Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #1
TLC87

Inverted outlet locations

I have a 2021 22RBS, and installing solar on the roof.

All documentation says there should be 3 outlets identified as "Inverted Outlet", but none of my outlets have any labels.

Can someone tell me which three outlets they typically are?

Thank you,
TLC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
GHen

Inverted outlet locations

Do you already have an inverter?

If not, the documentation is normally general in nature and may reference any options that are available from factory even if that option is installed in your unit.

If so, Unplug from shore power, turn on inverter, then check which outlets have power.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC87 View Post

All documentation says there should be 3 outlets identified as "Inverted Outlet", but none of my outlets have any labels.

Thank you,
I have a 2021 26RBSWE and my outlets were: left side of bed, one outlet in the kitchen (closest to the bedroom), my TV and one in the outdoor kitchen (same circuit) as the TV. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
dutchmensport

I'm assuming your 22RBS is a Cougar. You did not specify. If that is the case, then your Cougar has a gas-electric refrigerator. It won't have an inverter. Inverters are installed when campers have residential refrigerators.

Have you identified and found an inverter on yours? If so, I am wrong. But if you have an inverter, one plug always goes to the refrigerator.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC87 View Post

Thank you,
Dutchman is probably correct. My Cougar 26RBWSE came with solar installed even though I have a gas/electric frig. Keystone is very sloppy in their builds; my outlets were not marked I took a string of Christmas lights and plugged them in each outlet after I un-plugged from shore power.
The dealer service department nor several Keystone customer service people could let me which circuits were on the inverter.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:14 PM   #6
TLC87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Do you already have an inverter?

If not, the documentation is normally general in nature and may reference any options that are available from factory even if that option is installed in your unit.

If so, Unplug from shore power, turn on inverter, then check which outlets have power.
Thank you all for the info. GHen, I have not installed the inverter yet. Testing the outlets is my option B after I do.
TLC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:44 AM   #7
dutchmensport

So, ....???? your camper does not already have an inverter, you are planning on installing one. That throws a different dimension on the original question then.

If you are installing an inverter, then you have the option to make any 120 v power plug functional with the inverter. Or, you can simply run new electric line and install dedicated only plugs for the inverter, then you can add them anywhere in the camper. Yes, that could be done.

Installing an inverter wired into your existing system, so the same plug can flip instanteniously from shore power to inverter power will require a pretty good understanding of how the electrical system in your camper runs, and how things are wired into the camper's power/breaker box/fuse box/converter. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it. I'd opt for just running new dedicated plugs off the inverter.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but here's the image of how my Magnium Inverter is set up with the transfer switch, and then going to the campers fuse/breaker box, and then to the refrigerator.

I still do not understand how mine is wired up, after 3 years trying to figure it out. When the breaker is off for the refrigerator (on shore power), the refrigerator is off and 1 other plug is also off also (bedroom television). But when I flip on the inverter, the refrigerator turns on, but the plug in the bed room is still dead. I absolutely have not been able to figure out what's going on. So, this stuff is tricky . It's not impossible to do, anything is possible with the right tools, time to do it, money to do it, space to do it in, and the knowledge to do it (or at least the willingness to try).

Here's the image. Study this out. The more I look at it, the more confused I get over one plug working and one not working?

Oh, one more thing. On another discussion on another forum, it was draw to my attention that, when disconnecting an inverter from the battery, the positive side should be disconnected first. This caused a lot of debate. But then I noticed when I looked at my own camper, there is a battery kill switch for the inverter, and the kill switch is wired into the positive side! So when the battery kill switch is being used (the same thing as disconnecting a wire from the battery), it's plumbed into the positive side. So, when disconnecting your battery from everything, flip the kill switch on the positive cable first. This powers down the inverter correctly. Then disconnect everything from the battery as normal (negative post first). I just learned this about the inverter only a couple days ago. Thought I'd pass it on.

Good luck with your project. I wish you well.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:46 AM   #8
GHen

Great info above.

If you do not have a factory inverter (or solar), I highly doubt they installed provisions for outlets to be wired for an inverter.

For it to be properly wired for an inverter, there needs to be a transfer switch between the inverter and the wiring, or the inverter needs to have an inverter with a built in transfer switch.

The good news is when you do have an inverter installed, you get to choose what outlets you want powered by the inverter!
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:59 AM   #9
Mr. Rusty

"I still do not understand how mine is wired up, after 3 years trying to figure it out. When the breaker is off for the refrigerator (on shore power), the refrigerator is off and 1 other plug is also off also (bedroom television). But when I flip on the inverter, the refrigerator turns on, but the plug in the bed room is still dead. I absolutely have not been able to figure out what's going on."

Dutchman, for this to happen they must have the tv outlet wired to the refrigerator breaker before the transfer switch and the refrigerator is connected after the transfer switch. On shore power they both get power but on the inverter only the refrigerator gets power. Hope this solves your mystery.
Mr. Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:04 AM   #10
Camp CA

Bone are labeled on my fifth wheel trailer...........however they living room tv, 1 kitchen outlet, refrigerator and 1 bedroom outlet.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:07 PM   #11
jxnbbl

I will guess that since it is 2021, it might be the zamp otg package prewiring as a backbone.

This means that solar panels were installed, they were plugged in to the roof cap. The wires to from the roof cap->charge controller are hooked up prior, and then the wiring from the charge controller is wire to the battery (the power side of the shutoff).

There was a whole thread finding the wires mentioned above (low volt side of the system). I asked at the end of the thread if the inverter power loop was found. It is usually under a cover in the storage area with "inverter prep" in this case it was just zip tied (I believe) to the ceiling of the compartment.

The 'destructive method' - If you are installing the inverter it is simple, test all the outlets to make sure they work, disconnect all power, cut the romex cable in the loop, cap both sides of it. Turn power - any outlets not working are in the "inverter circuit". Then test the two ends of the cut wire to figure which goes to the breakers (line side) as that will be needed for the inverter wiring. (assuming you have an integrated transfer switch for the inverter you purchase).

The 'non-destructive' - find the loop and use an electrical detector to detect power after shutting off each breaker. This will identify the circuit that the inverter is going on. Turn on the power and turn off the identified breaker, the inverter outlets are among the collection of outlets not working. The reason I say among is that theoretically any outlets 'before the inverter loop' will not have power if running the inverter. Someone with more knowledge would have to tell us if that is ever true.

Personally I would label any outlet as part of the inverter circuit just like gfci protected is noted.

My inverter is in storage waiting for installation...supply chain problem with the gauge wire I needed so never got to it.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:01 PM   #12
jasin1

On my 2020 unit the breaker is marked “solar” for the inverter outlets,and stickers on each solar outlet
Old 03-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #13
Folkie

On my 2020 22RBS the inverter "loop" powers the driver side bed outlet, the TV outlet and the kitchen under-cabinet outlet closest to the entry door. This can be verified using the procedures as outlined above by JXNBBL.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #14
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I have a 2021 26RBSWE and my outlets were: left side of bed, one outlet in the kitchen (closest to the bedroom), my TV and one in the outdoor kitchen (same circuit) as the TV. Hope this helps.
Same with my 2020 Cougar Half-Ton Fifth Wheel 29RKS. The same three outlets were prewired to be hot in the prewired for solar package. Seems Keystone uses 1 bedroom plug, 1 kitchen plug & 1 plug in entertainment/tv area.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote