Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Timon

Golf Cart or equivalent

When we get our 5er we'd like something to run around the parks with. A golf cart would be just the thing but they are too large to carry unless you have a toy hauler.

Than I came across this from RV Rover.

Has anyone ever used or seen one of these?

They weigh less than 350 pounds, either gas (39 miles per gallon) or electric (8 miles per charge).

However you need a Class 5 hitch to cary one. Would that be an issue on a Montana or Montana High Country?

Lastly any other carts once can use where you don't need a toy hauler?
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
GaryWT

Interesting design. Looks like it would work. Just be sure to double check what campgrounds allow them and which states allow double towing.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Timon

You don't tow it. It's only only 300 or 350 pounds and it hangs on the hitch just like a bicycle rack. So you need a hitch that can handle it.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
GaryWT

Ok, I see. Good luck with it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You said in your first post that this cart requires a cat V hitch. I don't know of anyone who has installed a hitch that "strong" on any fifth wheel.

You can check the different categories of hitches at this website: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

The majority of hitches welded to the back of most RV's are category 3 and a very few are category 4, but I've not seen any with a cat 5 hitch. In fact, most hitches that strong are installed on a 1 ton SRW/dually or bigger.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
Timon

I checked again and it needs a class 3 or grater. It needs to be a ole to handle about 400 pounds.

My bad.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:02 AM   #7
GmaPaTime

In theory this product sounds like a great idea for most of us that cannot tow with our trailers. However, I question the ability of that thing riding even on a well-supported hitch on the back of any trailer. It seems like that would be a lot of weight bouncing around and I would hate to see that thing come off while doing 55 mph.

After reading so many posts regarding the weakness of either factory or custom installed hitches to these trailer frames, I spoke to a welder that does trailer repairs about having one installed on ours. He stating that he will no longer weld hitches to newer trailer frames for the intended purpose of hanging a storage basket off the hitch. He feels the frames supplied now are too thin and has seen too many of them crack because of the excess bouncing with so much weight on the hitch.

I know this was only the opinion of one welder and that many will disagree but it does sound logical and supports what many forum members have been saying.

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

CURT Hitch company markets a bolt on trailer hitch assembly to mount on the rear frame rails of most travel trailer/fifth wheels. This bolt on hitch meets the requirements for a cat 2 hitch, but is not strong enough to carry a static load as heavy as the cart in question. Also, even though I see a number of people who use this hitch to carry a "cargo basket" CURT warns that the hitch is not designed to support a "non trailer" load without additional stabilizing straps. The concern, I believe, is that a basket "bounces" on the back of a trailer and without added support to stop the bouncing, it could "shake the frame/hitch mechanism enough to cause damage or failure.

There are some hitch manufacturers who build a cat 2 hitch (which usually has a 1.25" receiver tube) and include a 2" receiver tube and call it a "cat 3 hitch". A "true cat 3" hitch is rated at 600/6000 pounds, not 350/3500 pounds, so look carefully at the hitch rating to be sure you're getting a "real" cat 3 hitch, not a "modified Cat 2 hitch with a 2" receiver tube that's "called a Cat 3".

Here's the warning in the owner's manual for the CURT Hitch trailer receiver"

GROSS LOAD CAPACITY WHEN USED AS A WEIGHT CARRYING HITCH: 3500 LBS. TRAILER WEIGHT & 350 LBS. TONGUE WEIGHT.
***DO NOT EXCEED VEHICLE MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDED TOWING CAPACITY.***
WARNING: ALL NON-TRAILER LOADS APPLIED TO THIS PRODUCT MUST BE SUPPORTED BY AUXILIARY STABILIZING STRAPS.
** FAILURE TO PROPERLY SUPPORT NON-TRAILER LOADS WILL VOID PRODUCT WARRANTY**

The reason for the weight concern with a "bouncing load" isn't just with CURT Hitches, but with any load that is hung off the back of an RV that has no shocks and a "rough riding" rear bumper area. Anything loaded that far behind the axles of an RV will be subject to a significantly rough ride and potential damage or even hitch failure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #9
TheRealMacGyver

I like this and would also like a cart for campgrounds, but currently a full size cart isn't an option. What about putting it on a front hitch? Might be crazy, I don't know, just thought I'd throw the idea out there!
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #10
hankaye

Timon, Howdy;

Like the ride! Including the mini training wheels .
Reckon you'd need one of those carriers like they use for the
mobility scooters, that way it would have a ramp and all to load
and unload it.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote