Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
KrowNB

Hideout 25RKS - Is this normal?

We purchased our first trailer last fall and are just getting it ready for this year's travels. In the oblique sun the other day I noticed the sides of the slide were bulged out, something you can't readily see in direct sunlight or shade. Is this a normal thing or am I looking at a problem? (Hope the pics post OK)
https://db.tt/rXRdBn35XZ
https://db.tt/HqqU6xNpq3
Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

That does not look normal to me. If still under warranty, I would let the dealer know. Maybe even send them those photos. Get it on record, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I'm unable to reach the pictures in the links. I can't say I've ever noticed any bulging sides on a slide, but then I haven't looked that closely at the sides. Does the slide open and close properly? Are there any signs inside or out of water damage such as wetness or soft materials? Are all the seals on the slide in good condition? Sorry to have more questions than answers. Some others will chime in to help you figure it out too. If it is a problem it should go back to the dealer since it's still under warranty. Good luck.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
KrowNB

Lets try this..

Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Jeepshots

Looks like the side is oil canning. Almost like the fiberglass sheet is not attached to the wall substrate.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

That's not right. You need to get it back to the dealer and get repairs in the works. Something like that can drag out I'm afraid.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Hank. From what I saw at the factory and from the construction of my slides in the Springdale and the Cougar, that's not normal. At the factory, the slides I saw in construction were all "vacuum formed foam core" construction and there was no "free floating" sidewall on any of them. I'd be concerned with the seal wipers rubbing against those "high areas" damaging the wipers and excessively wearing the FILON.

Hank suggested sending the pictures to the dealer. I'd do that, also make an appointment for the dealer to inspect it and I'd also send the photos to Keystone (from the customer section of their website). I do believe you're going to meet with some resistance (or maybe just reluctance) from the dealer and from Keystone, but I'd insist this issue be addressed and repaired. Remember, once the warranty has ended, you'll have an almost impossible battle getting Keystone to do anything. Even if it's documented during the warranty and not repaired, you're facing an uphill battle. I'd insist they fix it now, not "defer with documentation" for any repairs after the warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
KrowNB

Lets try this...

I sent them to my dealer. He's been really good with me so far and has a good reputation in this area for after-sales service. He told me that with some models, like mine, this is normal construction - the outside sheet is not affixed to the underling wall. While camping this weekend I noticed some other trailers that seem to have the same look. It still under warranty so want to ensure if it is a fault that it's fixed.

(Seems I found out how to attach the images but not rotate them....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_130527.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	12735   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_130536.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	12736  
Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Tbos

I don't think it looks right either. I'd be visiting a bunch of other dealers that sell Hideouts to verify construction of the sides of the slides.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I don't think it looks right either. I'd be visiting a bunch of other dealers that sell Hideouts to verify construction of the sides of the slides.

I've looked at LOTS of trailers including Hideouts and never saw that phenomenon. I'm sure others have as well and doubt they've seen it either. I could be wrong but don't think so.

Give pics to the dealer and Keystone customer service/owner relations. The dealer will have to be your advocate. Keystone will refer you to a dealer....and then it begins. Do not let either of them "blow you off" with a simple denial. You will pay the price in the long run if you accept it.

As Tbos suggested, I would be at lots of dealerships looking at like trailers (not exact model but Hideouts) to see if they are the same - I would bet not.

As John mentioned, there will probably be issues with your seals. I don't see any way the side seals are going to be flexible enough to form to all of the undulations in the side thus leaving you spots where it isn't sealed over time. Plus, those raised portions can't help to either wear the seals more quickly, or worse, eventually catch them (when they get dirty) and peel under as the slide comes in.

Any way you slice it it doesn't look right to me. You need to start the claim with Keystone now. When it gets to 12 months, unless you are that special one in a million, they will tell you your warranty is expired no matter where you are in the process or when you filed the claim. Good luck and let us know.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Canonman

We had the same issue with our Cougar. It's the materials they used. It's more like a rolled sheet material rather than a panel. We got ours replaced under the warranty to the panel material. No water damage under the original material. It's just really thin like 1/32nd whereas the panels are more like 1/4. The finish is also different. The thin material is rough textured and matte finish while the panels are smooth and glossy like the regular exterior sides of the TT. We just showed our service tech that the material was loose i.e. not "glued" to the walls of the slide. They turned it in and Keystone approved the replacement.
Since then we have seen other units with tis same material on the slides. Maybe a new cost saving thing??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_1475 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	12737  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #12
KrowNB

My dealer says that this model has panels like this and that some other makes do as well. I've sent an email with pics to Keystone. We'll see. My dealer is about an hour away. I'll try to get out there in the next week or two to have a look at other Hideouts. I don't know who else sells them in this area.

It's only when the sun hits it at a sharp angle that the curvature is apparent. I never noticed it before (pics attached of it in the shade). The whole "bulge" is only about 1/8", maybe 1/4" at most. I appears as if this is "the" panel. I can feel solidness behind it but only in areas where it seems there is framing. It doesn't seem like there is anything else other than insulation(???) behind it elsewhere.

(Sorry, still can't figure out how to rotate photos. They sere taken with my phone upright)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170523_144146.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	12738   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_144200.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	12739  
Old 05-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

My dealer is 60 miles from me - about an hour. Don't let that get in the way of you getting up there and getting front and center on this. I've been known to make 2 round trips in a day to my dealer when I'm hot and heavy on them

Who are you talking to at the dealer? I don't know the hierarchy of their business but don't talk to anyone less than the service manager, and maybe, the GM/owner.

Don't tell them you're coming and just drop in. Reference their claim that the Hideouts have "those" kinds of panels as well as some other models. Tell them to take you straight out and show them to you. Maybe they do make waffly slide sides on some trailers....I've never seen one in all my looking. Maybe it was the light, or maybe they were actually flat....I don't know. Yours sure look like they are not bonded to the underlayment or the underlayment wasn't attached to the frame properly.

It may or may not be an issue but remember when the warranty runs out you will own the problem no matter how bad it gets.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:48 PM   #14
gbsb

I have a 2017 Hideout 26RLSWE and my slide out does not look like that. I have found some loose paneling inside and a dent I did not see when I picked the unit up. I stapled the paneling down. The dent is by the top of the slide and I just re caulked round it with silicone. I figured once I left the dealers lot the dent was mine. I have also had to caulk around the water heater cover on the outside. Now I need to caulk around the shower , water leaks out when we use the shower. Good luck on the slide walls and I would have another dealer look at it. I have had trailers for the last 20 years and never seen a slide look like that..
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:33 AM   #15
KrowNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
I have a 2017 Hideout 26RLSWE and my slide out does not look like that.<Snip>
Thanks for replying. Do the sides of your slide have a glossy rough texture of are they smooth?
Old 05-31-2017, 11:52 PM   #16
gbsb

My says it is smooth I have no idea but will look when I get home . We work nights from 6 pm to 6 am.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:42 AM   #17
KrowNB

I visited my dealer the other day. They had another 2017 Hideout, different model but with 3 slides, there. All six ends of the slides were like mine. The dealer says that's the way they are constructed. A few other brands had similar bulging in their sides but different material. I did see another Hideout, manufactured in April, 2017 (MY 2018?) that had a different type of material on the slide ends that didn't seem to show the curvature as much but was not bonded to the frame behind either. I'm thinking Keystone used one material in 2016 production then changed to something slightly heavier this year.

Tags
hideout