Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
theallde

Range & Oven Removal - install Toaster Oven

Wife would like the current one-piece range/oven replaced with a cooktop/toaster oven - this would be a better option to the current mediocre oven.

The plan is to remove the one-piece, install the cooktop, board up the oven space, and install the Breville toaster oven where the oven use to be.

Has anyone done this or if anyone has any comments, I'd welcome your input.

What I'll do for some good baking treats ...... Don
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The only issue I see is the heat from the toaster oven. Your current oven is vented at the rear of the range. The toaster oven is going to generate heat that's going to "collect" under the cook top.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Chuckster57 is right. They do not dissipate heat in the same manner. Over the years we have managed to melt/brown/singe/burn any number of things in the proximity of our toaster ovens. Making sure the heat can get out, without making everything under the cooktop mega hot, might be a trick.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
theeyres

Thought it was a great idea but worried about the heat, too. I did a search on the question and a solution that people use in their homes is to build a box with all the required clearances, leave the front of the box completely open and just set the Toaster Oven in the box. I'm not sure if the old oven space would meet those requirements or not.

There evidently are some brands of zero clearance toaster ovens.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:29 AM   #5
notanlines

Just as a place to start, this came from the Breville site: "Ensure there is a minimum distance of 4" (10cm) of space on both sides of the appliance." Might turn out to be a problem.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:30 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The Breiville Smart Oven Plus dimensions are (W) 18½ x (D) 15¾ x (H) 11

There is a caution in the owner's manual stating to maintain 4" on each side and 6" on top (from all walls and flammable materials) during operation.

That means the space where the oven is "built in" or "located under the rangetop" would have to be (W) 18½ +8" = 26½ x (D) 15¾ +4"= 19¾ x (H) 11 +6" =17

That means building a cavity about (W) 27 x (D) 20 x (H) 17 (minimum). Since the oven is 110VAC, you'd only be able to operate it when connected to shore power or a generator. If you can devise a way to meet that space requirement and can accept the electrical limitations, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'd be very careful when using it since those space requirements are the "minimum" and depending on the length of time the oven is operating, you may find things get "pretty hot" behind or on top of the oven.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Just a thought, have you considered replacing the microwave with a microwave/convection unit? High pointe makes them and I am contemplating the switch. As a baker, I agree the ovens are less than adequate for much more than a pan of biscuits.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
dcg9381

Convection ovens are great - basically the best of both worlds..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #9
Desert185

Somewhat related...

My son bought me a set for my birthday (I like to cook). A side benefit is that the heavy duty, ceramic lined cookware can be used in the oven (up to 350 degrees). The temp control is amazing, making me toss my crock pots that are either too cold or too hot. I plan to take the PIC Gold version in the toy hauler for outside kitchen cooking use. Sear mode does a quick boil for pasta, BTW.

https://www.nuwavecooktop.com/?ref_v...hSsxoCXZXw_wcB

The oven in the trailer, as limited as it is, does well for garlic bread (the non-toasty, less crunchy version) to go with our pre-prepared spaghetti sauce, so it still has a purpose for which cooks must adapt.

The trailer's kitchen may not be gourmet, but it is camping and much better than an old Coleman stove I still have for contingencies I hope never occur.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
Murphsmom

I love having an oven in my trailer. We use it for a lot of things, including pizza. I have cooked a leg of lamb in it when the temp in the house was high enough that we didn't want to cook inside, and actually made Thanksgiving turkey (a hen turkey split in half) on many occasions. Thanksgiving in the trailer was a regular celebration when the kids were younger.

I know that right now you are probably not contemplating selling your home on wheels, but I know that if I were looking for one, I wouldn't consider one without an oven.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #11
notanlines

Like Murphsmom, we would not own an RV with no oven. We learned that with propane we use an insulating cookie sheet under everything we bake and no burned bottoms. And we also make sure to not use a baking sheet that is too big for the oven. One needs plenty of room for the heat to get around the pan.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
theallde

Thank you everyone for your input.

While we would have the minimum side clearance requirements we decided to leave the range/oven in place and place the toaster oven on the "coffee bar" counter. This would still allow us plenty of counter space since we have a kitchen island plus being on the counter makes baking at eye level. The toaster oven will be secured with 1" nylon web, the same as the coffee maker is currently secured, during travel.

Again, thank you for your input ..... Don

Attachment 10544
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

It looks like it belongs there... Glad you solved your problem. We have an under the cabinet mounted Black & Decker that has followed us in three trailers. It was a great idea, but no longer made, probably for safety reasons with clearance if not installed correctly. Don't know what we will do when it no longer works. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #14
denverpilot

Don, I love your idea of using some nylon web to secure stuff up there. We currently take down and stow the coffee pot under the sink for travel, and I would rather just leave it on the countertop. (You're a braver man than I, though, using a glass coffee pot. We got a thermal carafe version with stainless steel carafe so if it decides to bounce around, we won't have glass everywhere.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Like Murphsmom, we would not own an RV with no oven. We learned that with propane we use an insulating cookie sheet under everything we bake and no burned bottoms. And we also make sure to not use a baking sheet that is too big for the oven. One needs plenty of room for the heat to get around the pan.
I use an oven stone and nothing ever gets burnt. Baking, pizza and nearly everything goes on it and I've never had a problem