Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
MattHelm21

What does it take to collapse a sewer hose?

I hesitate to post this but I suppose it will be worth it if it prevents someone else from running into a similar situation. So, short answer, it takes a honey wagon and a very specific set of circumstances. We just got back from a trip to a NASCAR race and then Disney’s Fort Wilderness. While at the race, and knowing I’d have full hookups at Disney, I chose to use the honey wagon to dump. Everything went smoothly and we proceeded with the trip. I like to fill the holding tanks before dumping so at Disney, I did not hook the sewer up until just before leaving the campground at the end of our trip and this is where everything comes together. I have two 3 inch dump tubes with Valtera valves at the end of each. I dumped the rear first which went smoothly(didn’t use the honey wagon for that at the race), sealed things up and moved to the forward grey tanks and black tank. I went to open the Valtera valve first and there was some resistance which released suddenly and the sewer hose completely collapsed.

I’m sure some can guess what the cause was. The gentleman operating the honey wagon asked me to close the grey and black valves before disconnecting and then closed the Valtera valve apparently trapping a vacuum in the forward tube. Having dumped the rear tank first at the end of the trip and moving the sewer hose, there was liquid sealing the end of the hose. Had I opened the black or grey tank dump handles first, the vaccuum would have been released through the tank vents. However, with seals at both ends(tank valves and hose), the opening of the Valtera valve released vacuum into the hose which clearly was the weak point collapsing it.

I’m sure the planets will never align like this again but its now something else to remember.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
busterbrown

When a vacuum exists in an RV waste system, the flexible sewer hose will always lose. I read of this happening on another forum. Disconnecting from a honey wagon was the culprit. Hope it didn't make too much of a mess. Oh, the risks we take to dump our waste.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
MattHelm21

I upgraded everything to RhinoFlex when we got the Fuzion in 2016. It collapsed before releasing the waste so I checked to make sure there were no crimps or tears and proceeded to dump without any leaks. I still have to replace the hose since it hasn’t returned to its original shape but that RhinoFlex is some tough stuff.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
busterbrown

That Rhinoflex is definitely some good waste hose. My kiddos have stepped on it before an it usually springs back to shape. I originally had Camco's Revolution hose but that thing 'slithered' like a snake every time I emptied a full waste tank. Hated it. Amazon had a gratifying sale at the end of last summer and I picked up a replacement for next year. I think 3-4 solid seasons is about all you get out of these waste hoses.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:42 AM   #5
notanlines

Buster, "I think 3-4 solid seasons," with puns like that you should be ashamed.
MattHelm, I see exactly what you're talking about, I'm just amazed that you figured out how it happened.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:50 AM   #6
MattHelm21

It’s also interesting that I carried it for nearly 1000 miles and it sat for about 4 days without collapsing the pvc or escaping.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like some good seals on those valves.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote