Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Travisfaherty

A little common sense mod on my 314BHS

New to trailers buthave to say that they shoe horn stuff everywhere and common sense doesn't always prevail. Got my trailer 3 weeks ago and it was cold and rainy and after fighting toget it in the yard and level I was tired and wet. But I wanted to get it all hooked up and checked out. So hooked up the water and turned it on and headed in to get changed. 10 minutes later walk in trailer and rear bunk house was a pool. Could not find leak. Well ne'er bottom drivers side is the water pump and shore power. Luckily shore power was not hooked up. I don't ever want to have this issue again so I built a box for pump to sit in and drain outside the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1171.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	11493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1192.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	11494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	11495  
Travisfaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Re: A little common sense mod on my 314BHS

Just curious, you said you never found a leak. If the rear of the trailer was a pool after 10 minutes like you describe there must be a pretty significant leak somewhere.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Travisfaherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Just curious, you said you never found a leak. If the rear of the trailer was a pool after 10 minutes like you describe there must be a pretty significant leak somewhere.

Sorry the leak was from the water pump. Mine has a little plastic square piece on end held on by 2 screws. Broke one ear on pump. It was like a fire hose coming through pump.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
busterbrown

Just a thought, you might want to run a dehumidifier in your bunkhouse for a while and try to mitigate mold growth. I personally would rather have an electrical short verses a flooded coach.

I'm curious if you tested the water system prior to purchase. Seems like you "acquired" a broken pump from the previous owner. I wonder if it wasn't properly winterized and how long it sat for.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
Travisfaherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Just a thought, you might want to run a dehumidifier in your bunkhouse for a while and try to mitigate mold growth. I personally would rather have an electrical short verses a flooded coach.

I'm curious if you tested the water system prior to purchase. Seems like you "acquired" a broken pump from the previous owner. I wonder if it wasn't properly winterized and how long it sat for.
I tested water before we bought trailer. I was on city water and had pump on thinking it needed to be on. Think that caused issue. Trailer was dried of all water and dehumidified.

If issue happens again the water will be contained and redirected.

As an electrician I hate water near electricity. Numerous things can happen and it doesn't short or trip. Like floor is wet and energized I middle of night. Kid hops out of bed to use restroom and gets lit up.

Tags
mod