Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Koz22

2012 Tundra - What size TT can I pull?

Hello all,

I own a 2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4. I am in the market for a TT but I am unsure of what size my truck will handle. I've read the sites that talk about determining GVWR, GCWR, and GAWR but I am unsure how that translates into what size TT I should be looking at. I have my eye on a 2009 Cougar 300 SRX but what I'm looking for here is a max dry weight, gross weight and tongue weight my truck can handle so I can know which TTs to look at and which ones are unrealistic. I will have a WDH when I purchase. My truck has the 5.7 L engine and I have a tow package installed (no electronic brake system yet, but I will have one installed when I purchase).

I appreciate anyone's advice, but Tundra owners, if you could share your stories I would really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Koz
Koz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
canadianboy

you would have to look at what the trailer weighs unloaded, and loaded... I am not expert since new to this to, but bought a trailer last year.. and my Tundra has had no problems pulling through the mountains. I have to go through the scales this spring to get all my weights right. But you have to make sure you dont go over tongue rate, My trailer is 35ft long from hitch to back of bumper. Its empty weight is around 6300lbs.
canadianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

While the tongue weight is important, it is the truck's payload/capacity that is crucial. The empty or dry weight of the TT is often more than what the sticker indicates and; in the final analysis, isn't all that critical.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
frano

I'm towing a 32 ft Vantage (35'10" from tongue to bumper) with a dry weight of 6800 pounds and 1015# tongue weight. My 2012 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7 with tow package pulls this camper easily. I have a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch and a brake controller. I can get 13 MPG on secondary 55 mph roads, but MPG drops to 10-11 at 65 MPH. Over 65 MPH, mileage drops to the 9-10 range. I try to tow around 62-65 MPH. BTW, I live in hilly New England and the Tundra does fine.
frano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Bob Landry

I had a 2011 Tundra 5.7L with all the goodies. I pulled an Outback 277RL, guesstimate weight around 8000 lbs. The truck was rated to pull 10K, but I would not have been a comfortable pulling much more than that. I've heard a rule of thumb of 80% of gross trailer weight, but that's Internet chatter and I have seen nothing to back that theory up. I personally think that giving yourself a little wiggle room is the prudent thing to do. Keep in mind that stopping is as important as towing. Payload is also an issue which is why I traded for a F250. The other thing that I'm really trying to understand is why a manufacturer would build a truck with the towing capabilities of the Tundra and then put a 26 gallon gas tank on it. Go figure. All of that said, with just me and DW in the truck and everything loaded in the trailer, we were OK and I never felt unsafe, I'm just happier with a 3/4 ton truck.. YMMV.

I did install a transfer flow gas tank that increased fuel capacity to 47 gallons, but if you are considering that, figure in the weight of passengers, cargo in the truck, and the weight of the additional fuel, because with a full tank it really eats into the payload allowance. It's an additional 130 lbs of weight plus the difference between a steel tank and the stock plastic gas tank. Again, I'm happier with the F250 and not having to worry about that.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

We have a 2012 Tundra with the smaller 4.6ci engine and full towing package. We pull a Bullet 248RKS all over Texas. The dry weight of the TT is 4785 and the hitch weight is 545. Tows easily with our WD hitch-no problems at all. I get about 9-11 at 70mph and a couple mpg more at slower average speeds. I usually try to maintain about 65mph if I can, but sometimes the folks behind me get a bit impatient. We're real happy with our set-up. Good luck with yours.
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Koz22

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. You have really given me some things to consider.
Koz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
BigRed2013

I am pulling a 2014 Cougar 32RESWE, 35' from tongue to bumper. Dry weight is scaled at 7460Lbs and tongue scaled (loaded with all cargo) at 850Lbs. My wife won't dry camp so we've never filled the FW tank but we regularly have black and gray tanks full as we keep it at my in-laws and use it when there to visit.

I drive a 2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab and use WDH w/Friction Sway Control, truck handles great, sits level with the trailer and has plenty of power over the passes we have traveled so far. Just took a trip down the Oregon Coast with a couple of challenging climbs and it performed great. I haven't had a white knuckle experience yet and quite honestly I thought I might have one with my Tundra.

I bought the trailer knowing that if my Tundra didn't perform well that I would have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton PU.

Good luck on your search!
BigRed2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
spappy

I normally stay away from the tow discussions, because it's right up there with politics and religion, but I have a 2012 double cab with tow package, equalizer hitch, and rear air bags. My Springdale is roughly 34' tip to tip. I love the way the Tundra handles the load. I've pulled it for a day on interstate and thru the Ozarks and never ever felt like I was overloading it. My only complaint would be gas mileage, but that is to be expected. I typically put the window downs and turn off the AC. I put the trip computer on instant gas mileage and try to keep to a reasonable number. All in all the Tundra is a hoss and I really like it. YMMV.
Spap
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
chris199

Had a 2011 4.6 and 2012 5.3L model Tundra. Towed a 19' Passport with the former and a 32' Cougar with the latter. On dry/level road, both towed fine. At times the truck would "run"/slide it seemed while driving. On bounces, I never felt like I had good control.

Most importantly: Was at payload limit with just my trailer tongue wgt, wife, 2 bikes, and minimal stuff in back seat. My hitch weight is approx 200 lb more than that in Keystone brochure......940 actual vs 755 brochure I believe.

IMHO, it is virtually impossible to tow the max trailer weight of the Tundra with a Tundra. You can never get there if the tongue weight is anywhere near "normal". Payload will be exceeded well before reaching the max towing capacity. A safety issue in my mind...even though the engine certainly had the power to pull it, payload is most certainly the limitation. IMHO....

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow weights, travel trailer, tundra