Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
dgworek

Bike Rack and Spare Tire mount for 2015 Hideout 28LHS

Looking for ideas about a bike rack for our trailer. We would love to bring all four bikes with us if possible but we are having a hard time finding one that will fit and not be too long? Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

We also need to mount our spare tire somewhere? Hubby is thinking somewhere up front but would love to find out if anyone has ideas.

Thanks
dgworek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgworek View Post
Looking for ideas about a bike rack for our trailer. We would love to bring all four bikes with us if possible but we are having a hard time finding one that will fit and not be too long? Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

We also need to mount our spare tire somewhere? Hubby is thinking somewhere up front but would love to find out if anyone has ideas.

Thanks
If you do a forum search and type in "Bike racks" you will find an abundance of information about this topic.
Briefly, DON'T get a bolt-on rack that is attached to the bumper by two U-bolts. It isn't safe!
DO get a receive hitch that is welded to the frame and get a good bike rack by Swagman , Thule or Yakima. This will cost you more but you won't have to worry about the welds on the bumper breaking, bumper twist or bikes falling off the back while travelling.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

What ever you do not use or think that cheap bumper will carry much. I put the trailer spare in the truck bed. I go on some bumpy roads to hunt and sooner or later it will bend the bumper or break off. Any welding guy could make a stronger better support and mounts to carry stuff safely back there.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:25 AM   #4
chartrand

X2 on not using the bumper unless you have welded additional support to it. I purchased a couple of those brackets that the front forks fit into. So I remove my front tire and my bikes ride in the camper on top of the dinette. I put the cushions on top of the bed and put the table down, and flip over the wood under the seats to reveal the fork mounts.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

I keep looking at the mounts that go over the propane tanks on the front. Not in this years budget (guess who bought a new to him boat), but they look like a decent idea.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote