Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2021, 04:27 PM   #21
Greg1780

Thanks for your imput
Greg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:35 AM   #22
SD Kitty

We have a Pullrite slider hitch it requires (according to the manual)

* the truck and trailer must be within 10 degrees to hitch/unhitch
* when Unhitching, rear chalks must be in place and gently back into them to take pressure off the jaws
* do not raise the trailer too high as the bottom of the pin can catch on the retainer catch and bind it. (We watch for just a bit of light between the base and the trailer plate then stop and roll the truck)

We have experienced all the problems you mentioned and we had to work them out like you are…. Hope this helps
SD Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:57 AM   #23
travelin texans

The only Reese hitch I'd be willing to purchase for my next 5th wheel would be the Goosebox. It's the only non conventional 5th wheel goose type hitch approved by Lippert & leaves nothing in the bed but the removable ball which weighs about 33lbs less than the Anderson hitch.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1780 View Post
I didn’t about the different thicknesses and I just bought a spare. I did notice their was more Teflon shaving in the truck bed. I just got it out of service for warranty work and the dealership took off the Teflon plate and I had to put it back on again. I’ll be looking for another player, thank you
The Reese hitch is the same model I have, chock the trailer wheels drop the landing gear and take most of the weight off the hitch, do NOT lift off the hitch!
Put the truck in reverse and let it back into the hitch, then SET the parking brake! Hitch should release with a gentle tug.

Also put some grease on the recessed area of the pin. If there is forward pressure on the Hitch the pressure of the pin against the jaws will make them nearly impossible to open.

I once forgot to flip the locking latch over the release handle, and proceeded to tow our 5er over 20 miles and the jaws stayed shut!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #25
Greg1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The Reese hitch is the same model I have, chock the trailer wheels drop the landing gear and take most of the weight off the hitch, do NOT lift off the hitch!
Put the truck in reverse and let it back into the hitch, then SET the parking brake! Hitch should release with a gentle tug.

Also put some grease on the recessed area of the pin. If there is forward pressure on the Hitch the pressure of the pin against the jaws will make them nearly impossible to open.

I once forgot to flip the locking latch over the release handle, and proceeded to tow our 5er over 20 miles and the jaws stayed shut!
I will try this tomorrow, however their is a small pitch where the trailer is being stored. I have a lot of ideas to try tomorrow because we are leaving Michigan the middle of December for Florida and I don’t need problems.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:36 PM   #26
jasin1

I have the same hitch..kinda got used to it so don’t want to upgrade right now

It works great for me..I drop front landing gear and raise the fiver just till it raises off the hitch plate..maybe 1/8” …. it will not release if it’s all the way down or if it’s raised too high….I do use a Teflon plate ..I don’t use the truck emergency brake while unhitching ,I just chock the trailer wheels.. that lets the truck and the fifth wheel have about a 1/2 “ of play while unlatching for me

How easy does it operate when the fifth wheel is not attached?…you can pull the large pivot pin that holds the top of the hitch to the legs and turn it upside down and maybe be able to accesss the internals easier.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I have the same hitch..kinda got used to it so don’t want to upgrade right now

It works great for me..I drop front landing gear and raise the fiver just till it raises off the hitch plate..maybe 1/8” …. it will not release if it’s all the way down or if it’s raised too high….I do use a Teflon plate ..I don’t use the truck emergency brake while unhitching ,I just chock the trailer wheels.. that lets the truck and the fifth wheel have about a 1/2 “ of play while unlatching for me

How easy does it operate when the fifth wheel is not attached?…you can pull the large pivot pin that holds the top of the hitch to the legs and turn it upside down and maybe be able to accesss the internals easier.
Jason, I respectfully disagree with lifting off the hitch as necessary and setting of parking brake as unnecessary.

The important thing is the TV can NOT be exerting a push backwards on the hitch, as this force forces the jaws shut.

ON EDIT: I am including a picture that helps explain how having a pulling force on the jaws make it extremely hard if not impossible to pull the release handle. The pulling force (Red Arrow) forces the jaws shut due to the placement of the jaw pivot points. As I stated before, I pulled our 5er over twenty miles with the release handle unlatched. The hitch didn't open because a pulling force force the jaws shut. If you back into the 5er then just place trans in Park, it can roll forward enough to prevent the jaws from opening.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #28
Greg1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Kitty View Post
We have a Pullrite slider hitch it requires (according to the manual)

* the truck and trailer must be within 10 degrees to hitch/unhitch
* when Unhitching, rear chalks must be in place and gently back into them to take pressure off the jaws
* do not raise the trailer too high as the bottom of the pin can catch on the retainer catch and bind it. (We watch for just a bit of light between the base and the trailer plate then stop and roll the truck)

We have experienced all the problems you mentioned and we had to work them out like you are…. Hope this helps
I think I’ve attached some photos of the hitch and where their is a burr that might half to be removed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF707BEB-C086-4AA4-A134-CA9BEDD4A465.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	36923   Click image for larger version

Name:	02D00AD5-BBF9-4301-B58D-D4C328A31EE5.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	36924  
Old 11-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #29
SD Kitty

This looks like a different jaws arrangement from my Pullrite, but the burr looks to me like it is on the actuator that releases the retaining capture ring. I wouldn’t think it would be in play while unhitching the rig…. Just my .02$ worth tho.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:52 PM   #30
Greg1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Kitty View Post
This looks like a different jaws arrangement from my Pullrite, but the burr looks to me like it is on the actuator that releases the retaining capture ring. I wouldn’t think it would be in play while unhitching the rig…. Just my .02$ worth tho.
I’m taking the truck to the RV dealership Monday and get their opinion on the hitch. The king pin looks fine but the Teflon disc is gouged up on both sides in the same place. Thinking it’s time for a hitch upgrade.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #31
SD Kitty

Reasonable thought……
Old 11-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #32
Greg1780

I want to thank everyone for their input. I did exactly what these people said to do ‘slowly’ and the 5th Wheel Release Arm worked PERFECTLY.
Thank you everyone, your expertise sure helped.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #33
jasin1

[QUOTE=rhagfo;475611]Jason, I respectfully disagree with lifting off the hitch as necessary and setting of parking brake as unnecessary.

The important thing is the TV can NOT be exerting a push backwards on the hitch, as this force forces the jaws shut.

ON EDIT: I am including a picture that helps explain how having a pulling force on the jaws make it extremely hard if not impossible to pull the release handle. The pulling force (Red Arrow) forces the jaws shut due to the placement of the jaw pivot points. As I stated before, I pulled our 5er over twenty miles with the release handle unlatched. The hitch didn't open because a pulling force force the jaws shut. If you back into the 5er then just place trans in Park, it can roll forward enough to prevent the jaws from opening.[quote]

Your probably right about the emergency brake with the fifth wheel..I guess im going by what I do with all my other trailers I have..it’s much easier to hook up if the truck and trailer have a little play in them…maybe I just carried that over with the fiver…. I do still raise it though…possibly it’s just something with my hitch but I’ve tried to release it and it wouldn’t budge and i lift it just a little and it opens easy as can be

Also I thought it’s a good thing to take some weight off the truck and make sure the landing gear is secure and the the ground is stable before I just lock the landing gear and pull out and hope it doesn’t drop.
My way worked for me so I didn’t really look for other ways that might work but you and most of the people on here have a lot more experience than I do with rv’s so I don’t doubt your knowledge

Tags
5th wheel