Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
PaulHasher

Question 2 Issues in the Kitchen

I have a 2017 Passport 199ML. On a recent trip the refrigerator quit working. The little light at the top where you can switch between gas and electric or automatic does not come on in any position. I have checked all of the fuses and breakers and they are all good. The refrigerator was working when we left on the trip and it quit about 2 days in.

My 2nd issue is that we can't get the inside stove to work at all. It seems to have no gas flow even though there is plenty in the tanks and the outside stove which is further down the gas line from the tanks works fine.

Any ideas of what to look into on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much,
PaulHasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like a 12VDC supply issue. You say you've checked all the fuses and circuit breakers... Does that include the 3amp and 5 amp "glass cartridge fuses" on the refrigerator control board?

Your indication "none of the lights come on in any switch position" tells me the 3 amp fuse on the control board is blown, preventing primary power from the trailer to the refrigerator from getting to the switch.....

Go outside, remove the lower refrigerator vent, unplug the 120 VAC plug that's located there. Then, in the lower left hand corner of the refrigerator you'll find a black plastic cover. Remove that cover and you'll see the control board. There are two fuses on that board. One of them is probably your issue. Replace it, reinstall the black plastic cover, plug in the refrigerator, reinstall the vent hatch cover and go inside to check the refrigerator. Chances are very good that the light will come on when you push the switch.

The stove problem, if there is gas flow further down the gas pipe, is either a bent/blocked gas tube or air in the line. Sometimes there's a "minute or more" of air flow before all the air is purged from the gas tubing. As a note, you should hear "hissing" at the stovetop burner even if it's only air flowing through the lines. If you do hear "hissing" it's just a matter of clearing the air from the line. If you do not hear "hissing" then I'd look for a bent/stopped up copper tube, probably under the trailer directly beneath the stove.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

The fridge problem could be a thermal fuse, also on the back of the fridge. I explain it in post #11 of this thread:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=Thermal+fuse
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
PaulHasher

I found and checked the fuses at the back of the refrigerator and they are good.

I don't get any hissing sound at the stove when I turn on a burner. I haven't crawled under yet to check the pipes.
thanks
Old 05-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
PaulHasher

I've looked for the thermal fuse but can't find it. There's 2 red wires that go into a black sleeve and are held in place by a bracket sort of behind a vertical tube looking sheet metal shield. Could it be in one of those?
Thanks
Old 05-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHasher View Post
I've looked for the thermal fuse but can't find it. There's 2 red wires that go into a black sleeve and are held in place by a bracket sort of behind a vertical tube looking sheet metal shield. Could it be in one of those?
Thanks
Yes that is it inside the sleeve. Check for 12 volts on both sides of it.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #7
PaulHasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Yes that is it inside the sleeve. Check for 12 volts on both sides of it.
Thanks for the response. I had cataract surgery today. I'll check it in a few days when I can see better and it quits raining. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

Ouch! I hope your surgery is a success. If the thermal fuse is the issue they are very inexpensive and available from Amazon. Let me know if you have questions.
Andersen hitch
Old 06-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #9
PaulHasher

Just to be sure.

Just to be sure. On the vertical sheet metal tube there's a thing sticking out the side of it with 2 red wires going to it. Is that thing the fuse? I tried to add a picture but couldn't figure out how.

Thanks Much,
Old 06-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

The thermal fuse is the thing inside the mesh sleeve, on one of those wires. Check for 12 volts on both sides of it.
Andersen hitch
Old 06-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #11
PaulHasher

Found the Thermal Fuse

The 2 red wires was really one wire that went in and doubled back on itself. It had a sliding black sleeve on it that easily revealed the fuse. Unfortunately, there's 12V on both ends of the fuse. To recap, all fuses in the main panel of the TT are good. The two glass fuses in the back of the fridge are good and the thermal fuse has 12V at both ends. Any more ideas?

Could it possibly have anything to do with the thing sticking out of the vertical sheet metal tube? See the attached picture.

Thanks Much,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT-refridgewires_2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	33931  
Old 06-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

I've heard it described as a fuse but I really don't know. Is power flowing through it it one side only. Sorry I don't know more.
Andersen hitch
Old 06-05-2021, 05:14 PM   #13
PaulHasher

The Fridge Now Works

I finally got the fridge to work. First I took the wires off of the beige thing on the side of the gas exhaust. Then I checked to make sure that I had 12V and the end if the wire coming from the thermal fuse (there was). Next I used an ohm meter to see if there was a good circuit through the beige thing (there wasn't). I removed the beige thing from the fridge and took it into the garage to play around with it. I messed with the little black knob between the wire connection points and then checked with the ohm meter again (a good circuit this time ). I put it all back together and the gas came on for the fridge immediately. I went inside the TT and the light for the fridge control was lit. I turned it off at that switch and then went back out and plugged in the 110V. I went in and turned the fridge back on in auto mode and it worked. A couple of hours later the fridge and freezer were both nice and cold. I really don't know what I did other than maybe cleaning some corosion off of the leads to the beige thing and I have no idea what it really does.

Now to figure out the stove.

Thanks much for all of the help with where to look for things and how to check them.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

Glad you got it running. Now you know things to check things if you have trouble in the future.

Edit: the troubleshooting manual describes that part as "thermofuse".
Andersen hitch
Old 06-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #15
Javi

Basically it is a thermal safety fuse, the little black button is the reset.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #16
mrpinky

Sounds like you fixed it, but it was reminiscent of a problem we had in our rig that might be helpful to you or others. In our case: fridge didn’t work on a long drive. We arrived at the campground with spoiled food. Took it in to dealer under warranty: they could find nothing wrong. Next long drive..spoiled food again! But after arriving at the campsite, eventually things cool back down. Next long drive..we stopped frequently to check fridge temp and noticed the “check” light on..it wasn’t getting gas… also checked stove and found no gas.

In our case, kitchen is on a slide and the issue was that when the slide was in, the flexible hose for the fridge/stove supply was getting kinked. Dealer had diagnosed the fridge as working while the slide was open :-)

Easy solution was just to re-work the way the hose coiled as the slide closes..no issues since.
mrpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #17
Rdynbama

Mrpinky I’m glad a read this post today . Last week we loaded up the Raptor with motorcycle and accessories to get it weighed for upcoming trip and the fridge worked fine when we left. When we returned (60 mile round trip)we noticed the fridge had stopped cooling. It is also on a slide and now I have an idea of what to look for.

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote