Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #21
rlh1957

You won’t feel anything get hot if electric heating element is on for 10 minutes without sufficient water… it will already have burned up before breaker even had excessive amps on it.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #22
rlh1957

Photo #1 check the gas regulator and tube going into heater. Look behind that regulator down low, there is an on/off switch for the electric. If it’s off the electric can’t come on. It is basically a double safety to keep someone inside from inadvertently turning AC power on to an empty tank.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:22 AM   #23
nitrohorse

You might want to wait on pulling the anode and reinstalling it until you replace the electric heating element. It will save you having to drain the water heater tank twice. Also, use plumber's dope and teflon tape.
2013 Jayco 26RLS
1996 Sunline 21' TT
1977 StarCraft Galaxy 8 pop-up
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:38 AM   #24
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresslerd View Post
Since both heating methods are not working try simple stuff first. Replace the two thermostats on the back of the water heater. Next easy step is the control module. Both are easy to do. If not this you need to check the wiring which requires electrical knowledge…..good luck
With the lack of water in the tank probably explaining the problems with the lack of hot water, the only thing that is probably burned out is the electric heating element and maybe the switch on the tank for the electric element.

Either have it repaired now(with probably a long wait time), or just use propane for the water heater to get you through this season. If the OP is handy enough to do the repairs, then it's not a hard job. Either that or wait until the repair shops slow down some in the late fall/winter and have it fixed then.

IMHO, go enjoy the season and work on this later!

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Until we hear back I'm under the assumption the tank was empty thus no hot water from any source. With that resolved I'm figuring propane will work. My electric side died last fall and we ran all winter on propane alone because I wanted warranty to pull and repair the water heater. Whether the element or possibly the switch they are both easy to replace and probably both in stock in a home improvement store (element) or RV parts store (switch - if Suburban).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #26
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Until we hear back I'm under the assumption the tank was empty thus no hot water from any source. With that resolved I'm figuring propane will work. My electric side died last fall and we ran all winter on propane alone because I wanted warranty to pull and repair the water heater. Whether the element or possibly the switch they are both easy to replace and probably both in stock in a home improvement store (element) or RV parts store (switch - if Suburban).

Danny, I assume you have the Suburban water heater as I do. A few weeks ago ours stopped working on propane...igniter wouldn't fire. We've been using it on electric. I did contact Suburban and they said that they would supply parts and pay labor to repair but would require a certified repair facility to assess and report. That assessment won't happen until September...soonest I can get an appointment.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Danny, I assume you have the Suburban water heater as I do. A few weeks ago ours stopped working on propane...igniter wouldn't fire. We've been using it on electric. I did contact Suburban and they said that they would supply parts and pay labor to repair but would require a certified repair facility to assess and report. That assessment won't happen until September...soonest I can get an appointment.
It doesn't have to be an RV service center. Suburban has a listing of "approved service centers" many of which are independent repair shops, some not even remotely associated with the RV community. Boats, cabins, mobile homes all use Suburban water heaters and furnaces. Any of those "approved repair facilities" can do warranty work and many have an "open door policy" that's much more available than an RV dealership that's too busy to help their customers.....

Take a look at your water heater owner's manual or contact Suburban for a listing of repair centers in your area... You might just be pleasantly surprised at what you find.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #28
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It doesn't have to be an RV service center. Suburban has a listing of "approved service centers" many of which are independent repair shops, some not even remotely associated with the RV community. Boats, cabins, mobile homes all use Suburban water heaters and furnaces. Any of those "approved repair facilities" can do warranty work and many have an "open door policy" that's much more available than an RV dealership that's too busy to help their customers.....

Take a look at your water heater owner's manual or contact Suburban for a listing of repair centers in your area... You might just be pleasantly surprised at what you find.....
Thanks, John, great suggestion. As it happens we have several trips planned for the next couple months and are already scheduled in September with our dealer for adding an AC unit. I asked them to assess the water heater as well at that time.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, outback, water, water heater