Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
rcb

Power Help, Please.

We just got our camper (2014 Passport 2920BH) out of storage and put it in our drive. I put the batter back in and plugged it in. Everything was fine and appeared to be working. A couple of days later I realized it were not getting power to the camper and I had blown a breaker in the house. I flipped the breaker back on and now I am not getting any power at all to the camper, nothing will work. not on the battery or plugged in.

None of the breakers in the camper of fused appear to be bad. I have no idea what my next step should be? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
rcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Do you have any power in the trailer? AC or DC? If nothing, the circuit breaker in the house was blown, you may have a GFI in the circuit that the trailer is plugged into. Test that outlet with a drill or something to be sure you're getting power to the outlet the trailer is plugged into.

If you do have power there, then turn off all the circuit breakers in the trailer power center, turn on the main breaker, then one branch breaker at a time, starting with CON (converter) You should hear the fan come on as soon as you turn on the CON breaker. If not, check the reverse polarity fuses on the DC side. They are probably two red 40 amp fuses, located just to the left of the main DC fuse panel.

If none of the above helps, then use an extension cord and plug the trailer into a "known good outlet" to confirm that the trailer system is functional. Let us know if you're "up and running" and we can go from there if needed.

Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:22 AM   #3
Tinner12002

Also check that your battery disconnect, if your RV has one is set in the use position and not disconnected. Sometimes its easy to forget.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #4
rcb

I am running a heavy extension cord from the house to RV. I know I have power to the RV because the end of the cord lights up when it has power. I will get checking the other suggestions after I take my kid to school. However, I do not know where to find the battery disconnect or if I even have one.

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
rcb

I got out there and did some more checking. I noticed that my microwave has power and functions, but no power to anything I pulled my fuses and discovered the 2 40's on the left side of the panel are blow.

Gonna pick the 40's up later this afternoon. Any thoughts of what could have blown them? Maybe when I hooked the battery up? I didn't notice any problem at the time tho.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
Steveo57

I believe those are the reverse polarity protection fuses. Did you hook up the battery backwards?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup, those two "blown 40 amp fuses" are hard to find, so you may run into a problem buying replacements. They "only blow" if the battery is connected backwards. In other words, the positive cable on the negative battery terminal and the negative cable on the positive battery terminal. So, disconnect your battery BEFORE replacing those fuses or you'll blow the new ones too.....

Trailer cable connections do not follow automotive color standards. In a trailer, BLACK IS POSITIVE and WHITE IS NEGATIVE...... On some "brand new models" the manufacturer has started using RED IS POSITIVE and BLACK (or white) IS NEGATIVE..... So, as confusing as it is, apparently your battery is currently connected "backwards".....

ADDED: Since your trailer is a 2014 model, I'd suspect it is the "old color code" and your black cable should be connected to the positive battery terminal and the white cable should be connected to the negative battery terminal. I think when you look at it, you'll see that it's hooked up wrong.

Let us know if you have any problems or if you get things working.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Every trailer I've had with a white ground cable I've used a permanent marker and placed a "-" and NEG on the cable as close to the ring terminal as possible. Saved me from replacing those fuses a couple of times.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
rcb

You guys nailed it! I hooked the battery up backwards for sure. I stopped everywhere trying to find a fuse. I finally drove 35 min to Countryside in Pana, IL and they were even out of stock on the sales floor. Luckily, the staff was so helpful he went back to the shop and got me one.

I am back up and running but haven't put the battery back in yet. I will do that when the rain stops in a week. And I will be sure to mark the cables.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:21 AM   #10
jsmith948

Don't know about your area, but NAPA auto parts is a good source for the 40 amp fuses.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
rcb

ya, had to go to auto parts store and get a box of them.

Thanks again

Tags
power