Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
MadMax

Question Wheel Bearing Packing

Last summer, soon after purchasing my fifth wheel I had the wheel bearings packed. Since then I have driven about 300 hundred miles going camping and then I drove 500 miles south to go 'full time' for the winter - parked in one spot for 6 months. Is it necessary to do another wheel bearing pack prior to driving the 500 miles back home? I wouldn't hesitate to repack them now except that I am in an RV park and unable to hook up and take it for service (which would mean we wouldn't have anyplace to live for 2 or 3 days). Upon arrival back home I would have them packed right away. Is this a no-no or not? (I should add that I am not equipped to do the job myself).
Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
davidjsimons

In my opinion, no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Ron

I would not worry about it till you returned home. It is my policy to repack every year, regardless how many miles has been driven. Moisture can get into the wheel hub therefore inspecting everything, then repacking I guess is just peace of mind, and have never had a problem since I have been heading south since 96.....just my 2 cents worth
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
3P'sInACougar

I always put on bearing buddy hubs so all I have to do is make sure they have grease. Just do not over fill them since u can blow out the seal on them. Just my two cents. Happy trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3P'sInACougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
MadMax

Wheel Bearing Packing

Thanks to all for your replies. It is much appreciated.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Ruffus

Talking Temperture

Hi Don
I had my rig now for two years and have pulled it about 18,000 miles and have not repacked the bearing yet. This season I will. I use to build trailers from cargo trailers that you pull behind a motorcycle to 45 foot flat beds to haul distillery's for making ethonal. You shouldn't have to repack them every often and what I do is check the temperature with a digtal thermometer. As long as they are all running about the same you should be okay. I make it a habit at every stop during the day. Just my opinion but have not had a failure in over thirty years.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I would not worry about it till you returned home. It is my policy to repack every year, regardless how many miles has been driven. Moisture can get into the wheel hub therefore inspecting everything, then repacking I guess is just peace of mind, and have never had a problem since I have been heading south since 96.....just my 2 cents worth
Our Cougar has the UltruLube bearing set-up. So does that mean that we don't have to have the bearings repacked? Just pump fresh grease in?

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Ayotte

I have a Cougar with Ultrulube hubs. We probaly average about 7000KM a year. All I have been doing is in the spring jacking the wheels up and checking for bearing looseness and then pumping some greese in until some of the old comes out. If the bearing are proper tightness and they have greese they should run for thousands of miles. Cars and trucks don't have to have their bearings repacked very often.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote