Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #1
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Ok a bit of information is always good?

when we went to pick up our trailer, it had this hitch installed. The service technician showed us how to hook it up. That was the extent of it.. No nothing was said about taking the rods off before backing up.. nor did he use the power jack to raise the tongue...I found that information right here..
The wife and I took some cones to a HS parking lot, and started praticing backing up. And yes this made quite a racket, and probably should have had those arms off,, right?
Do these folks just assume everyone knows this information? There was nothing in ther way of instructions given to us.. Do I have to you tube everything about this trailer, right now I'd say yes.. anyone with advise? This will be towed down a gravel road sometime this summer, low speed,, take the bars off?

Old 02-13-2022, 05:14 PM   #2
meaz93*

I'd leave the WDH on when towing... even as you stated going slowly down a gravel road?
But when backing up I would take the bars off.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Leave the bars on until your parked. Instructions given will depend on the dealership and the tech. I always made sure the customer knew how to hitch/unhitch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #4
j.w.

We bought our camper used so it didn't have a hitch. When researching which to buy we noticed that some hitches stated they "allow backing up", others did not. The one we purchased did allow for backing up and I have backed up with the bars installed several times. So it really depends on the hitch you have. As chuckster57 says, if you purchased from a dealership, instructions just depend on the dealer and techs. Some are really helpful, some are not. I have gathered most of my knowledge from youtube and this forum.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:20 PM   #5
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Leave the bars on until your parked. Instructions given will depend on the dealership and the tech. I always made sure the customer knew how to hitch/unhitch.
I wish he had shown us to lift the tongue with the trailer jack, made things a lot easier both on and off. For parking, we set up cones and maybe were trying too tight of a turn, because it sure made racket?
Old 02-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #6
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.w. View Post
We bought our camper used so it didn't have a hitch. When researching which to buy we noticed that some hitches stated they "allow backing up", others did not. The one we purchased did allow for backing up and I have backed up with the bars installed several times. So it really depends on the hitch you have. As chuckster57 says, if you purchased from a dealership, instructions just depend on the dealer and techs. Some are really helpful, some are not. I have gathered most of my knowledge from youtube and this forum.
well it was pretty cold that day, wind chill and all, and the hour was late.. so it was a bit of a rush through it all. We did this practice several times, and the last was a tight turn, and the hitch really was popping.. I think if I get into a tight spot, I may remove the bars first? Ya, all of this is new to me,, towed a pop-up and several boats, not a 25 ft trailer behind a crew cab.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:24 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

They will creak and groan. Equalizer E4 has wear pads you can install to reduce the noise, husky might have some, I haven’t looked.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

WDH will make noise, it's ok. I don’t know of any WDH that requires removal of the bars for removal. Perhaps what you heard was a refence o fricton anti sway bars. They do require removal when backing to avoid bending them. I think they are not very useful or practical. A 4 point WDH with intregal sway control will give you much better results IMO.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:54 PM   #9
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
WDH will make noise, it's ok. I don’t know of any WDH that requires removal of the bars for removal. Perhaps what you heard was a refence o fricton anti sway bars. They do require removal when backing to avoid bending them. I think they are not very useful or practical. A 4 point WDH with intregal sway control will give you much better results IMO.
Ok, this guy tells his customer to take them off if he turns more than a 45.... or you'll bend the crap out of everything. Wife and I were very close to exceeding that 45, and it was making some horrible noise.. fastforward to around 5:19

Old 02-14-2022, 06:48 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Ok, so you found a Youboob of a guy saying what you want to hear. That's goog. I wish you good travels, no need for future assistance by me.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #11
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Ok, so you found a Youboob of a guy saying what you want to hear. That's goog. I wish you good travels, no need for future assistance by me.
Ya, probably not..... how does one know what exactly your qualifications are?
What I am saying, is when we had the cones set out to practice backing up, the hitch did make what "I" and my "wife considered an over the top noise.
Is everything on youtube spot on, heck no.. but I trust my ears, and the ones on the sides of my wifes head as well.. You not commenting really means nothing to me.. like I said, exactly how do you qualify as an expert? If you had even wathed the video, you'd haved noticed the customer brought that question up,, ya he asked because he had heard from others... lets just say, a tight turn with the 4x4 hubs in, on dry pavement is a no no.. you feel it, you hear it.. but thanks for your 2 bits worth. In a few months, I'll see who I should be listening too...
Old 02-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #12
markcee

Quote:
I kinda think the OP was simply pointing out that he's seen other information, not doubting your word.....
Old 02-14-2022, 07:50 AM   #13
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I kinda think the OP was simply pointing out that he's seen other information, not doubting your word.....
What I really wish, is that they had passed the paper work on to me with the hitch? A phone call may be the better answer, right?
Sorry if I came across like an "A" hole.. my dang shoulder kept me up all night, and yes I am crabby.. not your problem, mine.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:50 AM   #14
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1955 View Post
Ya, probably not..... how does one know what exactly your qualifications are?
What I am saying, is when we had the cones set out to practice backing up, the hitch did make what "I" and my "wife considered an over the top noise.
Is everything on youtube spot on, heck no.. but I trust my ears, and the ones on the sides of my wifes head as well.. You not commenting really means nothing to me.. like I said, exactly how do you qualify as an expert? If you had even wathed the video, you'd haved noticed the customer brought that question up,, ya he asked because he had heard from others... lets just say, a tight turn with the 4x4 hubs in, on dry pavement is a no no.. you feel it, you hear it.. but thanks for your 2 bits worth. In a few months, I'll see who I should be listening too...
That's a great way to introduce yourself
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
Old 02-14-2022, 07:59 AM   #15
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
That's a great way to introduce yourself
Ya perhaps not.. not a great night.. sorry.
I don't come here with argueing as my goal... besides that shoulder, I deal with what feels like my legs in a hot bath. I think diabetics call it neuropthic pain. And it always seems worse at night when you need to rest... 23 years and counting.. smiles don't come easily.
Communicating in a few lines can be challenging. Perhaps it'll get better?
Old 02-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's the link to the actual manual written by the manufacturer that details the installation, adjustment and operational use of the Husky Center Line TS Hitch. https://www.huskytow.com/husky-towing-center-line-ts Just click on the specific model you have, when that page opens, scroll down to "Product Literature & Manuals" and download the manual.

Every one I've opened states to "raise the hitched vehicle to more easily attach the WD bars" (so that problem IS covered in the manual)

None of the ones I've opened states to "remove the bars before backing or when on gravel roads" (so I'd suspect that's a personal preference, not a manufacturer's requirement).

I'd suspect you won't find anybody better equipped to give "instructions" about the hitch than the people who built it.

That said, when "anti sway hitches" first appeared on the market, to replace the "chain link hitch bars", there were some problems with battery box/propane rack clearance. The WD bar support brackets need to be installed on the tongue at a specific distance from the hitch coupler (so the bars ride IN the support bracket, not slide OUT of the bracket at tight angles)...

I'd suspect that in the "early days of anti-sway hitches" several people realized that if the brackets are installed too far back (rather than move the battery tray or the propane rack), when backing the trailer, you can "really screw up things" if the bar on the long side comes out of the bracket and digs into the blacktop.

So, the "old wive's tale" becomes a "urban legend" and now, the You Tube videos say, "Remove your bars before you back up" and "Remove your bars if you're going to tow on gravel roads" so it's also a "internet legend"...

Hmmmmm NONE OF THOSE RULES ARE IN THE MANUFACTURER'S MANUAL.....

Sort of like the old one from when I was a kid: If you put a block of salt on a bird's tail it can't fly..... Yep, but try getting close enough while carrying the block of salt....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-14-2022, 08:08 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Everyone has their own "personal challenges". This is a Keystone RV forum, and we deal with issues related to Keystone trailers. We do extend a welcome to people who own other brands and we try to help them with problems....

That said, the "personal challenges" we all face aren't a part of the forum and don't justify or excuse inappropriate conduct. It's up to each member to limit their forum input when their "personal challenges" affect how they interact with other members.

The "personal challenges" should never become an excuse for what's posted on the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-14-2022, 08:31 AM   #18
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Thanks for posting the manual, I'll head there next. I just got off the phone with Husky Tech support. They simply stated if you are backing and making a tight turn, have a spotter back there watching, but you sould not have to remove the bars. Also, lubricate only the areas out on the tongue where the bars slide, nothing near the hitch ball... I was in back watching when my wife was making the turn into a double stall parking area, and at one poiunt it appeared my tired were slanting outward..and I think I was hearing shackle noise. The wife noticed the same.. So with that being said, we'll avoid backing in beyond a 45 angle, in one attempt. My personal opinion... patience. I think the ame holds true with traveling down a rough road,, simply slow things down...
877-544-4449
And ya, I don't have to be here when I'm not feeling well, I check my e-mail, and head here just to read the replies..
Old 02-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #19
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's the link to the actual manual written by the manufacturer that details the installation, adjustment and operational use of the Husky Center Line TS Hitch. https://www.huskytow.com/husky-towing-center-line-ts Just click on the specific model you have, when that page opens, scroll down to "Product Literature & Manuals" and download the manual.

Every one I've opened states to "raise the hitched vehicle to more easily attach the WD bars" (so that problem IS covered in the manual)

None of the ones I've opened states to "remove the bars before backing or when on gravel roads" (so I'd suspect that's a personal preference, not a manufacturer's requirement).

I'd suspect you won't find anybody better equipped to give "instructions" about the hitch than the people who built it.

That said, when "anti sway hitches" first appeared on the market, to replace the "chain link hitch bars", there were some problems with battery box/propane rack clearance. The WD bar support brackets need to be installed on the tongue at a specific distance from the hitch coupler (so the bars ride IN the support bracket, not slide OUT of the bracket at tight angles)...

I'd suspect that in the "early days of anti-sway hitches" several people realized that if the brackets are installed too far back (rather than move the battery tray or the propane rack), when backing the trailer, you can "really screw up things" if the bar on the long side comes out of the bracket and digs into the blacktop.

So, the "old wive's tale" becomes a "urban legend" and now, the You Tube videos say, "Remove your bars before you back up" and "Remove your bars if you're going to tow on gravel roads" so it's also a "internet legend"...

Hmmmmm NONE OF THOSE RULES ARE IN THE MANUFACTURER'S MANUAL.....

Sort of like the old one from when I was a kid: If you put a block of salt on a bird's tail it can't fly..... Yep, but try getting close enough while carrying the block of salt....
Yep, this is where I went, and made the call, she said use a spotter.. drive slow on rough roads, and only grease the front of the rods.. I saw my tires slant when my wife was backing in, and pretty sure it was noise coming off the shackles.. So we'll adapt from that experience...
Old 02-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #20
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Everyone has their own "personal challenges". This is a Keystone RV forum, and we deal with issues related to Keystone trailers. We do extend a welcome to people who own other brands and we try to help them with problems....

That said, the "personal challenges" we all face aren't a part of the forum and don't justify or excuse inappropriate conduct. It's up to each member to limit their forum input when their "personal challenges" affect how they interact with other members.

The "personal challenges" should never become an excuse for what's posted on the forum.
I'll eliminate posts from showing in my e-mail, and spend time on that forum, when I decide.
Closed Thread