Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 AM   #1
SummitPond

TPMS replacement?

While shopping for a new set of tires for my TV, all the "chain" tire dealers (including Sears) said I need a TPMS kit in addition to all the other "normal" add-ons. The dealership, however (who happens to have the best price overall) says the TPMS kit is not required (this is one of the reasons their price is better).

It appears this will be the first set of replacement tires (we bought the truck used, but the spare is in perfect condition and is the same brand/model as the other tires); the TV has a little over 66K miles on it.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:29 AM   #2
busterbrown

Re: TPMS replacement?

I read once that the average service life for TPMS sensors is 6-8 years. Don't know how true that is. But I ended up buying new sensors for my 08 Yukon Denali as I installed new wheels, tires and valve stems 10 months ago. I figured my TV had seen 2 sets of tires on wheels with over 90k miles and I didn't want to chance a failure. I think I spent $60 on 4 sensors. Cheap insurance in my eyes.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The only "time limited" problem with the TPMS sensors is the battery life. Once the battery is depleted (usually about 6 years) it needs to be replaced. It's easier (and more profitable) for a dealership or a chain store to sell a "replacement kit" than to change the batteries on a TPMS with replaceable battery provisions (some have sealed batteries and can't be replaced).

Depending on the age of your vehicle, you may need new batteries or you may not. I wouldn't replace the TPMS sensors "just because". You can always replace the one or two as they fail and if they don't fail, well you've saved the money......

When buying new sensors, remember that they are a "high priced item" at most dealerships and chain stores. You can buy a complete set at Amazon or on EBay for less than $40. That's $10 each. Most dealerships want $30-40 for one sensor. So..............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
SummitPond

John

Is the battery (or kit) something that is serviceable from outside the tire? Or must the tire be removed from the rim to do this.

Thanks.

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
John

Is the battery (or kit) something that is serviceable from outside the tire? Or must the tire be removed from the rim to do this.

Thanks.
AFAIK you have to remove the tire (or at least break the bead to access the inside part of the TPMS unit. There are some aftermarket TPMS systems that screw onto the valve stem with batteries on the outside, but I have never seen an OEM TPMS that is "outside the tire".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
bobbecky

Every time I get new tires on the TV, they charge for a kit for each wheel, which 'Includes Valve Cap and Core, Grommet and Retaining Nut'. Not sure if it is federal law or state law, but suspect it is federal. Never have I been told I need new TPMS sensors, which, if they fail due to battery malfunction, it will be obvious as I'm sure there will be some sort of check light or message displayed.
https://www.densoproducts.com/TPMS-M...cts-c1609.aspx
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
AFAIK you have to remove the tire (or at least break the bead to access the inside part of the TPMS unit.
Thanks. That's what I figured.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Every time I get new tires on the TV, they charge for a kit for each wheel, which 'Includes Valve Cap and Core, Grommet and Retaining Nut'.
If memory fails me correctly, every time I get a new tire (for any vehicle) I am charged for a new valve stem (perhaps the shorthand name of your list of items?)

I'm going with dealer recommendation (and everyone else's, too); just replace the tire, no TPMS kit.

Thanks.