Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Cape Horn Mike

Another Question on Bike Racks

We have two mountain bikes we would like to carry along with us camping. Because of the TV bed size I don't think a pinbox rack will work. I prefer not to carry the bikes on a front TV rack because it blocks the headlights. That leaves the rear of our Mountaineer 295 RKD. I don't like the idea of a ladder rack as I believe two bikes would put too high a strain on the ladder. Reading the FAQ on the Keystone webpage states they "do not recommend bike racks on the bumper or frame". I agree a bumper bike mount can put too much strain on the weld points of a bumper but it seems to me a 2" receiver hitch mounted to the frame (bolted or welded) would be strong and not cause a structrual problem. I just wanted to know if anyone else with this type of unit has mounted a hitch on their 5th wheel and how it worked for them. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
Cape Horn Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Umpie007

I bolted a 2" receiver to my bumper and I put 2 mountain bikes and my kids 2 freestyle bikes on it and haven't had any problems. Been doing it for 5 years now. I periodically check around the welds for any cracks and the bumper for any bending and no changes yet.

2006 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, PPE Power Programmer, Pyrometer and Boost Guages, Custom Exhaust with LB7 Downpipe, EGR Block, PCV Reroute, Transgo-Jr Allison Transmission Kit, Cold Air Mod to Factory Air Box, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Prodigy Brake Controller, B&W Turnover Ball with B&W Companion Hitch
Umpie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Bike rack

No problems with a 2" receiver on either my previous TT or the new 5er. Haul 2 full size mountain bikes and one youth size. (Also added 2 Harleys and a golf cart; OK only kidding)....

I use ratchet type straps to minimize movement where possible. On I 75, movement restriction is flat impossible.....

No issues for us.....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

We had a 2" receiver hitch welded to the frame of our previous 5th wheel and it worked well - in conjunction with a bike rack - when we wanted to take our bikes along. No worries about any additional stress on the bumper. I wouldn't recommend adding any additional weight on these bumpers!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Cape Horn Mike

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I going with Festus and have a hitch welded on to the frame. Sounds like the strongest and safest solution. Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Cape Horn Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
campingfisherman

Has anyone put a bike rack on the bumper of a 303TG? And would 4 bikes be too many on the bumper?
campingfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Seann
Permanent User Ban

As long as it is NOT a factory installed hitch. Mine came off on the interstate .. when I saw the poor quality of the welds from the factory I was surprised it had stayed on as long as it had.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Mrmule79

I'll say it again DO NOT .. put anything on the rear bumper of a Keystone camper. If they didn't put it there they are not covering damage...

I had the 2" receiver bolted to the bumper with two bikes and the bumper broke. The handlebars punched holes in the campers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_2101.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	274  
Mrmule79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #9
campingfisherman

Thanks for the info ,
campingfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone Warranty states any towing will void the warranty. I think that means ANY tow bar that is welded or bolted to the frame. How do you prove it was for a bike rack, not a boat trailer???? I'd be wary of welding on a Keystone frame. Curt Hitch company has two RV hitches designed to bolt on the rear of a RV frame. One is for frame rails up to 41" wide and the other is for rails up to 72". You might want to check the Curt website. The pricing seems to be in line with the weld on hitches I've seen and there's no added cost to weld it on, it bolts on in about an hour.

No, I haven't bolted one on my fiver yet, I'm waiting for the factory warranty to expire first, I just don't want to get into the hassle of trying to revalidate a voided Keystone warranty. <sigh>
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
Johnnyfry

Bike rack

I have a Swagman 2 bike rack which fits a 2 inch hitch receiver. It came with a bolt on receiver for the square bumper of my 318SAB. The sticker on the bumper cautions that it has a maximum of 200 lb load limit when extended. That said, I do not extend the bumper shelf or put on any additional load except the factory mounted spare tire which, I assume, is already accounted for in the limit.

Even 4 bikes would be under the 200 lb limit and since the bumper is not pulled out there would be no leverage to overstress the bumper.

The downside it that you will have to insure that you do not block viability of the license tag or the taillight. (I had to move my taillight up to allow viability)
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote