Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
GrumpyG

Leveling your Travel Trailor

How many of you find campgrounds where you don't need to level side to side? I bought the Anderson Levelers and I was wondering how much I would be using them...
GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:22 AM   #2
lspajm

I have yet to find a level site yet that I do not need some type of leveler side to side

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:33 AM   #3
scott24

Guess it depends on how well things were leveled when the campsites were built. The site we go to quite a bit is perfectly level.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:30 AM   #4
Harleyhop

You can never go wrong with extra levelers. Very few CG out there have level sites IMO
Old 07-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
hankaye

GrumpyG, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyG View Post
How many of you find campgrounds where you don't need to level side to side? I bought the Anderson Levelers and I was wondering how much I would be using them...
The Earth is NOT FLAT !!!!!! Ok, some spots can be leveled by human
effort with heavy equipment .... generally campgrounds don't do anything
more to cut into the profit margin than is absolutely necessary or to
"disrupt" Mother Nature... Just my thoughts about stuff...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
SLIMSHADIE

I almost always having to use a 2x8 on one side or the other.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Almost every campsite "concrete pad" that I've encountered has some "drainage slope" built into it. If not, it would hold water and in winter the freeze/thaw would crack the concrete surface. So, no matter where you turn, you'll likely have some slope to contend with. I've found a couple of 2x8 blocks or for the "light weight folks" a couple of "stax blocks" are all that is usually needed to get "perfectly level". But then, let out the slide and it's no longer "perfectly level"........

More or less, a "flat concrete pad" is more a "wish for" than a "reality"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
Javi

I used to haul all sorts of 2x8", plastic stacks, and wedges to get my trailer level and then rarely used them unless the site was really bad.

In fact while most pads whether concrete or rock have a slope I've only found a couple here in Texas that required me to pull the trailer onto a wedge to get it close to level side to side.. I have had to play around with stacks under my tongue jack in order to have room to level the trailer front to back and still be able to re-hitch afterward..

When we bought the Cougar with the Lippert Ground Control system all that pretty much went away... now I carry a few 2x12x12 boards to put under the jack plates when on un-level or soft ground...
Old 07-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
Way Of Life

Was never fond of wood blocks. Do your self a favor and buy the Lynx levelers. Make sure you also purchase the tops to go along with them. Each block equals 1" so it is easy to determine how many to use. The tops add no height but simply give a nice smooth flat surface park on. Being made of plastic they are vurtually indestructable.....unlike wood which cracks....splinters and makes a mess. The Lynx also comes packed in a convenient bag that holds 10 of the blocks. Can be found at most Walmart stores. The tops I purchased on Amazon.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
theeyres

About 50% of nice RV parks are perfectly level. Very few sites in National Forests, state parks and national park are level. Those Andersen's sound great. I just haven't justified the cost for two of them yet.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
GaryWT

We carry lynx levelers and generally put one under the wheels and I think the most we have used is 3 under the wheels. There have been a couple places that nothing was needed. What we don't use under the wheels we use with the corner jacks.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Side to side I used to be phobic about being exactly centered in the bubble. Not so much now. If my bubble is between the lines or very close to it I don't worry. That said, probably 50% of the locations we go to (developed campgrounds) are level enough.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #13
CFDfireman90

After the back and forth stacking of my plastic yellow leveling blocks on our second and still on camping trip, I have invested in a pair of Andersen levelers.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
BadDogWillie

It really depends on how picky you are.

Bad Dog Willie
Moving down the road!
BadDogWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #15
Desert185

Andersen levelers are about the most simple solution to leveling I have found. Install, move trailer while DW monitors stick-on level at corner of trailer and stop when she is observed to be frantically waving both arms to signal that bubble is centered.

Note to self: Ensure DW is wearing her glasses prior to the process, smile, then offer cool beverage of her choice for her effective assistance.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #16
tirnanah

Has anyone found a nice big bubble level like they make for fifth wheels that will fit on the front of the new style "aerodynamic" (meaning that it is not flat) travel trailers? I want something big enough for me to see in the rear view so it's easier to level by myself in case the DW is busy with keeping the kids occupied while I set up camp... Those little ones can't be easily seen in the rearview, but I love my dad's big one on his 5th...

BTW, another vote for the anderson levelers... Just got my set and leveling the trailer at the house was the easiest it every has been, and trust me, my driveway/yard is anything BUT level...

Thanks,
Doug
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #17
{tpc}

I have one pack of the lynx and they work great! Last site we were at, we were perfectly level however. I couldn't believe it. Just unhitched and leveled front to back and done.

I would say most of the time I have to use at least one of the lynx blocks to get it level.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirnanah View Post
Has anyone found a nice big bubble level like they make for fifth wheels that will fit on the front of the new style "aerodynamic" (meaning that it is not flat) travel trailers? I want something big enough for me to see in the rear view so it's easier to level by myself in case the DW is busy with keeping the kids occupied while I set up camp... Those little ones can't be easily seen in the rearview, but I love my dad's big one on his 5th...

BTW, another vote for the anderson levelers... Just got my set and leveling the trailer at the house was the easiest it every has been, and trust me, my driveway/yard is anything BUT level...

Thanks,
Doug
WheelMaster makes a large level. It's the one usually found (with brackets) mounted on the pinbox of fifth wheels. On the ETrailer website there's a video showing it mounted on the front lower corner of a travel trailer. Depending on the type of front cap you have, it may work for you. Here's the link to the video: http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Wheel-...FRCCaQodQF8Nqg

With an aerodynamic front cap, you may have to consider mounting a "standoff" to either your tongue jack or your propane cover to attach a level. I wouldn't suggest drilling holes in the front cap. If nothing else, it could set up future problems with cracks that run from the holes or leaks that would be hard to seal. Plus, it would probably look "just plain cheesy".....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHEELMASTER TRAILER LEVEL.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	9012  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:16 AM   #19
barchak

Leveling your Travel Trailor

I have an curved cap on my Laredo 303TG and I have the Hopkins graduated levels. I installed one on the front cap just above the propane enclosure behind the tongue jack. The second one is just above the street side baggage compartment. They are small and discrete (3 3/4 x 1 1/2"). I like the graduated feature, because it tells you how many inches you are off. 1" of side to side = one Lynx leveler under each low side wheel. 1/2" = one Lynx leveler under one wheel on low side.

I initially used double sided tape to mount, but they kept rotating and would not stay parallel with the trailer. I finally screwed them into the cap and the side wall sealed with caulk in the acre hole. 2 years no issues.

I purchased the WheelMaster, but I did not use it for a couple of reasons. First, it is really large and and thick causing it to protrude from where it is mounted. Second although the WheelMaster has an adjustment on the small front to back level, my front cap has more slope than it could accommodate. Ultimately, it was the size which dissuaded me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barchak is offline   Reply With Quote