Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2022, 05:55 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two "most popular" or "most used" furnace brands. One has an exterior door, one does not. So there's a 50/50 chance of even having a furnace that possibly could be equipped with a exterior access door. Then, there's the manufacturer, for whatever reason, that builds trailers with the "exterior door capability" but elects not to install the door while there are other manufacturers who always install the door, but they almost always ONLY INSTALL the Atwood furnace, which means if a customer won't buy a trailer with an Atwood furnace, they've lost the sale... (double edged sword)...

Then comes the "interchangability on the line" issues currently facing every RV manufacturer. Do they "cut a large hole in the side" and then run out of Atwood furnaces (which means shutting down the line) or do they build with no exterior door and keep the production in progress ????

You've got to understand (not agree with, but UNDERSTAND) that Keystone does not (and probably NEVER has) put the buyer's preferences as the primary factor in what they build. Trust me when I say that if it costs Keystone to incorporate a change, that change will not be available to the buying public UNTIL it affects the Keystone profit margins.... That's when you'll see things like "exterior furnace doors" being installed on trailers with Atwood furnaces but a "specialized sidewall exemption" being managed as the walls are built offsite, for trailers with Suburban furnaces and "production line stops when Atwood furnaces are not available for the trailers with the "special wall build"....

It's not as "simple" as just add a door to "my trailer" because I prefer one....

Before rebuttal, the auto manufacturers do the same thing. Why do you think you can only get an optional feature as part of a package that has some items you don't want??? It's because the option you want requires the harness or the computer change that includes the other features and the manufacturer won't make "one change without selling the package"...

Keystone's "package" is not as refined as the automobile manufacturers and with today's RV sales environment, if "you" don't buy the trailer they build, there are 10 people with approved credit standing in line behind you.... It's a "seller's market"... When/if that changes, you may see some increased response to buyer's preferences.... But I doubt it will ever evolve to the "exterior furnace door for Atwood but not for Suburban furnace" trailers.... Just too much "coordination before the trailer starts down the line" and right now, Keystone doesn't need to deal with that, they're selling trailers as fast as they can push them out the door.... Do you really think they're even remotely concerned with a access door that's optional ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:33 AM   #22
ggoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Well just after getting a reoccurring water tank problem repaired again, which was just one problem of many, now my furnace won't light. Why would Keystone not have the outside furnace access panel on this trailer instead of just the chimney? So after removing the contents of my storage compartment and tearing out the whole inside wall I find it way back out of reach behind an aluminum framed support wall and wiring and water lines all around and behind it. It will be a nightmare to try and remove it to fix. Has anyone here bought an access panel and frame and cut a hole in the wall to mount it without removing the furnace? Keystone really cheaped out on us here!
I here ya! I have the same problem in my 2019 Cougar. I can access my furnace with is in a kitchen cabinet by pulling out 2 drawers and remove the wood (MDF) grill. You would think that the manufacturer would install a "reliable" furnace in a location like that. I'm a capable guy when it comes to repairs but this has got to be a service person's nightmare!
ggoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

If you take into account how many furnaces are installed in Rv’s the failure rate is pretty small. Dometic admitted to a bad batch of sail switches, but even those were fairly easy to replace.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:32 PM   #24
MotownJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Another ???

ALL brands have issues.
This is what I've notice while looking up solutions to my 2009 Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel issues. Every make, model has something people are concerned with.

It all boils down to what you can live with. Our furnace doesn't seem to have an exterior outside access to it. But when hooked up in a trailer park we use an electric ceramic heater to supplement the forced air furnace in the rig.

YMMV of course, but I just haven't seen any universal/easy answers to all these questions. You research, you explore, and you choose/take your chances.

BUT this thread IS interesting to read!!!
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:27 PM   #25
Life-in-Him

If I hadn't given the mobile tech a hand when he replaced our sail switch, I wouldn't know the tricks of the electrical connections.
It isn't that big a deal when limber 60 yr old or younger.
But pushing 80 next year & partially paralyzed it gets a bit harder.
Of course the highest failure components would be accessible from outside with a door but we live & learn don't we?
We do know how to get it out if there is a motor or controller failure.
We used our borescope to check burn chamber, fan etc. & Went in from the inside to check the heating blower from the access panel.
Guess the alternative would be trade it in on one with an access door. 🥱😭
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:55 PM   #26
SJH

Furnace door

Installed one myself.
SJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #27
Life-in-Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJH View Post
Installed one myself.
Sources / part number of the door you used?
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:20 AM   #28
SJH

30637 Kit Door
SJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #29
JohnP

Furnace Update !!! From the stick banger ! I posted a couple weeks back of the same old problem of fan coming on and no ignition. I had posted that I made the sail switch blade wider with foil tape and it worked right after the fix. I took my trailer out last weekend and had some cool nights so turned the furnace on ,,,,,, and it worked flawlessly all weekend. Problem I bet for many is the blade on the sail switch is too small. I also don't like not having an access panel on the out side where everything would be accessable to check and adjust ,clean etc. etc. etc. I will put an access panel in one day. It's just not practical to have to remove the furnace for minor maintenance or repair ! Where there is a will ..... there IS a way. So you go Army !
Old 06-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Furnace Update !!! From the stick banger ! I posted a couple weeks back of the same old problem of fan coming on and no ignition. I had posted that I made the sail switch blade wider with foil tape and it worked right after the fix. I took my trailer out last weekend and had some cool nights so turned the furnace on ,,,,,, and it worked flawlessly all weekend. Problem I bet for many is the blade on the sail switch is too small. I also don't like not having an access panel on the out side where everything would be accessable to check and adjust ,clean etc. etc. etc. I will put an access panel in one day. It's just not practical to have to remove the furnace for minor maintenance or repair ! Where there is a will ..... there IS a way. So you go Army !
The purpose of the sail switch is to assess the airflow through the furnace, not to turn on "if there's airflow"... The size of the sail switch blade is determined by the amount of air volume/velocity over the blade, not just "to close if there is air movement".... So, while you may have "solved the sail switch not closing" problem, it may no longer function to monitor the safety of the furnace and may be allowing the furnace to ignite even with insufficient airflow....

Your furnace may be working, but it may not be "safely working"....

To me, modifying the sail switch like you did is sort of the same as wrapping a fuse cartridge with aluminum foil because it keeps blowing the fuse.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-02-2022, 06:46 PM   #31
Army

Jrt and Chuckster seem to know it all but have no relevant answers to my question and it has been a waste of time reading those posts Thanku Sjh for the part number, can u tell us where you found a supplier? Thanks Johnp and the others that posted with the same issues.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:04 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Jrt and Chuckster seem to know it all but have no relevant answers to my question and it has been a waste of time reading those posts Thanku Sjh for the part number, can u tell us where you found a supplier? Thanks Johnp and the others that posted with the same issues.

Might want to utilize "google" vs wasting your time??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:28 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You do realize this a social media forum and not a " help line" right? I don't recommend you taking the "shut up and set down unless your going to answer the question" approach around the campfire.... or maybe you should, might be a good lesson to learn.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:38 AM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
So sorry wasted your time…your definition of relevant is obviously different from mine. I wish you all the best in your modification.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:48 AM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I never claimed to “know it all”. I do however know how different RV manufacturers have installed numerous furnaces in thousands of RV’s and the “designed” way to service them. Again, I wish you all the best in your quest to modify your unit…I’m done with this thread.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:55 AM   #36
Carrottop

Smile

Quote:
I find posts like this disrespectful to the time and energy these folks put into assisting RV'ers with their issues and giving sound advice. If you do not like the advice that is being given please by all means move on with your own solution. We do not always have to agree on outcomes from any one situation but to make a comment as harsh as you did is uncalled for and unwarranted.

I know I appreciate all the advice I have gotten over the years and I hope that the information I have given helps out as well.

Good Job Guys you are appreciated
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #37
Army

I apologize for ruffling feathers, I'm just frustrated with answers that in no way address my actual question. I do appreciate the truly great resource we have here and in all forums where people are willing to share their experiences and help with repairs that many of us come across.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:16 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Well just after getting a reoccurring water tank problem repaired again, which was just one problem of many, now my furnace won't light. Why would Keystone not have the outside furnace access panel on this trailer instead of just the chimney? So after removing the contents of my storage compartment and tearing out the whole inside wall I find it way back out of reach behind an aluminum framed support wall and wiring and water lines all around and behind it. It will be a nightmare to try and remove it to fix. Has anyone here bought an access panel and frame and cut a hole in the wall to mount it without removing the furnace? Keystone really cheaped out on us here!
Quote:
I apologize for ruffling feathers, I'm just frustrated with answers that in no way address my actual question. I do appreciate the truly great resource we have here and in all forums where people are willing to share their experiences and help with repairs that many of us come across.
You might want to take a look at the questions you "actually asked" not what you "wished people would give you answers for"..... When you ask why Keystone does something and get those answers, it's DIRECTLY providing the specific answer to the specific question you asked.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #39
wiredgeorge

Quote:
"Why would Keystone not have the outside furnace access panel on this trailer instead of just the chimney?"

Well, as Jack Nicholson said in the movie A Few Good Men, "I am an educated man but I can't possibly know the travel habits of one PFC William Santiago". I think the point is, why would any member of this forum know the mind of Keystone design engineers. Perhaps:

1, They didn't care they would make you angry by not designing an outside access door for your trailer.
2. They didn't think the furnace would ever require service.
3. They didn't feel the absence of an access door would hurt sales.
4. They left an outside access door out of their design because it would cost more money to add one.
5. They thought only small contortionists would purchase your trailer model

I could go on as there are likely a zillion permutations of what Keystone had in mind but one thing I am sure of.... the folks who are most helpful, while educated, do not know the travel habits of one PFC William Santiago.

BTW: Have you ever extended yourself to help another member in the manner of those that you called out?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #40
sahively

Did you order the Code Red, George!?
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace