Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
slider

Sewer Hose Tray/Ramp

After several trips messing around with running hose across the ground or those telescoping hose stands and after many frustrating drain emptying episodes as the hose support fell over or hose drooped between sections, etc, I discovered something that works extremely well...

While camping this summer I saw a guy who had a simple set up with PVC pipe. I copied it and tried it out and was very pleased. Basically it is an 8' length of 4" PVC pipe cut in half so you have two 8' pieces of half pipe or trough. Then put a slot down the middle of them. On one piece slot about a 3' section - leave a foot on one end and four feet on the other unslotted, on the other piece I slotted all of it leaving about a foot from each end unslotted. (I think I may do another one and not slot so much of the pipe because it makes it sag some - may not matter because it still worked better than anything I've tried yet.) Then overlap the two pieces and put a bolt in the slot (thru both pieces) that allows it to telescope in/out. Now you just need something to raise and hold it up - I used plywood cut with a half moon and fit it over the end under the drain.

Not a big deal or particularly cool mod because after all you shouldn't have to spend alot of time setting up or worrying about emptying your tanks, but now I don't.

Here's a few pics:

Here's a shot of the underside showing where I cut a small piece of the left over PVC pipe and then ran bolt thru it. You can see the wingnut but I don't tighten/loosen it.

slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
DocData757

I went one step easier... I used 2 pieces to 8'. vinyl gutter. No cutting necessary.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
ksfis43

X2 But I use 1-8' gutter cut in half works great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
I went one step easier... I used 2 pieces to 8'. vinyl gutter. No cutting necessary.

2011 Passport 280BH LE
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
ksfis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

i seen thisn, but made out of wood. i figured it would get kinda heavy, so i didn't bother with it, but this on the other hand looks easy and light. i love PVC
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
SteveC7010

I use a couple of 30" pieces of 4" thin wall PVC cut in half lengthwise. They are kept in the plastic tote box with stinky slinky and some other bits and pieces that are reserved exclusively for gray/black water handling.

IMHO, stinky slinky and concrete or asphalt should never touch each other. Both are more abrasive than sandpaper and will chew holes in the hose after just one or two uses. So the pieces of PVC are used to prevent this at the dump station. Since I started using them 6 or 7 years ago, I have only replaced the hose once. Prior to that, I typically bought a new hose every year.

An added benefit is that this keeps the hose in a straight line when it fills with liquid rather than expanding and snaking all over the place.

As an aside, the inside of the 4" steel bumper on our TT's tends to rust almost immediately and becomes just as abrasive as concrete or asphalt. As much as the RV sales folks will tout the bumper as storage for your sewer hose, it's not really a good place for it at all. Besides, folks are migrating to the 90 degree fittings on the far of these hoses and those fittings will not fit in a 4" bumper.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote