Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
But sometimes it is indeed spontaneous combustion.
In the mid '70s, a whole corner of the Pentagon got taken out by a linseed oil rag.
Given how these guys are known to lose hammer heads in black tanks, I wouldn't be surprised at something like that.
Fire requires fuel, air, and an ignition source. There's nothing spontaneouse about that. That ignition can be chemical, electrical, or even light but there is always a cause.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:10 AM   #22
CaptnJohn

Sad. To see 12-16 go up on smoke. Buyers have been waiting a long time for delivery and are now back to square one. Hopefully no one was hurt. Keystone just took 3/4 million hit, hopefully insured

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Sad. To see 12-16 go up on smoke. Buyers have been waiting a long time for delivery and are now back to square one. Hopefully no one was hurt. Keystone just took 3/4 million hit, hopefully insured
The question is do the people get their deposits back if they made one?
And if any were special ordered will they go to the front of the line as far as build dates or the back?

I’m thinking the back of the line unfortunately as the company will probably think it’s better to have 12-16 people pissed off rather then 24-32
Old 02-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #24
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Fire requires fuel, air, and an ignition source. There's nothing spontaneouse about that. That ignition can be chemical, electrical, or even light but there is always a cause.
I'm not really interested in an argument, but the event I mentioned was the very exemplar of spontaneous combustion as that term is defined.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:27 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

"Due to chemical, biological, or physical processes, combustible materials self-heat to a temperature high enough for ignition to occur. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), an estimated 14,070 fires occur annually from spontaneous combustion."

We can argue semantics but if you read what I stated I described what I bolded. I don’t beleive fires start for "no apparent reason".
Old 02-25-2022, 12:13 PM   #26
skids

Spontaneous heating/ignition is mysterious and yet fairly common. I have seen many coal stock piles with “smokers.” It typically happens when it rains and then the sun comes out. Also it can happen when there is air movement through coal - just the right amount. All of the jugs of linseed oil have warnings about it.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:42 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Spontaneous heating/ignition is mysterious and yet fairly common. I have seen many coal stock piles with “smokers.” It typically happens when it rains and then the sun comes out. Also it can happen when there is air movement through coal - just the right amount. All of the jugs of linseed oil have warnings about it.

In our part of the world we have cotton module fires every year. Cotton is stripped, put into module builders and the module formed, placed on the ground and then covered with a plastic form fitting tarp...in the middle of a barren field. Yet, every year those things self combust and the farmer just hopes it doesn't spread to a lot of them; mysterious indeed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

I'm not mystified by fire. It's a well known scientific fact why things catch on fire and why things explode. Because we don't witness or find the cause doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There is always a source of ignition, whatever that causation is it does exist. A mix of chemicals, a static spark, heat, whatever. When a tree falls in a forrest it makes a noise even if we aren't there to hear it. When a fire ignights it's because of a an ignition source. That source doesn't have to be caused by the intentional action of a human to start the fire. JMHO

Tags
fuzion, keystone