Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Starbux

Having trouble finding local TV Channels...

...in my Cougar 27RLS. I've performed the search function on the TV from the menu with the antennae up with no luck. It scrolls through the channels and doesn't find any. I've tried in a couple locations which should have strong signals. I called the previous owner of the camper and he said there was a 'trick' to it, but he couldn't remember what it was. Any ideas? Thanks.
Starbux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbux View Post
...in my Cougar 27RLS. I've performed the search function on the TV from the menu with the antennae up with no luck. It scrolls through the channels and doesn't find any. I've tried in a couple locations which should have strong signals. I called the previous owner of the camper and he said there was a 'trick' to it, but he couldn't remember what it was. Any ideas? Thanks.
If you are using the trailer's antenna, you have to turn on the Winegard amplifier. One of the little antenna panels in the trailer has a small black switch and an LED indicator light. It may have a 12vdc outlet and probably has at least one F style antenna connector. There are other versions. The one in my trailer looks like this:

There is a line amplifier in there that must be turned on for the signal to get to the TV from the antenna. The little switch may be either a slide switch or a push switch. The LED might be green or red. In any case, the LED must be lit up which indicates the amp is on.

In many trailers, this panel is in the bedroom by the TV center even though the actual TV is out in the living room somewhere in an entertainment center. Regardless of location:

The amp has to be on for the TV to receive an antenna signal.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Steve covered all the mechanics of it but you may need to point the antenna in the right direction. Antenna Point will tell you what channels are available and what direction they are from your location. Be sure your tv is set to Over the air or Antenna and rescan. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Mighty Ming

Question ... What portion of the digital wing antenna do you point? Front, back or middle? I don't have issues where we normally go. But in the future should we go elsewhere it would be nice to know which end to point.
Plan on trying out our Direct TV this weekend to see how that works out. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
Mopar madman

[QUOTE=Mighty Ming;53414]Question ... What portion of the digital wing antenna do you point? Front, back or middle? I don't have issues where we normally go. But in the future should we go elsewhere it would be nice to know which end to point.
Plan on trying out our Direct TV this weekend to see how that works out. Thanks.

X2

Jeff & Theresa Barsotti

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab Laramie SLT
2011 Keystone Laredo 265 RL
Mopar madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

If your antenna does not have the small UHF elements you aim the same way .... The side that the cable attaches to is the rear of antenna.
I could not find a picture of it but the disc (under the crank) that you use to turn the antenna has a point that should correspond to the direction of the antenna.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
hankaye

Starbux, Howdy;

If you are still having problems with reception,
you might want to breal-out the trusty 7/16"
open end wrench, got to every connection,
inside and out, and ensure that they are snugged
up tight. That means finger tight then using the wrench
give it 1/2 to 1 full FLAT (flat portion of the fastener), or
30 to 60 degrees to secure it in position.
A loose coaxe connection will cause bad recption...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
azlee56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Ming View Post
Question ... What portion of the digital wing antenna do you point? Front, back or middle? I don't have issues where we normally go. But in the future should we go elsewhere it would be nice to know which end to point.

I am so glad you asked that, I have been wondering that also.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Mighty Ming

Ok thanks for the info. Due to my aging mind I forgot that I someone had already clarified this. For others here is a pic...ck the bottom of the pic for the aiming/directional arrow. Gotta love this forum. Thanks for the reminder gentlemen.

Go Padres!!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Mighty Ming

Wouldn't you know it...,ALWAYS have great reception on Calsbads state beach. But today the reception has been horrible!!! The ball game was in n out never had that before. Oh well who cares my Padres are out of it.,,.,so for now it's just baseball. my Chargers suck so ....il just drink my pain away.

Go Padres!!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
oldfamer

I notice that it says to gears twice a year. Does anyone do this and how do you do this.
oldfamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
oldfamer

I ment grease the gears. Another senior moment.
oldfamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
Starbux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Ming View Post
Wouldn't you know it...,ALWAYS have great reception on Calsbads state beach. But today the reception has been horrible!!! The ball game was in n out never had that before. Oh well who cares my Padres are out of it.,,.,so for now it's just baseball. my Chargers suck so ....il just drink my pain away.

But my beloved Cardinals are on the brink of making it to the Series again Ming. Thanks for all of the good advice everyone as I'll be using the camper during the World Series on a hunting trip. I'll try the tips above to ensure that I get to watch them in lieu of just listening in the camper.
Starbux is offline   Reply With Quote