Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Quint58

Question Interior wiring

I have a Keystone 27 Bunk House Sport. It is pre-wired for a stereo AM/FM/CD however it was never factory installed. I have ID the speaker wires there are 4 interior. However the power wires appear to be configured in one long loop. They are white/green stripped. not wanting to split the wires until I am sure which one is hot, which one is ground ect.. anyone have any suggestions? Or better yet a wiring diagram for this model year. Thanks in advance.
Quint58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck finding a wiring diagram for any Keystone product. There are numerous requests for these and I've never seen anyone "fess up" to having found one. Realistically, like a stick built home, there's a "general scheme" to the wiring, but the actual particulars are as individual as the electrician who did the job.

On many RV's the term "pre-wired for stereo" means the speaker wires have been run through the ceiling, but no other wires are run. The 12VDC supply and ground wires are simply not supplied. But they are simple to run and if you've found a "green/white" wire in the area, you might be able to use it to supply your power. That is, if it has 12 VDC all the time. It might be the water pump supply line, or a clearance light line, etc. If so it won't have power on it all the time. Check it and go from there.

Before you start looking for a 12 VDC lead, UNPLUG the shore power line (110 VAC) !!!!! If you happen to pick up a hot AC line accidentally, you may be in for a shocking suprise !!!!! Better safe than sorry, unplug the power line.

As for identifying your wires, My guess is that the "green/white loop" you see is most likely a capped "dead end" wire, and is dedicated to power in that area, possibly just for the stereo. You can find out if it is hot by using a VOM with a sharp terminal on the lead. If you don't have a lead like that, stick a pin in the wire and use regular VOM leads. You'll need a good ground for the other lead, so maybe a wire to chassis ground connected to the neg lead. If the wire does have 12VDC on it, you can cut the wire, connect both ends (or use a Scotchlock splice) which is one of the familiar blue ones that clips over the existing wire and the new wire is inserted in a hole, the metal connector squeezed shut and the insulator folded over. They are available at any autoparts store or electronics supplier.

I urge you, before you start reaching your hand into dark places in an RV and/or measuring voltages, unplug your trailer's 110Volt supply. No need to run the risk of contacting high voltage AC circuits !!!!!

If you can't find an active 12 VDC source, it's pretty simple to run one from the battery to the area you plan to install a radio. Just be sure to put an inline fuse in the wire to protect from overloading the line and possibly causing a fire.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Quint58

Wiring

JRTJH, that was just as I had suspected..your answer just confirmed it further for me. I have called Keystone directly a couple of times prior and was told by their customer service guys that they would send the diagrams for my particular model ect but it never arrived that's what brought me to the forums. I will figure it all out eventually.
Quint58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
CPE

wiring

I had same issue with bathroom light in my 343RL; had to have bedroom light on for bath light to work. Rewired it myself after I was told by cust. serv. that plt. mgr said about a dozen got out the door like this before it was caught. Told this to Gen Mgr. and he said that's the way they are supposed to be wired. Very stupid when anyone gets up at night to use the bath on goes room light! I installed 2 3way switches (one at each door) that operate ANY time you need them.
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote