Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
Javi

Another Black Tank Flush thread

I'm thinkin' that I'm gonna leave the plastic thingy out of the line and just use 2 90` Pex fittings to connect the lines..

Went to use it for the 4th time last week and you guessed it... it leaked.. no biggy 'cause I half expected it and was ready.

My choices seem to be...

buy a brass thingy to replace the plastic thingy for $58

or...

use an inline backflow preventer between the 2 Pex fittings $15,...

or...

just connect the lines with 90` Pex fittings $8 and use a hose bib vacuum break $6 on the inlet.

What y'all thinkin' ...
Old 05-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

What y'all thinkin' ...
Another option that you left out is to ignore the whole black tank flush system and just do whatever you did before it was "invented". I am betting that you managed quite well without it before so ........

I don't use it and the black tank is as clean as a black tank can be. Haven't stuck my head down there to take a peek but I'm just doin' what I always did before and haven't had any issues today or back when.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
justlkn

I took mine out over a year ago and it works like a champ. No more worries of a flooded basement. Mine also were stuffed inside the shower wall and right on top of the converter. Not a smart design. I used the brass hose bib vacuum break.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
jsmith948

We had removed our plastic breaker and the pex lines that went up into the vanity. Connected the line from the flusher directly to the hose fitting mounted on the convenience center wall. Worked great until we let the black tank get really full during an extended stay at our DS's house. The black water regurgitated from the hose fitting - there isn't a check valve like there is on the city water fitting. Nasty to clean up. Put the whole shebang back together. We will eventually replace the vacuum breaker with one made of brass.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
cospilot

can someone provide a little more detail about the things we are talking about. this seems like something i should look into because i don't think i want any black water messes to clean up and this thread sounds fairly important.
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
We had removed our plastic breaker and the pex lines that went up into the vanity. Connected the line from the flusher directly to the hose fitting mounted on the convenience center wall. Worked great until we let the black tank get really full during an extended stay at our DS's house. The black water regurgitated from the hose fitting - there isn't a check valve like there is on the city water fitting. Nasty to clean up. Put the whole shebang back together. We will eventually replace the vacuum breaker with one made of brass.
Taking them out of the vanity was probably where you went wrong... the line need to be at least 6" above the inlet..
Old 05-21-2015, 04:53 AM   #7
hankaye

Javi, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm thinkin' that I'm gonna leave the plastic thingy out of the line and just use 2 90` Pex fittings to connect the lines..

Went to use it for the 4th time last week and you guessed it... it leaked.. no biggy 'cause I half expected it and was ready.

My choices seem to be...

buy a brass thingy to replace the plastic thingy for $58

or...

use an inline backflow preventer between the 2 Pex fittings $15,...

or...

just connect the lines with 90` Pex fittings $8 and use a hose bib vacuum break $6 on the inlet.

What y'all thinkin' ...
I'm thinkin' door #3,
"just connect the lines with 9inner.0` Pex fittings $8 and use a hose bib vacuum break $6 on the inlet."
may be your winner, I used a Shark-bite 90 in mine to replace the plastic
POC. Might be a buck or 2 more than the Pex, but no swagging tool required. Mine hasn't dripped a drop in 3 years.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:03 AM   #8
jsmith948

[QUOTE=Javi;172336]Taking them out of the vanity was probably where you went wrong... the line need to be at least 6" above the inlet..[/QUOT

Exactly. I need to take the breaker out and just put the lines together in the vanity - I was trying to over think it

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Another option that you left out is to ignore the whole black tank flush system and just do whatever you did before it was "invented". I am betting that you managed quite well without it before so ........

I don't use it and the black tank is as clean as a black tank can be. Haven't stuck my head down there to take a peek but I'm just doin' what I always did before and haven't had any issues today or back when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Javi, Howdy;

I'm thinkin' door #3,
"just connect the lines with 9inner.0` Pex fittings $8 and use a hose bib vacuum break $6 on the inlet."
may be your winner, I used a Shark-bite 90 in mine to replace the plastic
POC. Might be a buck or 2 more than the Pex, but no swagging tool required. Mine hasn't dripped a drop in 3 years.

hankaye

Festus, I have always gotten along without having the built-in BT flush thingy by filling from the toilet or later with a homemade back flush thingy on the dump connection. But having one built in seemed to beckon me to use it and I did.. worked pretty darn good and was easier than either standing over the toilet or hooking up an extra gadget so here we are...

When I started using it I said to the DW, watch this.... it'll leak the first time out of the chute.. Okay it was the 4th time...

Hankaye... Probably gonna use Sharkbite but I may see if I can find a brass 1/2" NPT backflow fitting and cut it into the line while I'm there.. That might be the engineer side of my brain speaking..
Old 05-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
hankaye

Javi, Howdy;

No need to "Over engineer" it. I use a Brass 3/4" at the bib, works
fine and has lasted a long time so far... no drips, no errors, & no messes.
Keepin' it simple also makes it easier should a repair ever be necessary IMO.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote