Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2022, 08:50 AM   #41
ssthrd

OP, good advice above for the most part for sure. One thing not touched on is awareness or alertness to where you are and what's coming. Doesn't matter if you have diesel or gas, you have to be able to handle whatever situation you might encounter whatever you have for tow vehicle.

Living in BC, and full time RVing, mountain driving is normal for me, and I have covered the big stuff from California to Alaska. I know most of the passes enough to know what they are like and how I have handled them in the past. Confidence is good as long as it is mixed with respect. A little fear on top of that keeps the attention level up.

A little story..... As I was travelling home from Edmonton to Vancouver Island I stopped in Merritt to fuel up and run around the rig a few times to get the senses working again after a long day. We decided to continue on so we could catch the first ferry in the morning to the Island. This was at 2AM, and common sense told me to have a snooze and catch a later ferry. but no..... "I know this road like the back of my hand, and I'm in good shape. Let's go." Away we went.

"The Highway From Hell" section of the Coquihalla Highway is actually not a bad drive for the most part--just a little steep in places. Imagine my surprise when I saw the snow shed ahead. I was more surprised to see 3500 rpm on my tach in 4th gear and I'm going way too fast down a 8-9% slope which is 15 kms long. Revs are too high to gear down to 3rd. Now wide awake, I managed to pulse the brake to get my 22,000 lbs slowed down enough to grab 3rd and get back under control. I stopped in Hope and when my heart rate got back to normal, I had a little snooze. Caught a later ferry, but at least I got home.

Things can happen pretty quick when one is not paying attention. Lesson learned for me, and I promised myself that I wouldn't be an idiot behind the wheel again. So far so good. Mostly.

Experience is a good thing, so just do it. Things become easier after time. Complacency is not your friend.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
ssthrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:47 PM   #42
hornet28

I like watching the show with the wreckers working the Coquihalla Highway
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #43
FamilyFuzion2021

Usually the speed limit of the mountain roads are too fast for RVs. On steep grades I try to stay 5 to 10 below posted and use the "Stab Break" method. This is applying hard braking for a quick slow down to 10mph under your desired speed then let brakes cool to avoid glazing. Once your rig is back up to speed, repeat this process over. I also follow the posted limit for Simi's when available.

Tags
mount, tow, towing