Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
shaner

Swapping my couch for theater seating

I just bought a Passport 2920BH. It has a fairly uncomfortable love seat in it. I'd like to pull it out and install theater seating instead. Is that possible? Is it an easy DIY job? If so, where are some good places to look for new RV furniture?
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

While we wait for others possibly directly involved with exchanging their furnature. There have been recent posts on this same subject so I would suggest you do a search on say furniture.. the search function is our tool to look through "tons" of information provided by members in previous posts.
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
canesfan

From reading several posts on the subject, yes it is doable, and most people don't seem to want to buy "RV" furniture again to replace the RV furniture they just removed. It's usually overpriced and uncomfortable. They just buy normal furniture that fits. The biggest thing is getting it through the door.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Get something that breaks down into pieces, i.e. the base separates from the back. This would make it easier to get in the door. And be sure to measure twice. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Frank G

If it is going in or near a slide make sure it fits front to back. Most residential furniture is deeper than the stuff designed for the RV industry. The after market LCI Thomas Payne line is quite comfortable and PRICY. It maintains the same dimensions as the original LCI furniture found in most Keystone products.
Keystone also mounts a roller on the front frame of furniture used on the narrow (depth) slides.

A lot of considerations when replacing furniture.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

Last September long weekend I was camping a bit north of my home. Less than an hour away. Went to visit the town nearby and ended up at the Brick. Found a loveseat/dual recliner for $500. put it in the back of the truck and went back to the campsite. Probably a 1/2 hour or so to get the old one out and the new one in. I had already measured so I knew it would fit with the backs off. Took the old one to the dump and was done in no time.

Really simple to do. I lost spare sleeping spot but damn the couch I took out was uncomfortable. Fell asleep on the recliners later that day.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
MtnPa&Ma

We were considering doing the opposite: going from theater seating (Thomas Payne) to a 'longer' sofa. Since ours is modular - Thomas Payne Marquee Collection, we were able to remove the center console with 2 cup holders and ordered a 22" center piece, which matches exactly, even including the heat, massage & recliner. This gives us a residential-long sofa without giving up recliners, cup holders, etc. and keeping our table & chairs (also in slide area).
It is pricey - $600+/-. These pieces are very easy to install and/or change: two hooks that click in place and the screws that others have mentioned. The quality is good/not as nice as you would find for your home and it is true the screws into the floor, are quite lacking. We are full-timing and have had this unit for nearly two years and this collection has stood up well, to every day use.
MtnPa&Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Refinerytrash310

I replaced the old furniture in my last 5th wheel from a pull out couch & 2 swivel recliners to the Thomas Payne tri-fold love seat and 2 theater seat recliners w/ cup holders in the middle. the biggest think i read from google searches is to make sure the width & length will fit where you are going to put them. this is especially important on the recliners (more importantly on slides if thats where their going). most "house" recliners recline far back & the mechanism is different. the Thomas payne i had would almost lay down & required little back space to do so. another great thing about them is they come in 3 pieces which makes it easy to fit threw the door and they clip together. also quit comfy. the wife was happy so that was the biggest thing that mattered. have fun & enjoy the new furniture.
Refinerytrash310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
guitarboy52

Recently bought 2018 2520 RL Passport, my wife is thinking of replacing love seat with a pair of recliners. The love seat is ok with a footrest,but, the recliners would be a nice touch, especially if she buys them.
guitarboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater