Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #21
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
Hi Tireman9, I'm trying to do what's best for our RV . . Packing bearings, have TPMS etc. Is a free spin just what it sounds like? BTW after this year we're upgrading from load range C to D, we're on the third year this season and wondering about goodyears and or carlisles. Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thanks all for your advice

On my blog on RVTireSafety I have a post on how I "inspect my tires" that includes a short video showing "free spin" It's not a high speed spin but rotate by hand.

Sorry but I am not allowed to provide a hot link directly to the post.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #22
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM View Post
I think what you’re talking about is a run flat system. I have them installed on my 35’ TT. It will allow you to continue to tow it until you get to a repair shop. Fixing a flat or having a blowout is not fun on the open road. I don’t recall the cost but it was not cheap. It’s all about”what you are willing to tolerate for risk”. The payment written into a loan is negligible. Perhaps a few bucks difference per month.

Actual Run Flat as seen on some high end cars takes special ($$) tires. I know of no aftermarket system that can give you more than a couple miles of low speed mobility which is seldom enough to get to a repair shop.

Why not prevent tire failure in the first place. Inspection and TPMS are the two steps needed.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #23
mikz86ta

Wonder if it is a transferable system to new tires. I mean, if you travel alot, those cheapo stock RV tires treads will wear out. And $800+ additional each time you put new shoes on the RV is rediculous.
Also I want to see it installed.
I also want to see it in action during a real puncture failure of the tire.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote