Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
wowchad

Newbie Question, Rules For Passengers Riding In The Back TT

I have heard in the past that you can have passengers riding in TT while going down the road as long as you have communication between the TV (vehicle) and the trailer.
Now with most states having seatbelt laws I'm wondering if that is true anymore, or if it was ever true.
I'm new to TT, coming from a pop-up where this wasn't possible. Kids (& DW) are very excited about this as a possibility for trip from WI to FL next month.
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
RichR

I can't imagine that it is allowed anymore.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I would guess that each state probably has its own rules about passengers riding in a travel trailer or 5th wheel.

If it were me, I would not let my children-regardless of their ages - ride in a towed vehicle under any circumstances. Allowing them to do so is, IMO, negligent. While it may be legal in some areas, I cannot understand why a parent would even consider doing such a thing. Why would a parent put their kids into a situation where they could get seriously hurt or killed? You have no way of knowing what is going on back there, whether they are using seatbelts - which are not even provided - despite any two-way radio communication you may or may not have.

If you were to be involved in an accident, they would have very little, if any protection.
I am not going to list all of the reasons why kids or anyone should not ride in the back. You can figure that out for yourself. It may be legal but it isn't right.

Your children may think that it is a great idea and would be a lot of "fun" but need to be told "No, this isn't going to happen. You'll be riding up front with mommy and daddy the whole trip."
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
st_pinetree

In Montana, it's still legal in a fifth wheel or pickup camper. But, I would ask this. Have you ever seen an RV in an accident? Might as well let your kid ride on the hood of the TV, at least then they may be thrown clear. RV's aren't built that well and basically vaporize in a crash.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
wowchad

Of course the kids think it's a great idea!
I'm on the fence or wouldn't have asked, but also the Mrs wanted to know if she could sleep back there while trading shifts driving. I've heard it'd be much safer in a 5th...my thoughts are either way if you crash it's not going to be pretty no matter where you're sitting / riding. It's always a constant battle trying to make 4 -6 tired kids wear seat belts when they're sleeping so what they do is sneak a very loose belt so they can lay down which probably isn't going to help much in a major crash either.
Hey we all take a risk every time we get behind the wheel, right?!?
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
Old 03-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a few states that still allow passengers in trailers. Some restrict it to fifth wheels, some won't even allow passengers in a cab-over pickup camper. Check the laws of every state along your route...

That said, it is not safe to ride in a travel trailer (my strong opinion). First of all, the rear of the trailer sways more than the front and anyone trying to move around back there is very likely to be thrown off balance and be injured. In the event of a trailer separation, even if the trailer remains attached to the tow vehicle by the safety chains, there will be one significant "Disney World ride" for anyone unfortunate enough to be in the trailer; and, if the trailer did happen to separate from the tow vehicle and the chains didn't hold it, there's a very good chance that it will roll before it stops. Being thrown around inside a "box" barreling down the road at 60MPH is not something I'd want my family to experience..... It's best that they were strapped into a seat belt in the tow vehicle, even if you have to listen to, "Are we there yet" for the whole trip.... Protect your loved ones, keep them safe inside the vehicle with you at the wheel.

Here is a link to state trailer towing laws. There is no guarantee that it is up to date so if you're serious about this (and I hope you've already decided against it) then contact each state to verify the information.....
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

Just one parting thought: With all the "tire problems" that have been documented about blowouts and tire destruction, would it be "wise" to put your family inside a trailer on "maypops" or "Chinese bombs" ????

I see you just added a comment regarding "at risk even in a tow vehicle"..... My response to that would be that in your 2012 F250, you have seat belts, conformable crush zones and air bags both side and front to protect the passenger compartment in the event of an accident. All of those are woefully missing in any travel trailer or fifth wheel. It just isn't safe. I'd say, if an adult wants to take the calculated risk, that's their own "chance at death" but to put a child in that position is at best, parental abuse/negligence. I'd say "absolutely not" for the children and have to ask "what kind of example are you setting" if you or your DW lead by that example ???? Some things just aren't safe at any speed......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
ROLIN JOSEPH

Definitely a big "no way" in my opinion. No matter what the laws are, there is no way I would allow anybody or pets to be in there while in motion.
On the brighter side, watch this movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047191/ and see what goes on inside while you drive.
Life is too precious.

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowchad View Post
Of course the kids think it's a great idea!
I'm on the fence or wouldn't have asked, but also the Mrs wanted to know if she could sleep back there while trading shifts driving. I've heard it'd be much safer in a 5th...my thoughts are either way if you crash it's not going to be pretty no matter where you're sitting / riding. It's always a constant battle trying to make 4 -6 tired kids wear seat belts when they're sleeping so what they do is sneak a very loose belt so they can lay down which probably isn't going to help much in a major crash either.
Hey we all take a risk every time we get behind the wheel, right?!?
wowchad -
I'd be interested in reading any article that makes reference to or shows that passengers would be safer in a 5th wheel than in a TT if involved in a crash. Not sure where you heard this from but if you have a reliable source, I would like to be able to verify that what you heard is, in fact, true.

Yes, keeping children restrained in seatbelts while riding in a TV can be "stressful" and takes both patience and effort. I can imagine how much easier it would be to give in and let them "loose". I can also imagine how mom and dad would feel if their "loose" child was propelled through the windshield as a result of a collision.

Yes, we take risks while driving but let's do everything we can to reduce them and if, by chance, we do get into an accident, hope that the airbags and seatbelts give us a better chance of reducing injury.

I also note that your photo shows you and your family in a boat out on the water. To protect your loved ones and yourself, I assume that you insist that they wear life jackets - all the time while in the boat. Uncomfortable? Maybe. Too hot while wearing them? Maybe. Is it a "constant battle" for you to insist that they wear a lifejacket? Maybe, but I'm sure that you do.

You take steps to minimize the risk to your family while out on the water. Why not do the same thing when out on the road? Keep them in seatbelts and up front with you and mom.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
wowchad

All great points, thank you for all your input!
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
Old 03-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
denverpilot

I wouldn't even put my dog in the trailer on the road. And I like my dog.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
CWtheMan

Here is another reference with riding in the trailer restrictions.

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
cwray

Riding in TT

I recommend that if this what you are thinking trade the TT in for a motor home.
More room, everyone is in sight and can be heard. Still no walking around while moving.

Charles
cwray is offline   Reply With Quote