. Service Manager said sorry and they were really busy and doing a few at a time? Needless to say last time at that business.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:59 AM   #52
cougarpelt

I had to have them DO IT OVER A THIRD TIME before the B&W parts were finally used that came with the adapter kit. Luckily B&W sent me the installation instructions so I could tell when the parts that came with kit and were suppose to be used showed up.
tech just plain refused to follow the manufacturer's instructions without his general manager's involvement. NEVER AGAIN.
FLY-Bouy is exactly right … don't trust a tech with your equipment. This one had drifted into such a complacent state, that "attention to detail" was the LAST thing anyone can expect from him.