Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Learning as I go...

Last week we moved out of the house and into the RV for 3 weeks while inbetween houses and duty stations with the kids and dogs and just about everything we own that the movers didn’t box up. Lessons learned so far:

New Ram 3500 DRW is an amazing truck. Still getting used to how the Aisin shifts vs my old Allison, but it’s a hawse. Has auto load leveling which is helpful when towing, but you must remember to hit the “alt trailer height” button so it doesn’t keep inflating the airbags while you try to unhitch in a thunderstorm.

Level trailer today doesn’t mean level trailer after a week. Park we are in has gravel and grass pads. Nice for dogs, bad for trailers after weeks of monsoon type rain. Now the tip out side is sinking so tomorrow I add another block. Which means bring in slides, hook up, crank up jacks, back up, put more blocks down, etc. etc etc.

Why in Gods name does the stupid LP/CO alarm only go off once every other day at 0200 hrs (2 a.m.)??? I am going to rip it out of the bleeping wall if it does it again. 5 beeps and done. Ive tried cleaning it, I’ve looked and soaped and smelled for leaks, it’s a 2020 for crying out loud!! Nothing should be wrong with it!

I digress, it’s not all bad. And most people don’t move out of their home when taking the RV out so not as stressful. Unless of course it is your home.

Kids and dogs are loving it, park amenities and location and staff are great. And it is nice to sip my bourbon out of a yeti in a reclining lawn chair as I type this. Any other temporary full timers chime in on what else I can expect!

Happy Memorial Day Y’all. All gave some, some gave all. May they rest in God’s eternal peace. They’ve served their time in hell.
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Happy Memorial Day to you as well Bryan. If you have checked everything else on that detector and there's nothing wrong you might (I know it's almost new) look at replacing it. If it is irritating you badly and taking it to a dealer (if it's in warranty) is out of the question since you have moved into it, just replace it...they don't cost much...and you would be much happier.

When in monsoon weather for a period of time your jacks will sink and you have to "relevel". Not a big deal but a regular routine in that kind of weather.

An RV is not a sticks and bricks home and requires some attention....seemingly constantly. It's OK. As you mentioned, everyone is having a good time; just take the little irritations, deal with them and concentrate on the good stuff (DW has spent decades trying to teach me that). Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:13 AM   #3
Javi

That alarm will go off for three reasons... low battery, gas leak or malfunction

If you've checked the battery and it's charged and you've eliminated the propane leak or CO then that leaves malfunction.

Quick annd inexpensive fix is order on Amazon and replace... takes maybe 10 minutes
Old 06-01-2021, 03:53 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

There is a fourth reason that we discovered years ago. We had one dog that for whatever reason would end up on the floor in front of the detector in the middle of the night. He was a gassy dog when he ate certian table foods and it took a few "what the hell?" middle of the night moments to correlate what was happening. A closer control of his diet solved the issue for us.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:45 AM   #5
CedarCreekWoody

Flybouy it might be time to get a new dog! Lol
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:46 AM   #6
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There is a fourth reason that we discovered years ago. We had one dog that for whatever reason would end up on the floor in front of the detector in the middle of the night. He was a gassy dog when he ate certian table foods and it took a few "what the hell?" middle of the night moments to correlate what was happening. A closer control of his diet solved the issue for us.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Think I figured it out..

So we got the trailer re-leveled today and noticed a little water seepage coming from under the cabinet between the big slide out and little slide out. At first, I chalked it up to the slides being wet from all the rain (had to pull them in to re-level). But when it came back, I took the bottom panel of the cabinet off and discovered the plastic fitting on the main water line coming from outside was just loose enough to drip 3 or 4 times a minute. Tightened it back, cleaned up, and stuck a fan in there for hours while we ran errands. Problem solved.

We didn’t notice before because the water was dripping back outside the trailer on the main water line since that was the sinking side. But definitely a mildew smell under the cabinet at first.

And where do y’all think that LP/CO monitor is?? Yep, about 4 inches from the once mildewy cabinet. No more alarms since. Just grateful that it wasn’t actually dangerous gases.

Also fully caulked our bathtub and outdoor kitchen. One day at a time!
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote