Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Sandfreak

2015 Fuzion onan 5500 overheating generator

Does anyone else have overheating generator issues? We were dry camping in Utah and running both A/C's for a couple hours when the generator started fluctuating and died. I opened the generator compartment door and was knocked over by the extreme heat. The removable front panel was too hot to touch. Let it cool off checked the altitude adjustment and it fired up but two hours later it did the same thing. Took it to a RV repair when we got home and they ran it for six hours with the A/C's on and no issues. We left for Idaho and same exact thing happens with the generator surging and dying after a few hours. Tried just running one A/C and still starts to fluctuate but it won't die unless I turn both A/C's on.
Sandfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
roadglide

That happened one time in 105 degree weather running both AC havent had an issue with it sense. I'm useing 15/40 onan oil not that I can prove it makes a difference what oil is used just what's recommend.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Sandfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
That happened one time in 105 degree weather running both AC havent had an issue with it sense. I'm useing 15/40 onan oil not that I can prove it makes a difference what oil is used just what's recommend.
That's the same oil I run. Think I might have to bite the bullet and take it to a Onan repair outfit.
Sandfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:13 AM   #4
Racebug

Mine overheats if I don't open the access door. It will run fine with it clipped opened. If I'm driving, it will run fine closed.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a 5500 watt generator in our old motorhome. The compartment did not provide enough air circulation to properly vent the exhaust heat (the exhaust gasses were properly vented, but not the heat) and when used on a hot day, the exhaust heat was what caused our generator to overheat.

The dealership tried several times to "fix" it and they never improved the performance. The Onan center tried several times to "fix" it and they also, NEVER improved the performance. I finally mounted a small industrial 120 VAC fan above the exhaust side of the generator, pointed to blow the heat out of the generator compartment. We never had any more problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Icantdrive55

First post, but I've had years of experience with these gensets in public safety.

I can't speak to your exact situation, but from experience with these in ambulances and fire trucks over the last 15 years, I'd probably never run mine with the door closed, except maybe the winter. These run HOT, and all of our trucks eventually had vented doors, or vent systems to draw hot air out of the genset compartment. We started with issues with circuit breakers tripping, then a few just said to heck with it and would shut off.

Being in that kind of environment you were in, I wouldn't be surprised of any issues. Have you tried letting it cool down, then trying to run it again with minimal load and the door open? That would be my first try, and if things seem kosher after a few minutes, gradually increase load back to where you were at when you had the issue.
Icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion, generator, heat