Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
BuckeyePaddler

PDI/Walk Through ...

So, my Passport 2400BH is expected to be delivered to the dealership next week, and my sales guy stated that they'd need a few days to put it through their PDI. Since we'll be taking delivery of it within the next couple weeks, I decided to let him know today that I'd be using the PDI checklist found here ... http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf, and I simply wrote him an email stating as such, along with the link. The owner of the dealership replied about an hour later with the following ...

"I wanted to make you aware that the walk through that we do with all of our buyers of new RVs last from 30 to 45 minutes. We have spent approximately 2 to 3 hours preparing your unit for you before you arrive to make sure everything is the way it should be. You are welcome to do your check list when you arrive but you will need to do this outside as I cannot tie up a service bay and a man as you do your check list. The best thing would be that we will have the unit outside so you can go through your check list. When you are done we can work your unit back inside as soon as we have an empty bay available and then we can give you our 30 to 45 minute walk through. Thank you for understanding."

Whatcha all think? Should flags be going off to walk from this dealer, or does this sound reasonable? Thanks.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau
BuckeyePaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

4 hours is about standard for the dealer to do a PDI. The dealership I work at allocates 2.5 hrs for the walk through.

I'm not aware of any "rule" that dealers have to follow for time allotted to any given activity. Would I run? Not necessarily, but I would take him up on the offer to go through everything.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
BuckeyePaddler

I appreciate your response, chuckster. I guess my concern is not with the time, but with his statement, "You are welcome to do your check list when you arrive but you will need to do this outside as I cannot tie up a service bay and a man as you do your check list." I suppose it's feeling as if he's coming off a bit annoyed that I want to be thorough in the PDI, and he's apparently unwilling to have a "man" go through it with me in one of his service bays. Looking too much into his reply?
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Possibly a followup email stating something to the effect of:

" I am somewhat confused by your recent email. It appears that you are reluctant to provide me with the services to assure the new RV I am purchasing is in serviceable condition and free of defects. I am spending a considerable amount of money to purchase an RV. I selected your business to receive the profits of my purchase based on our discussions and the understanding that I would be receiving a quality product for the agreed purchase price. Based on your recent email, it appears that you are not living up to your end of our agreement. I want this sale to go smoothly for both of us. I expect to receive a quality RV that has been inspected by your technicians and by me and in return your company receives the profits of this sale. The only way I know that BOTH of us (your company and me) can be assured that the RV meets the expectations is for BOTH of us to have the opportunity to inspect it.

I've learned long ago that the key to a successful delivery is to be sure the customer is satisfied. I expect that the PDI include one of your technicians to accompany me to not only explain the workings of my new RV, but to help resolve any problems that may be identified. That way, both your company and I, the customer, are satisfied with the terms of our agreement and the delivery of the RV.

I urge you to reconsider your terms as outlined in your recent email. They are not the terms I understood nor agreed to when we negotiated the purchase.

Please respond within 24 hours with the time and place for the PDI and, if possible, with the name of the technician who will be accompanying me on my inspection.

Sincerely,"

You already know (and he should realize) that right now, the RV belongs to him. If he wants your money, then he needs to meet your expectations.

ADDED: Remember, at this point, unless you've already signed the loan paperwork and the final delivery documents, it's not too late to walk away.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
BuckeyePaddler

Wow!!! Thanks, John ... excellent advice/suggestion!!!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
GaryWT

I would not read too much in but respond that you want to be present when they do there 3 hours PDI so you can check certain things off and then finish up anything else before the 45 minute walk through. My dealer does all the PDI's outside.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
therink

My dealership alloted me as much time as I needed in their Bay. I made it clear I would not sign papers until Iwas satisfied. Believe me, they did not want to do this.
I did my PDI after they did theirs and I found about 12 items that needed to be repaired before I would sign the papers and they fixed all before I left with the rig. The worse item was a leaking vacuum breaker that sprayed water throughout the bathroom and basement storage when I tested the black tank flush. They claimed they already tested it.
I am convinced that they didn't test and look at everything, but they did put tire shine on the tires.
Stick to your guns. You a are in the drivers seat. Good luck.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Having the customer "tag along" during the PDI is not something any dealer that I know of does. I have had numerous customers show up during this process, and while it doesn't bother me in the least, I find it most often turns into "what does this do", "how do you..?" conversation. I kindly tell them that any and all questions will be addressed at the walk through.

We have a checklist that we use to document everything has been tested, approved and discrepancies either fixed or addressed for warranty submission . I have shown this checklist when asked, and even given a copy when requested.

As I stated earlier, my dealership allows 4 hours for a towable PDI, and if the unit is a 39' fiver with 3 or 4 slides, auto level, 4 holding tanks, two TV's two A/C's, fireplace.... it's a race to get it all done. I get 7.5 for a driveable, and if it's a 40' Class A with 4 TVs, slides, dishwasher, washer dryer.... you get the picture...

Anyway I digress, not a good day at work, but back to the OP's question.

I really like John's answer, but I think it should be clear that the walk through should be where the tech and customer check everything out. I demonstrate everything at the walk, not during a PDI.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Perhaps part of the confusion is due to what constitutes a "PDI" and what is a "walk through". Are they the same thing or are they different?

To me, a PDI is an inspection that is carried out by the dealership to ensure that everything "works". I assume that they test the appliances, the plumbing and electrical systems, the slides, etc., to make sure they are functioning properly before it is presented to the customer. This inspection would be done by one of the technicians and the customer would not be present.

The walk through would involve the customer and allow him/her to go through the unit, ask questions about anything and everything, ask and be shown how the various systems work and point out any deficiencies that are noticed and require replacement or repair.

If the PDI is done properly, there shouldn't be any major items that need attending to that are noticed in the walk through. The buyer might assume that the unit has been gone over thoroughly and everything works.

A 30-45 minutes walk through is just not enough time to allow the customer to check everything out. It might be enough time for a "seasoned, experienced" RVer who knows what questions to ask, what and where to look for things, etc., but what about the newbie or the inexperienced RVer?

If I'm about to spend $50k on an RV, then I want to be shown EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING in operation - not during the PDI but during the walk through. The PDI belongs to the dealer and to the technician. The walk through belongs to me and the tech who is there to answer my questions and show me what I want to be shown. This might take 45 minutes or it might take 90 minutes.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

It can take 4 hours, BTDT.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
BuckeyePaddler

This is my first RV, so it has to and will be thorough and detailed. I'll let you know how the president responds. Again, I really appreciate the responses, guys!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Festus2 and with Chuckster57. In my previous post, in the second paragraph I stated: "I expect that the PDI include..." That should probably be changed to something like: "I expect that my acceptance walkthrough include..." There is a difference in the PDI (dealer inspection) and the walkthrough (customer acceptance inspection/orientation) and we in this forum often intermingle the two terms. They are separate and distinct inspections, one performed to "make the trailer ready for the customer" and one to "show the customer his new trailer and explain how everything works".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote