Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2022, 04:18 AM   #1
upontheridge

Carbon 338

Looking at purchasing a Keystone Carbon 338 as we prefer the shorter length and layout. Moving from a bumper tow 2012 KZ MXT 303. Will be towing the Carbon with a 2019 Ford F350 6 3/4 bed with OEM Puck system installed. Trying to decide on a 5th wheel hitch. Looking at B&W but wondering if I need the slider option. Would also appreciate any current Carbon 338 model owner comments.
upontheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:37 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by upontheridge View Post
Looking at purchasing a Keystone Carbon 338 as we prefer the shorter length and layout. Moving from a bumper tow 2012 KZ MXT 303. Will be towing the Carbon with a 2019 Ford F350 6 3/4 bed with OEM Puck system installed. Trying to decide on a 5th wheel hitch. Looking at B&W but wondering if I need the slider option. Would also appreciate any current Carbon 338 model owner comments.
I had a slider in my short bed Ram …I bought it originally because I didn’t think I’d be able to maneuver into a spot without it….in reality you don’t need it if your careful and take your time backing up BUT it’s nice to have in case you get in a jam
If you go down a dead end road by mistake and have no other option but try and turn around…don’t want the fiver hitting the truck cab..

I had a Reese’s slider hitch and it was a pain to use the slider …it’s not easy to engage/disengage the slider ..kinda jerks and clanks it’s way

Auto sliders are nice but expensive and weigh a lot more then standard sliders
Old 02-17-2022, 06:12 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I always say it’s better have and never need than to need and not have.

There are a couple of different brands of sliders and I would get an auto slider.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #4
RamminTime

I have a short bed Ram started out with Curt Q12 slider, extremely nice and loved it. But extremely heavy and a bear to move in/out of truck. Then briefly went with Andersen Ultimate rail mount. I liked it but there was the debate of Lippert vs Keystone with the cracks. I ended up getting rid of it after 3-4 long hauls and when Keystone issued letter no warranty cracks after a certain date (did not want to potentially put myself in that battle). I now have the Demco Recon and love it more than the others I’ve had. It comes in both rail and puck mount, very easy to remove as the weight is much lower than a traditional hitch.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #5
ragerc92

I have a 21 gmc 3500 6'10" bed. I use a curt A20 with a slider. Havent needed the slider yet. GMs put the ball slightly rearward of the rear axle so maybe thats why I havent needed it. I'll probably ditch the slider for the goosebox now that I know its maneuverable without it. If you get a slider make sure it doesnt travel too far back where the pinbox would hit the tailgate.
ragerc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #6
ragerc92

When you check it out make sure there are AC ducts in the garage. They are supposed to be but mine are missing. Check that your entry doors seal. Mine has a big gap at the top, can see daylight. We got a big list but most things are minor. Our dealer service dept is terrible. The price I pay for buying localish I guess. We love the floorplan though. Another foot in the garage would have been perfect.
OH yeah.. The queen that came in our was a camper queen, not the advertised 60x80 queen.
ragerc92 is offline   Reply With Quote