Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Some folks apparently believe that standing on the hood of a "tuff truck" beating on their hairy chest while boasting about how much above the speed limit they tow will increase their testosterone level. Those of us whose chest hair has started to gray realize just how lucky we were "when we did it back then".

Unfortunately, not all of us came through that "manly phase" intact. Some lost loved ones to the act, some were injured significantly by doing "stupid things" and some of us didn't make it and are no longer here. Back then, when those with gray hair took the risks, the highways were significantly less crowded and about the only people we put at risk were those in the vehicle. Nowdays, with the crowded highways, it's no longer "just us" that we put in peril.

Driving 80 MPH, even "just to pass a car" is illegal on almost every highway in North America and certainly towing a 16000 pound trailer behind an overloaded truck is taking the term "RISK" to an unacceptable level.

Every day the newspapers carry reports of accidents that could have been prevented. Whether it's a driver that runs into you or a driver that didn't get out of your way, either situation results in the same loss of property and/or loss of life. It's just not worth pushing the envelope that far. Even if you don't respect your own life, you have a moral duty not to injure others on the highway by being foolish. Yes, I do believe driving 80 MPH towing an 8 ton trailer is foolish. Or maybe it's just plain stupid ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #42
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Some folks apparently believe that standing on the hood of a "tuff truck" beating on their hairy chest while boasting about how much above the speed limit they tow will increase their testosterone level. Those of us whose chest hair has started to gray realize just how lucky we were "when we did it back then".

Unfortunately, not all of us came through that "manly phase" intact. Some lost loved ones to the act, some were injured significantly by doing "stupid things" and some of us didn't make it and are no longer here. Back then, when those with gray hair took the risks, the highways were significantly less crowded and about the only people we put at risk were those in the vehicle. Nowdays, with the crowded highways, it's no longer "just us" that we put in peril.

Driving 80 MPH, even "just to pass a car" is illegal on almost every highway in North America and certainly towing a 16000 pound trailer behind an overloaded truck is taking the term "RISK" to an unacceptable level.

Every day the newspapers carry reports of accidents that could have been prevented. Whether it's a driver that runs into you or a driver that didn't get out of your way, either situation results in the same loss of property and/or loss of life. It's just not worth pushing the envelope that far. Even if you don't respect your own life, you have a moral duty not to injure others on the highway by being foolish. Yes, I do believe driving 80 MPH towing an 8 ton trailer is foolish. Or maybe it's just plain stupid ???
Without trying to offend anyone in particular... A younger man is definately a more aggressive driver then a guy who's been around the block. They feel their reactions and skills are better. I did some pretty stupid stuff. Some of us were just lucky to be still be around today. I'm a truck driver. I drive 100k miles a year and have pulled loads up to 100,000 lbs. I've seen a lot. A young guy just doesn't know what he doesn't know. I won't preach too much cuz you just gotta learn by yourself for it to sink in. Having run the same routes hundreds of times I can prove to you driving 5-10 mph faster doesn't save you enough time to worry about it. Don't worry about the math cuz it doesn't work in real life conditions. You'll get there when you get there. You'd be lucky to save an hour on an all day drive, 15 minutes on a shorter drive. More time is wasted on stops then by lower speeds. But your odds for a successful trip will decrease with higher speed and will also decrease the more you push your equipment. You might get away with it a hundred times, might get away with it every time, but the odds are still lower. Risk vs. reward. I don't drive slow, I stay at the speed limit or just above, barely. I never pull a camper over 70mph. A trailer tire failure isn't a pleasant experience at any speed. But people are gonna do what their gonna do. I think the OP's setup can be done, just with lower odds then a big dually. And the driver needs to respect the situation for what it is. People are funny when they drive. It turns into an all out competition. Their whole personality changes. I've learned to just let it go and enjoy the drive. Everyone says they like to drive so then why are they in such a hurry to get it over with?

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 01-03-2015, 03:35 AM   #43
tnraptor

Let me repeat 65-70 is average speed on interstate with occasional 75-80 passing or in fast traffic. There was no difference between 65-80 is what I was meaning. Anyways I feel comfortable at 65-70 will I get a dually next time I trade probably. Am I gonna spend 20k just for a dually before I'm ready to trade no. Wished I'd just kept it to myself and never mentioned it.

2012 f250 4x4 four door lariat.
06 raptor 3712 toyhauler
kansas bow hunter.
pickwick lake is home though.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #44
ncbound123

Maybe we can finish beating this dead horse. Some of us have larger trailers than others, some of us have 3/4 ton trucks. In a "perfect" world we would all have a dedicated tow vehicle. If that was the case we would all have a dedicated 1 ton or better with all the bells and whistles that make towing so much more comfortable for everyone. However this is not a perfect world and a lot of us tow with the best equipment we have and we all want to do it in a safe manor. I truly do not believe that anyone here would try to be unsafe in any way. That being said I personally tow a heavy 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton and when time, money and circumstances permit we will upgrade to a dedicated tow vehicle. For now our truck serves multipurpose items for our family. When we are out camping and traveling with our setup I keep within my comfort zone, obey the speed limits, (slower than the speed limit for the most part), keep safe stopping distances and always remind myself that getting in a hurry and trying to push the limits of our setup is not in anyone's best interest. Keep it safe, keep it under control and above all else enjoy the time you get to spend with family and friends.
The finer things in life.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #45
chuckster57
Site Team

It is time I believe to let this thread go. I hope it has at least served to enlighten our members to the care, concern and respect we should all have to each other on and off the highway. This thread is now closed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread