Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
ocho

Septic smell

This is a new problem. Everytime i flush the lav, i get a blast of spetic smell coming thru the front bedroom ac. I've put deodorant pills in the tank. Ive dumped the tank. I make sure the lav seal resets Everytime. Ive no clue why this is all of a sudden happening, but its gotta stop. Is it perhaps vent related?
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's either "vent" related or "venture effect" related. When you use the toilet and have the rooftop vent open, the A/C will push air past that vent and can create a "negative pressure" that can pull air through the black tank and up the toilet when you flush. If you have the fan in the rooftop vent turned on, it even makes the issue worse. If the wind is blowing from behind the rooftop vent, it can create a "negative pressure" and draw in black tank air even if the A/C is turned off.

So, try turning the vent fan off (if it's on) and try closing the rooftop vent before flushing. That should solve your problem. If it doesn't, then try turning off the A/C before flushing. That will probably solve your problem.

You could possibly have a plugged black tank vent pipe, but that is very unlikely. Once you've identified which of the above actions "solves" the smell, then we can address how to fix it. But until you know why the odor is being drawn into the bedroom/bathroom, trying to fix it will be hit and miss at best.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
ocho

I appreciate the response, but that's not exactly the problem. When flushing the toilet, I get the septic smell from the AC within a few seconds. Its not coming up from the toilet. Its as if when the toilet is flushed and the air pushes up thru the vent it vent immediately to the AC then into the bedroom. Also, the AC in the bedroom is a stand alone AC and not tied into the central AC. It seems like its more of a wind issue. If the wind is blowing the right way it waifs right into the AC. Weird!!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless you have a "leak" (there isn't a fresh air intake) in the A/C roof portion, there shouldn't be any transfer of outside air into the conditioned air portion of the A/C unit. When you flush the toilet, the "black tank air" is pushed up the vent stack and out the vent, so if there's some "fresh air" being introduced into the rooftop portion of your A/C, it could pull that "stink" back into the A/C, but as I said, there shouldn't be any "fresh air exchange" occurring in the A/C unit.

You might want to check to be sure that the air box in your A/C that blows air over the coils is, in fact, sealed to any outside air leaks....

Otherwise, I'm not sure what it could be......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
ocho

I haven't thought about that in a while, but you're right. The AC is a closed, air circulating device. So an air leak could possibly introduce foul air into the system. I haven't been on the roof in a while and cant remember where the vent exits the roof.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

You should not have to go on the roof .... remove the inside trim on the A/C and check that all seams are taped with metal tape. I think you will find your problem there. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
ocho

Will do. Thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 04:22 AM   #8
dwyleecoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
You should not have to go on the roof .... remove the inside trim on the A/C and check that all seams are taped with metal tape. I think you will find your problem there. JM2˘, Hank
I agree, I had this problem on a camper a couple years ago. The AC is supposed to be completely sealed off from the "attic" space. Mine was completely open all the way around, resulting in very poor AC function, because it was drawing hot air all the time. You should be able to seal this up from inside. The second part of the problem is how the sewer smell gets into the attic. On mine, the sewer vent also had no type of seal between the pipe and attic. This pipe does have to float a little, but in my case there was so much airspace that my AC literally sucked in sewer smell all the time. I fixed this by removing the cap, and packing duct seal all around it, so it was still able to flex if needed. This probably did not have to be fixed after the AC problem was corrected, but I did it anyway.

Good luck, septic smells are the worst. I could tell you the problems I had with my house, but you would never believe it.
dwyleecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote