Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Challenged

What should I protect?

I am new to RV'ing. I notice my RV park has a entrance security guard at night. What kind of things should I look out for? Are fellow Rv'ers ever a threat? I have a 5yr old son.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenged View Post
I am new to RV'ing. I notice my RV park has a entrance security guard at night. What kind of things should I look out for? Are fellow Rv'ers ever a threat? I have a 5yr old son.
???? have never had a problem with other RVers or theft. Obviously some locations are better than others, but I've never really stayed anywhere that I didn't feel comfortable. If a park isn't too far away, I try to do a drive through with the car before committing. If that isn't an option, I research and read reviews. I've actually paid cancellation fees before and sent down the road to another park. Rule of thumb, don't leave anything out/unlocked that you aren't willing to lose. Again, I have never had anything disappear, but the things that I leave unlocked I wouldn't lose any sleep over if they did walk away....wouldn't be happy, but wouldn't lose sleep. BTW, I also try to stay off of the beaten path. The quick parks next to the highway where people stop in for a few hours while traveling....IMO they're nothing more than a fancy wayside (and not that fancy).

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenged View Post
From a previous post, I see that you are a "full timer mostly in one place" and I assume that you checked out the RV park that you are now in before taking up residence there. As mentioned previously, a slow drive through a CG often gives you a good opportunity to get a "feel" for the park - how well it is maintained, the staff, security, etc.

Having a security person on duty at night is a step in the right direction and should make you feel more secure. Having said that, as a new camper in this park and one who is likely to stay there for awhile, I'd be vigilant about your surroundings and your fellow neighbours until you get a sense of how safe it is to stay there.

Almost all RVers are friendly, courteous and helpful. There are, of course, exceptions who are no different than the exceptions who live in stick houses. One concern would be those who are prone to using foul language, are loud and have happy hours that start early and end late. Another would be those who have dogs and let them loose because "they won't hurt anybody" or they bark, and bark and bark.

If you do run into a problem, I'd make it known to the park manager or supervisor and let him deal with it. If he or she is doing their job, then the matter will be looked into and dealt with properly. Avoid getting into confrontations with neighbours or anyone else in the park -- it's not your problem to solve but it needs to be addressed by the proper authorities.

If there is anyone in the park that you don't feel comfortable about or want your son to stay away from --- I'd consider moving. You can't be looking over your shoulder all the time or worrying about his safety around other campers. You can't protect him from everything and everybody --- just do the very best you can do ensure that he too has nothing to worry about and feels safe himself.

On another note...if someone wants something you have they will find a way to take it. Again, make it as difficult as you can so that it doesn't go walking. The security guard will make it more difficult for the night-time thieves to take stuff but if it's something you really value, don't leave it lying around loose or make it "inviting".
Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
kellydog98

Most park offices are closed at night. It has always been the norm that if I arrive late, I sould find an empty space and settle up in the A.M. Perhaps this park is actually closed at night, or the security guard performs double duty. As security and check in. It might be easier to ask your office about the why. Good Luck.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote