Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
dmsmacomber

Water Softener

Hi everyone, Has anyone installed a water softener in their RV? I just purchased the Travelsoft 1200 water softener and will be installing it in a few weeks. I also purchased a Aquatec 550 VSD booster pump to increase our water pressure to 60psi. I will do my best to take as many pictures as possible and post the install.

Dan & Sherry
2012 Alpine 3700RE/Paralled Honda EU2000/Directv/Custom Underbed Weapon storage/Splendid Combo Washer/Dryer
2008 F250 6.4 Diesel 4X4, Airbags, Banks Big Hoss Package
dmsmacomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
ktmracer

we carry a "waterstick" water softener with use for use when we need it. Sure is nice in places with hard water. Only downside with the waterstick is the capacity in 'grains" is about 1/3 that of the bigger units, but it is quick and easy to recharge. For anyone who travels in areas with hard water, I highly recomend a water softener. Keeps the scum and buildup off stuff, makes for much nicer showers and cleaning.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
geo

Dmsmacomber -

I can't remember exactly where, but I do remember reading that the Pex connections are rated to 45 pounds pressure. If you boost your pressure, you might want to watch the connections for a while to be sure they are holding.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
dmsmacomber

Thanks Ron. I will keep an eye on them. I believe the manufacture safe operating pressure is 45 psi, which is normally lower than what the system can actually handle with acceptable risk. However, with everything there is that sense of getting every bit of performance out of our equipment. Hopefully, I will be a winner and not flood the trailer.

Dan & Sherry
2012 Alpine 3700RE/Paralled Honda EU2000/Directv/Custom Underbed Weapon storage/Splendid Combo Washer/Dryer
2008 F250 6.4 Diesel 4X4, Airbags, Banks Big Hoss Package
dmsmacomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
geo

Dan & Sherry -

You might also be interested in a post I did some time back.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...light=chemical

It includes a quick fix for hard water if you use your fresh water tank and aren't always in hard water areas.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
greenladypam

What I think is a good RV option water softener

Another good option for hard water conditioning is the Scalewatcher System which has been used for over 15 years,that's what i did and would recommend. There is a small unit they sell called a small wonder that we have used in our RV with great luck. I personally don't think there is need these days for a salt system when these little units work and are maintenance free. WWW.AQUAGENESISUSA.COM or other electric water softener sites. good luck!
greenladypam is offline   Reply With Quote