Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Txoutback

Wingard Carryout MP1

I see a few ppl are using the MP1 and are pleased with it and most reviews on other sites are mostly positive. Has anyone had a negetive experience with this dish? I'm on Dish Network and I am aware I can only receive one signal at a time, either 119 or 110. Is there a dish that can receive both without paying too much more?
I'm squeezing the trigger on a dish next week and wanted some first hand feedback/advice beforehand.

Thanks
Dave

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Jim W

Dave,
My only advice is to buy the tripod for the MP1 at the same time. I spent a year fighting the inconvenience of trying to level the unit and get it above the tree line. The tripod helps in leveling and getting the MP1 dish above the tree line. You need to have a clear sight line to the Satellite in order to receive the signal. I also purchased a dish 300 box for $150 to leave in the camper. The extra box cost is only $6.00 a month over the normal cost for home subscription.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Txoutback

Thanks Jim, good advice. I was not going to buy the tripod and keep it on the ground to lessen wind issues but I wasn't thinking of the added advantage of clearing the trees. Is the 25' cable enough or have you ever been in the situation where more cable was needed?

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Jim W

Dave,
Yes, in most cases it is. If you read the directions you need to use the same type of cable that is supplied with the Satellite (I believe this is an RB59). If you need to extend the dish antenna further. I do use a short pieces of regular cable, 2 ft long so I can install a signal meter in between the dish antenna and the receiver box. This is to fine the satellite first, then it is removed.
On the MP1 Satellite case there is a port to add water for balance weight. This is to stabilize the unit when there is windy conditions. I used sand instead and placed a small piece of plastic over the opening then screwed the cap back on. I do not have to worry about freezing temperatures with sand.
Jim W.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Txoutback

Thanks
I did a fitcheck with my receiver last night and it looks like I have a place for everything. I'll pick up the MP-1 on the way home today.
I won't make the extra cable a priority but will keep a look out for about 50' of RG6. RG11 will work as well but is thicker & heavier. RG59 is not recommended for sat to receiver connection but is used from receiver to TV (less shielding and more signal loss).

Post Script: I am new to this forum and am finding it as a wealth of information. Thanks Again
Dave

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
mhs4771

Just a work of caution, make sure you have it chained and locked to something that won't move. A friend in our Good Sam Group lost his recently, developed feet and walked away during the night.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Txoutback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Just a work of caution, make sure you have it chained and locked to something that won't move. A friend in our Good Sam Group lost his recently, developed feet and walked away during the night.
At a Good Sam Camp? Imagine that. Any suggestions on how to safeguard this thing?

It took a little head scratching to reconfigure the receiver and figuring out how this compass attached to the MP1 is supposed to work for me but got it done and wired with sat. My first time to look under the satellite tv hood so to speak so it was a learning experience for me. The compass is a little strange in the fact that it rotates with the dish, changing north reference as you move it but I think I figured out how to work with it.

Thanks for all of the input.

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
Jim W

Dave,
Do yourself a favor and buy a good compass. I did that helps a lot, I removed the compass from the MP1 and it is the electrical box.
Buy two matching lock sets and either chain or a steel cable. I have made several cables locks for our bikes when we travel. Buy bulk cable and some cable clamps with thimbles. I use three clamps per side with the wire rope wrapped around the thimble. You can make anywhere from 6' to 20' long cables. You then can run the cable through the handle and opening of the tripod, locking them together then lock the other end around the camper or a tree if you want.
Jim W.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

JimW; If the sand you used is NOT dried out before you put it into the unit it WILL freeze.

Cables an chains an padlocks ...OH MY!!! They only keep honest folk from doing something stupid. If someone really wants the dish they'll get it. Sad but true...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Txoutback

Thats a good tip making my own cables. I'll have to look into that. Thanx
Is dish theft a common occurance? I really didn't think of it

As far as the compass. At the house the sat is 217 degrees so what I did was found it and fine tuned on it. Then I turned the compass to where the south pointer was on 217. When at the CG the az may be at 220 so I will put that pointer on 214 to account for the 3 degree offset from 217 and I should then be pointing 220 degrees. Am I seeing this right?
Maybe I was doing it wrong yesterday but I was rotating the dish, adjusting the compass back to north to see where I was, roatate the dish again, adjust the compass, etc, etc until I found 217 and bam, there it was. I stumbled through the whole effort so I'm sure there is a better way
We are both VERY excited to have satillite in the RV. Too Cool...

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

JimW; If the sand you used is NOT dried out before you put it into the unit it WILL freeze.

Cables an chains an padlocks ...OH MY!!! They only keep honest folk from doing something stupid. If someone really wants the dish they'll get it. Sad but true...

hankaye
Hank,
It was very very dry. I opened one of my sand weight tubes in the summer time and filled the MP1 with it. I have switched to concert blocks for the truck for winter use now. The bed has 400 lbs in it for the winter months.

The cables and locks will not keep away anyone who want to steal something but it does make the insurance company happy. I have never had a insurance issue after filling a thief report and it stated that the lock was cut.
Jim W.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
Freebirdusa

A few Bear traps around the dish works too lol

2012 Keystone Sprinter 266 RBS

2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty 6-7 Diesel
Freebirdusa is offline   Reply With Quote