Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
OldNavyinCA

High Center Brake Light??

Right after I bought my '09 Passport I installed a "High Center Brake Light " on the rear panel. (yeah... I'm paranoid)

Anyone else done this?

Anyone interested in how I went about it?

Just let me know and I'll put together a write-up.

'09 Passport Ultra Lite 280BH
'05 Toyota Tacoma DblCab 4X4

Yeah... it works! Over 20K miles behind us so far.
OldNavyinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
jsmith948

High Center Light

Have not done this, but am certainly thinking about it. Actually thinking about replacing stop lights with LED and adding one or two up high.
Any pics or descriptions would be great.
BTW - is that a whale (A-3) in the picture?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
OldNavyinCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Have not done this, but am certainly thinking about it. Actually thinking about replacing stop lights with LED and adding one or two up high.
Any pics or descriptions would be great.
BTW - is that a whale (A-3) in the picture?
I like the LED idea, a lot! I actually put them on the rack I installed on the back of the rig that holds my generator.

I'll put together the way I went about mounting & wiring the High Center light as soon as I can. (gettin' ready for an in-law visit this week-end).

And, yup... that's a whale alright! Did avionics maint. and occasionally flew the BN seat when I was stationed at Alameda back in the mid '70s. Traps were a hoot!! Mostly referred to as "controlled crashes". LOL

Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
allentx1

I'd be interested in both the LED and the extra brake lights. Seems like we could remove the rectangular bargman assembly and drill out the hole to accomodate the LED (round) assemby. I'm going to assume they wire right up, not sure. Also, really interested in how you got the wiring up to that location.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
OldNavyinCA

[QUOTE=allentx1;33941 Also, really interested in how you got the wiring up to that location.[/QUOTE]

I was lucky in that the edge of the top bunk in my 280BH lands dead center on the back wall at a convenient height. I just ran the wiring across the inside of the mattress pan, down the back corner. through the floor and into my rear storage which gave me access to the back of the left rear light assembly. I wired in an isolater out of a hitch receiver brake light to keep the new light from flashing with the turn signals. I fashioned a shade out of some scrap plastic I had laying around and installed it above the new light to make it more visible in bright daylight. Works like a champ!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

i have seen this and think it is a great idea. i spend a lot of time on the interstates and often i can't see the lights on trailers infront of me, when another car is directly infront of me. makes it kinda hard to "plan" ahead while driving. i wanted to persue this idea my self, but never had the time to.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
hankaye

Howdy All;

Before I'd change any lighting arrangments that are on you RV
Please remember that there ARE rules and regulations as to how and where the lights are placed... Please read the following, it may save you a ticket and an impound fee.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/stan.../trlrpstr.html

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Justvisiting2day

lights regs

Hankaye:
those are for commercial rigs,,,I am quite sure. Course I won't double check either.
Put them up folks. If they allow those dang blue lights then do what you want.
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justvisiting2day View Post
Hankaye:
those are for commercial rigs,,,I am quite sure. Course I won't double check either.
Hey there. If by "them dang blue lights" you mean the cheap HID headlights or the Sylvania "super brights" Around here, there's a big push by the cops to write tickets for anyone who has lights that don't meet "somebody's" interpretation of the headlight rule. I've seen a big decrease in the blue lights that blind everyone around this area. All I can say is, "thanks Mr. Sheriff" I appreciate your persistence with those who think it's cool (KEWL)

I changed my tail lights to LED with a MAJOR improvement in visibility, but as for adding additional tail lights/stop lights, I don't want to be the "test case" to defend myself in a court somewhere in "podunk city" in a justice of the peace courtroom on Saturday morning. I'd rather meet the standard and keep driving through that little town without attracting any attention

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
hankaye

Justvisiting2day, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;34088
Hankaye:
Just trying to keep the 'One bullett Barneys' out of your wallet
Scroll down to the pictures if the words are confusing .... utitity, boat, horse and various other types of trailers are shown..... These rules apply to ALL trailers, it's how they can be ID'd at night...

I do know that pictures help...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
SteveC7010

I don't see any restriction regarding adding an extra set of S/T/T lights up higher above the existing ones. They are very common on many full size commercial vehicles that I have seen and appear to be installed at the time of construction of the vehicle.

I also didn't see any restrictions on adding a CHMSL either.

I would be interested to know why RV's are not required to have the conspicuity treatment taps on them.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentx1 View Post
I'd be interested in both the LED and the extra brake lights. Seems like we could remove the rectangular bargman assembly and drill out the hole to accomodate the LED (round) assemby. I'm going to assume they wire right up, not sure. Also, really interested in how you got the wiring up to that location.
No need to drill a 4" hole for the recessed flange mount LED's like you see on tractor trailers. The Bargman 07 series will fit in place of the existing 92 Series fixtures. Several folks here have already reported installing them with great success.

I like the 84/85 ones myself, but that's just personal preference.

All S/T/T wiring is pretty much the same on RV's new and old. They're still wiring them up like they have for many years.

Wiring the CHMSL is a little tougher because you have to find or make a stop light only voltage that doesn't flash, but it is doable.

Routing wiring on the rear of most Keystones is pretty easy because the skin is not fastened down except at the edges and where anything is installed like a ladder or window. If you have an existing hole like the one for the S/T/T's, it's pretty easy to use an electrician's snake and place wires where ever you need them.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote