Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
gregrc75

U-dinette to conventional booth dinette

I never liked the U-shaped dinettes. My last 2 trailers had the regular booth style and I thought it was more comfortable and roomier. I have a Bullet Premier and the 2011's have the U shaped style. Of course, the 2012's switched to a booth. Oh well!

Looking at the dinette it looks like I could easily remove the center portion on the dinette seat leaving the 2 seats that would form the booth. The only thing left would be to get a proper sized table. I would want the table to match the existing counters so it doesnt look like I modified it, or, make it out of wood and match the stain of the cabinets.

I guess my question is, has anyone done this? I definitly want the space to remain an eating area and I don't want to put a table and chairs, I like the extra storage in the booth seats. I guess I am just apprehensive to start removing and changing things too much since I have only had the trailer since July.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
f6bits

Funny, I thought the U dinette had more space. Now that I have the trailer, scooting around to the inside isn’t much fun. I’ll have to take a closer look to see what my options are. Here’s a link to ModMyRV’s page on dinette replacement:
http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/26/rv...te-replacement

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

We have had both and I love the U dinnett. Let the grand kids do the scooting around to the back. We our 2 folding chairs from Walmart on the open end and can seat 6 to play games when it rains. Just my 2¢ , your mileage may differ. :-)
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

On our dinette, there's a storage door to the outside in the back part of the U shape. Removing that would leave an access door in the wall at the back of the dinette. If you don't have that door, or if you have a "work around" for it, then it should be an easy mod. If, however you don't want to look at the aluminum frame of a door in your dinette, that might make it tougher to mod...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
gregrc75

Maybe my U-dinette is smaller than others. The table is only about 2/3 the size of tables I have had in the past with the booth. It seems like you can only get 3 adults in it and we put a chair on the open end to seat 4. I guess if it was larger maybe I would like it more.

I do not have any baggage doors, electrical outlets, wheel wells or anything at the dinette so it would be an easy mod.

Thanks for the links, it is always good to see what others have done. I am just not sure whether to take the plunge on a camper I have had for only 7 months!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

You might be able to get a standard table from someone (or dealer) who has swapped out for a free standing dinette. I'm not sure what you plan to do about cushions and you would loose the sleeping space if you need that. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
f6bits

I just checked my dinette. Yours looks to be about the same size. I pulled the back cushions and storage lid and sat in the side seat against the wall. The side seat can accommodate two medium-sized adults, but the poor sap against the wall won’t have any elbow room. At least with a U, the others can sit at an angle near the back and have full elbow room. I’ll be keeping mine as is.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
smiller

I think which is better depends on how many are sitting. More than 2, the u-shape can be advantageous. But if only two people normally sit it's a PITA.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I think which is better depends on how many are sitting. More than 2, the u-shape can be advantageous. But if only two people normally sit it's a PITA.
Good point! It is normally two and ocassionally 3 or 4.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
f6bits

Back to your original question…

When I opened mine up, the screws connecting rear seat’s wood panel were very easily accessible. I’d go for it. Remove those screws and see how it goes. Stop if it looks like you’ll have to be destructive. I’ve opened up many panels in my trailer and they’ve all come out without a fight and were easily reinstalled.

The only downside I saw is that my cushions don’t lend themselves to the configuration you propose. Side ones don’t go all the way back.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
Back to your original question…

When I opened mine up, the screws connecting rear seat’s wood panel were very easily accessible. I’d go for it. Remove those screws and see how it goes. Stop if it looks like you’ll have to be destructive. I’ve opened up many panels in my trailer and they’ve all come out without a fight and were easily reinstalled.

The only downside I saw is that my cushions don’t lend themselves to the configuration you propose. Side ones don’t go all the way back.
I think I might attempt it this weekend (tomorrow) and go carefully like you suggested. It does look like it will be an easy removal except for maybe just concealing a few screw holes.

The cushions on each side do go the full length of the sides. The cushions on the center seat go on the legnth of the section to be removed. Aside from a new table top it seems as if this mod will be simple, almost like the center section was an afterthought.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
f6bits

Your backrests looks like the same cushion configuration as mine. While your bottom cushions may go all the way back, the side ones stop far short due to the curved cushion in the corners.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
gregrc75

Well, this weekend I went out into the driveway with my screw gun. I was able to unscrew the center section. Once it was loose it appeared the whole center section stayed together as a unit and was easily removeable. That is when I became chicken and screwed it back in. I guess I am not emotionally ready to part with it, haha. Now I know, if at a later time, I can go ahead and do this with no problems. Thanks everyone for "talking" about it with me.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
Fairhaven, MA
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
KennyMack

Just my 2 cents here but you may find that the u booth more comfortable if you turn the table so the rounded edges are inside and the square is on the outside. I believe the Ubooth was made more for kids anyway.
KennyMack is offline   Reply With Quote