Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
MadMax

Question 12 Volt Lights

I have a 2008 Cougar 5er and have just discovered that the small light on the front (under the overhang) adjacent to the Docking Lights and Landing Gear switches is not working. The light on the roof of the front storage compartment is also not working. Both have serviceable bulbs and a voltage check of the sockets show 11.46 volts each (probably too low to activate the bulbs). The batteries (two 6V in series) show 12.96 volts total. I am currently plugged into 120 volts with my unit.
All other 12 volt bulbs in the trailer appear to be working (from the inverter I think).
Does anyone out there have any idea what might be wrong?

MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Ron

The 11.6 volts will light the bulb and if you checked voltage in the socket, sounds like you have a grounding problem. Alot of times the outside lights with the rocker switch get corroded and over time they quite working.......
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
MadMax

12 Volt Lights

Thanks Ron,
I'll check the ground again.
Madmax
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
The 11.6 volts will light the bulb and if you checked voltage in the socket, sounds like you have a grounding problem. Alot of times the outside lights with the rocker switch get corroded and over time they quite working.......
Agreed. The ground is your first suspect.

The switch and bulb socket are worth checking if ground seems OK.

FWIW, 11.6 vdc seems a tad low if the convertor is running. After you solve the problem with the lights, it's worth a look at the rest ov the system.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I have a 2008 Cougar 5er and have just discovered that the small light on the front (under the overhang) adjacent to the Docking Lights and Landing Gear switches is not working. The light on the roof of the front storage compartment is also not working. Both have serviceable bulbs and a voltage check of the sockets show 11.46 volts each (probably too low to activate the bulbs). The batteries (two 6V in series) show 12.96 volts total. I am currently plugged into 120 volts with my unit.
All other 12 volt bulbs in the trailer appear to be working (from the inverter I think).
Does anyone out there have any idea what might be wrong?

MadMax
I suspect you have a bad ground or power connection somewhere. 11.6V measured with a voltmeter which is very high impedance indicates even with very very low current draw your dropping 1V somewhere. With a bulb in the socket, if you could measure the voltage, It is probably in the 1V or lower range. If it was 11.6V with a good bulb, it would be plenty bright.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
MadMax

12 Volt Lights

Thank you all for your assistance. I believe the problem was a bad ground. Prior to my original post I had removed the negative lead from one of the batteries (in order to measure the battery voltage) and then after replacing the lead I did not check either of the two malfunctioning lights. Later when I did test the lights they came on bright and clear.
Thanks again.

MadMax