Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
tribalsimba

Digital Video Content

What do you use to get your DVD/BluRay's into a Media File? Where do you get Media Files of Movies otherwise?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
CampDestinations.com

Most modern DVDs and BlueRay discs have copyright protection, so you need software that will counter that. Try http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd.html
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
f6bits

I have an original Apple TV with the built-in hard drive and HDMI port. I've used Handbrake to rip my DVDs. Otherwise, I buy my videos from the iTunes store.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDestinations.com View Post
Most modern DVDs and BlueRay discs have copyright protection, so you need software that will counter that. Try http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd.html
DVD and Blue Ray players are programed for country of use and most likely will not work with European software. Blue Ray will be a hard nut to crack and even compressed files will be very large. When buying Blue Rays look for combo packs that include digital copies. (They can only be used on one computer.) JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
campingcpl

Love Slysoft software!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDestinations.com View Post
I have been using this software (Any DVD & Clone DVD) for years and absoluty love it and it has more then paid for itself. I can burn to another DVD +/- R/RW/DL or Blue Ray disk and have had no issues playing it in any DVD player or I can make it a digital file and put it on a thumb drive or transfer it to a tablet, etc.. I have had no problem with copy protection or region codes. I highly recommend their software programs.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
CampDestinations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
I have been using this software (Any DVD & Clone DVD) for years and absoluty love it and it has more then paid for itself. I can burn to another DVD +/- R/RW/DL or Blue Ray disk and have had no issues playing it in any DVD player or I can make it a digital file and put it on a thumb drive or transfer it to a tablet, etc.. I have had no problem with copy protection or region codes. I highly recommend their software programs.
Same here, and I have not had any issues with region codes. Occasionally a new DVD will have protection that AnyDVD has not accounted for. But within a month or so they post an update that gets around it.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
tribalsimba

Digital Video Playback

So then do you encode your digital files in MP4 720p, and put them on an external HDD or Flash and plug that directly into your RV AM/FM/DVD console for playback?

I have not tried, so I'm not familiar with the navigation controls of using this feature.

You know the hilarious thing is I am an IT Engineer, and can keep internet firewalls, filters, email servers, database servers, and the like running and accessible for hundreds of users. But I have just not delved into digital video.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
CampDestinations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalsimba View Post
So then do you encode your digital files in MP4 720p, and put them on an external HDD or Flash and plug that directly into your RV AM/FM/DVD console for playback?

I have not tried, so I'm not familiar with the navigation controls of using this feature.

You know the hilarious thing is I am an IT Engineer, and can keep internet firewalls, filters, email servers, database servers, and the like running and accessible for hundreds of users. But I have just not delved into digital video.
That's one way to do it. I typically encode to the highest output I can since I re-use on my home video network - I store HD quality mp4/avi files for movies on a network attached storage unit and have network connected BluRay players that can retrieve the movies. Makes for a nice self-built on-demand video system.

You could do the same, save to an iPod or similar and connect it into your RV entertainment unit through the aux hookups.

As I'm writing this, there is another software you might want to try. With this one, you'd still need the AnyDVD program to beat the copy protection on the DVD, but Movavi could replace the CloneDVD and offer some editing features as well. I like the added power of the full Movavi Video Suite, since it will do conversions for a LOT of different file types. http://www.movavi.com/

I hear ya - similar line of work. I find that often keeps me from keeping up with the rest of the world of technology.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
campingcpl

I usually just burn mine to disk but on occasion I have made digital copies in ISO/UDF format and then installed them onto a jump drive and then was able to play them using Windows Media Player. I have never tried using the jump drive in the camper video system but I have been able to use the files on our home theater system. Slysoft also makes a program called CloneDVD Mobil which will cover your DVD into a ton of different formats for all types of media devices.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote