Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Jess6092

Furnace Issues

Having issues with our furnace. Have been living in our 2005 sprinter copper canyon since 2006 and only issue we had with the heat was before we got the 100 gallon propane tank and ran out of fuel.

The furnace is not working at all right now, was working sporatically and would shut itself off in the middle of the night. Waking up to 40F is not too pleasant and probably not healthy either! When we turn the thermostat on it clicks, but furnace does nothing. Same if we adjust temp. We are thinking of replacing thermostat as a first step, but we fear it may be a furnace issue.

Anyone know what brand of furnace is in this camper, where and how to change air filters (would that help?), clean it? We have done 0 maintenance on the furnace since we have had it. How much is a new furnace? How difficult are they to replace?

Any help or suggestions appreciated!
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
camper 2010

I had what sounds like the same problem as this just a few weeks ago. You could hear the thermostat click when you would slide the temperature adjustment. I took the cover off the thermostat and didn't see anything wrong with it. I then went back to my 30 pound tanks and not using the 100. I know that this not make any sense but when I changed back then the furnace started working again. I don't know which one fixed it, but the furnace is now working. The only thing I can figure is there must be a small change in gas pressure, or dust in the thermostat.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I would guess that your furnace is a Suburban, a make found in many Keystones. If the main burner is not lighting, it could be due to a number of reasons: low level in tank or low gas pressure, a stuck or faulty sail switch, a defective thermostat, or a defective flame sensor to name a few.

Assuming that you are not talking about a heat pump, a forced-air RV furnace doesn't use filters so you needn't have to look for or replace them.

I would start with the thermostat and work your way through some of the other issues. If it is an older, non-digital type, I would replace it with a digital model. They can be found in any big-box or building supply store, including WalMart. Many members have replaced theirs with a Hunter or other similar model such as Honeywell. Do a forum search (thermostat/Hunter/Honeywell thermostat) and you will find numerous posts about how to do this.

At this point, I wouldn't run out and buy a whole new furnace as the problem is most likely fixable - either by yourself or an RV repairman if one is close at hand.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Jess6092

Thank you for the replies. I will start with the thermostat for sure. And am I correct in assuming that if the thermostat doesn't do the trick I should call a repairman, or are there other options that I could try?

I tested the stove, which is working fine, so I am not sure what else I can do to figure out if the gas pressure is correct.

Any other ideas appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Jess6092

Turned out to be the control board! Ouch, but thank goodness it's working again. Those negative 20* nights were tough with just space heaters!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Jess6092, Glad to hear that all is well and warm. Thanks for coming back and letting us know what was wrong with your furnace. It may help someone else in the future. Stay warm, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote