Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
RVEagle

Bunk Bed over Jack-knife Sofa Question

The bunk room on our 2020 Cougar 34TSB has a bunk bed that folds up out of the way when you want to use the Jack Knife sofa under it. It is held up in place by a pneumatic strut. When down it is supported by a rail at each end. I suspect there are a lot of bunk rooms with this type of configuration. My question: Do you travel with the bunk bed up, or down? Thanks!
RVEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
wobly

Our 29BHS has a folding bunk on the bottom, but it has a slide lock that holds it in place when it's up. We have no problem with it being up when we drive.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Bunk Bed over Jack-knife Sofa Question

Most have a sticker that says the bunk should be locked in the UP position. I suspect it’s to stop it from bouncing on the rails.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:45 AM   #4
RVEagle

No lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Most have a sticker that says the bunk should be locked in the UP position. I suspect it’s to stop it from bouncing on the rails.
Ours doesn't have a lock in the up, or down, position.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:05 AM   #5
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVEagle View Post
The bunk room on our 2020 Cougar 34TSB has a bunk bed that folds up out of the way when you want to use the Jack Knife sofa under it. It is held up in place by a pneumatic strut. When down it is supported by a rail at each end. I suspect there are a lot of bunk rooms with this type of configuration. My question: Do you travel with the bunk bed up, or down? Thanks!
Are 2014 cougar has two like gate latches that hold it up when not needed that you slide in to a hole in the wall. When we purchased it they told us during the PDI that you should not travel with it locked up because the thin walls would not take the abuse of bouncing down the road. Maybe the pneumatic cylinders are mounted better but I would think riding on the rails would be more secure. But I am by no means a expert. I just got in the the rv life about a year ago.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #6
jhplak325

I have a 2019 34TSB and travel with that bunk in the down position, but have only pulled the camper from the dealership to home and to 1 campground and back last fall since we picked it up in September last year. Next trip out is in 2 weeks if the campground doesn’t close.

Just like yours, no sticker and that bunk has the shocks also.
jhplak325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

When in doubt,

Page 44 in the Keystone Owners Manual has this caution:

Each vehicle with elevated beds has a warning label listing the maximum load capacity. Failure to comply with the load capacity could cause bed failure which may result in injury. Bed(s) must be stowed in the up position during travel. Elevated beds may present a fall hazard which may result in injury. Please follow the guidelines below regarding elevated beds and the use of bed rails.

There is a "full page of information" about electric, standard, folding elevated beds and loft beds in the manual.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
RVEagle

JRTJH - on page 44 of my manual they talk about thermostats, stoves and range hoods, etc. The beds are on page 49. The key word for me in the caution is 'stowed'. I generally don't consider a bed leaning against the wall as 'stowed'. As others have pointed out they have locks to keep it up - we don't have locks. So, does a pneumatic strut, used to make lifting the bed easier make it 'stowed'? Or, am I supposed to add a lock? I am thinking of adding a handle to make it easier to pull down when I want to use it.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

In your case I would probably leave it down. My original post was directed to those with bunks that have the travel locks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
JRTJH - on page 44 of my manual they talk about thermostats, stoves and range hoods, etc. The beds are on page 49. The key word for me in the caution is 'stowed'. I generally don't consider a bed leaning against the wall as 'stowed'. As others have pointed out they have locks to keep it up - we don't have locks. So, does a pneumatic strut, used to make lifting the bed easier make it 'stowed'? Or, am I supposed to add a lock? I am thinking of adding a handle to make it easier to pull down when I want to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
In your case I would probably leave it down. My original post was directed to those with bunks that have the travel locks.
I can't address the disparity in page numbers. Owner's Manuals change from time to time. The important fact is that the caution is in both manuals....

If your bunk has no "means to lock it in the UP position" I'd consider it as "intended to be down". Like Chuck suggested, the Owner's manual specifically addresses bunks with travel locks....

Have you considered using the "customer support email system" on the Keystone website and asking Keystone "which way do you recommend for towing on my "bunk without travel locks?" With the "pandemic in full swing" few of us are going to be towing anywhere for a while, so there's time to "ask the experts at Keystone".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
RVEagle

JRTJH - I've tried using the Keystone website, I haven't found a 'customer support email system' yet. I left a message on their "Contact Us" page about my leaking front window/endcap, but was hampered by the 200 character restriction. Another constraint was the message "On March 23rd, the Governor of Indiana ordered all non-essential businesses to close for a minimum of two weeks to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus We are currently scheduled to resume normal business operations on Wednesday, April 8. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes and look forward to supporting you fully when we return." I thought asking others how they traveled with their bunk was a good way to learn from those with similar situations.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
JRTJH - I've tried using the Keystone website, I haven't found a 'customer support email system' yet. I left a message on their "Contact Us" page about my leaking front window/endcap, but was hampered by the 200 character restriction. Another constraint was the message "On March 23rd, the Governor of Indiana ordered all non-essential businesses to close for a minimum of two weeks to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus We are currently scheduled to resume normal business operations on Wednesday, April 8. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes and look forward to supporting you fully when we return." I thought asking others how they traveled with their bunk was a good way to learn from those with similar situations.
Seems like Keystone, like Ford and GM are closed during this pandemic. Most (probably you as well as us) are limited to not traveling with the trailer during this time... So, maybe, on April 8, IF (don't count on it) Keystone will be "fully up and operational" and able to answer your questions.... Till then, are you towing ??? If so, are you planning any "significant change from previous towing" ???

Possibly someone will answer that has contacted Keystone and asked the question and received a "official response"... I wouldn't bet on it, but possibly....

Till then, you've got some "food for thought" based on pages 44 and 49, depending on the edition of your Owner's Manual and some suggestions from people who maintain these things on a daily basis.

Do what you think is "best for your situation" until Keystone can provide the "professional and well thought out advice" that you're seeking....

Good Luck if you do decide to "risk towing against most state restrictions" during the next few weeks....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
bed