Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2021, 02:46 AM   #1
John3Dtraveler

Question Power to backup camera Impact 367

I have a 2021 F350 and a 5th wheel RV trailer. I've installed a backup camera on the RV. There were three wires (red, white, yellow) and (2) choices for wiring to the factory trailer "prep" for the camera, (1) 'always on' (red/white) even with the trailer disconnected from the truck since the power wire provided was a hot wire from the RV battery and (2) camera on when the truck is in reverse (yellow/white).

Option #1 - I liked the first option because I could monitor vehicle traffic behind me while driving and of course I could see when I backed the trailer. The only draw back was that the camera was always on and to eliminate the electrical draw of the camera when the trailer was disconnected from the truck and not connected to land power I would have to use the trailers battery disconnect when parked. This was a hassle.

Option #2 - This is the option I chose. Connect the cameras power to the yellow "accessory" wire available with the trailer prep for the camera. I determined that this yellow wire is the center pin of the 7 pin connector and transmits power only when the truck is in reverse. I like using that wire because it's already ran from the trailers plug in the front all the way back to the camera location above the door of the "garage" in the toy hauler. The only thing I don't like is that I only get camera viewing when in reverse and backing up.*

Solution: I want to run a power wire from one of the upfitter switches to the center pin of the 7 pin connector.

I would appreciate any input on using/connecting upfitter switches and/or the proper way to replace the center wire of the 7 pin connector at the female connection in the truck bed.*I'm sure this is probably a simple task but I'm leery of hacking into my factory wiring only three days after purchasing the truck. I assume I would locate the upfitter switch fuse box under the hood and run a wire from there back to the location of the 7 pin connector then use a "pin tool" to remove the current wire from the center pin and replace it with my hot wire from the upfitter switch.
John3Dtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:55 AM   #2
JDDilly

Another option, locate the junction box on the trailer that the umbilical cord goes into. Determine which wire goes to the backup camera from the reverse lights and connect that to the wires feeding your marker/tail lights and connect together. Your camera will now be powered when your lights are on, that is the way many trailers are wired from the factory.

I hope I explained this well enough. Sometimes my ideas make sence too me but not so much to others.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

"Solution: I want to run a power wire from one of the upfitter switches to the center pin of the 7 pin connector."

That will work BUT every time you flip that switch your back up lights on the truck and trailer will come on, as well as the back up camera on the truck. Don't know if that would effect the truck's computer but for that reason I wouldn't do it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I think "long and hard" about trying this. There's a heck of a lot more than "camera power and backup lights" that are affected. You also have the issues with anti-sway and anti-skid systems that are disabled when the truck is in reverse. Depending on where the computer systems obtains the transmission status, you could be disabling all (or many/most) of your electronic safety systems. It could go as far (if I remember correctly) that the air bag systems are disabled when the truck is in reverse. So putting power "on the reverse power wire" may backfeed to the computer and cause all sorts of "disconnects of vital systems".

So, don't go "tapping into the 7 pin umbilical" without doing your "due diligence" or you might wind up with a truck that won't go into tow/haul, won't shift out of the lower few gears, won't protect you from a skid or a side impact and won't stop "dinging the bells" because the trailer is too close behind the truck..... On my truck, the "center stack screen" is the rear camera screen (when in reverse) and all other "center stack functions" are disabled. Clipping that wire might mean that when you turn on the upfitter switch, you can't adjust the heat/AC or turn up the volume on the radio either....

On some 2021 trucks, with the upgraded towing options, the trailer rear camera is routed to the center screen, on others it's routed to half of the mirror rear view mirror. Depending on the options on YOUR truck, you might wind up with a disabled or partially disabled "in cab system" while powering an aftermarket camera on a system that will shut down to protect itself because of the self monitoring systems.... Computers are "funny that way"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power