Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2021, 05:33 AM   #1
dwdlt

Lessons Learned on AC Install?

Good morning All,

I'm going to be installing a second AC on my travel trailer this weekend, and I wanted to reach out to the experts on here to see if you have any specific things I need to watch for?

I have a 2016 Laredo 314RE, it is prewired for the second AC in the bedroom, does have 50 am service that I use often, and the AC unit I bought was the Dometic Brisk Air II, 15k unit.

I did a search on this forum and found a bunch of post about AC units, but none specific enough to provide any detailed "gotcha's" to watch out for.

Any advice provided would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dale
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Does your unit have in command? Did you buy a ducted or non ducted AC? Thermostat controlled or plenum controlled?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:58 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdlt View Post
Good morning All,

I'm going to be installing a second AC on my travel trailer this weekend, and I wanted to reach out to the experts on here to see if you have any specific things I need to watch for?

I have a 2016 Laredo 314RE, it is prewired for the second AC in the bedroom, does have 50 am service that I use often, and the AC unit I bought was the Dometic Brisk Air II, 15k unit.

I did a search on this forum and found a bunch of post about AC units, but none specific enough to provide any detailed "gotcha's" to watch out for.

Thanks

Dale
Be careful getting it on the roof!

After mulling over various 'plans' I ended up putting the boxed unit in the bed of the truck and parked the truck alongside the trailer. I then stood a ladder up in the truck bed to the trailer at a pretty good angle and pushed the unit ahead of me to the roof to a waiting helper.

Using the truck bed cut several feet off the trip up and I could also use the bed rail as an intermediate point to set the box while I got into position.

Other than that, our install was pretty painless. About 2-1/2 hours start to finish including getting it talking to our InCommand system.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Does your unit have in command? Did you buy a ducted or non ducted AC? Thermostat controlled or plenum controlled?
It's non-ducted and plenum controlled. No in-command
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 04-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #5
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Be careful getting it on the roof!

After mulling over various 'plans' I ended up putting the boxed unit in the bed of the truck and parked the truck alongside the trailer. I then stood a ladder up in the truck bed to the trailer at a pretty good angle and pushed the unit ahead of me to the roof to a waiting helper.

Using the truck bed cut several feet off the trip up and I could also use the bed rail as an intermediate point to set the box while I got into position.

Other than that, our install was pretty painless. About 2-1/2 hours start to finish including getting it talking to our InCommand system.
I'm seeing that will be a challenge. Thanks for the note
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 04-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

First and foremast plan out your moves have what you need ready and COMMUNICATE clearly with your helper what your plans and moves are. Don't assume that they will "know where you are going" or" which way you will turn" when you get up there. I would place some protection on the roof before lugging an a/c unit over it. Some plywood (corners rounded anmd a moving blanket under it) so if you have to set it down you don't cut/puncture the roof membrane. Try to prepare or the "oh crap" moment ahead of time.
Good luck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #7
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
First and foremast plan out your moves have what you need ready and COMMUNICATE clearly with your helper what your plans and moves are. Don't assume that they will "know where you are going" or" which way you will turn" when you get up there. I would place some protection on the roof before lugging an a/c unit over it. Some plywood (corners rounded anmd a moving blanket under it) so if you have to set it down you don't cut/puncture the roof membrane. Try to prepare or the "oh crap" moment ahead of time.
Good luck.
Yep, thanks. That is sound advice. I have precut some cardboard to laydown on the roof. Going to put a blanket under it as well. I think damaging the roof is my biggest fear. I have a hoist setup in my pole barn as well, so I'm studying that and looking at lifting the AC up using the hoist first, and then backing the trailer underneath of it....Yea, "what could go wrong there" LOL. As crazy as that sounds, I believe it'll work. I'll try to take a pic or two and post it here
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 04-23-2021, 07:07 AM   #8
Kojac

The biggest problem I had was taking the vent off, it took up the most time. Lifted the AC up with bucket on tractor, and my DW helped with install, it took about 2 hrs total. Key is to take all the time you need!!
20K Reese Goosebox
Kojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yep, thanks. That is sound advice. I have precut some cardboard to laydown on the roof. Going to put a blanket under it as well. I think damaging the roof is my biggest fear. I have a hoist setup in my pole barn as well, so I'm studying that and looking at lifting the AC up using the hoist first, and then backing the trailer underneath of it....Yea, "what could go wrong there" LOL. As crazy as that sounds, I believe it'll work. I'll try to take a pic or two and post it here
If I had a pole barn and knew the rafter would support the unit on a hoist that's exactly what I would do.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

When you get the vent off, try to remove as much Dicor and putty/butyl tape as possible, That way the gasket will fit on a flat surface. When you tighten the 4 screws that hold the AC in place you want to compress the gasket to about 1/2 it’s original thickness and tighten the bolts in stages.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #11
B-O-B'03

My son and I replaced the existing 15K AC on our trailer.

We used a ladder to slide the new unit up and the old unit down.

I also laid some 3/8" 2' X 4' plywood down, with towels under them to support my weight while on the roof.

It was a fairly easy job, with just the 2 of us.

-Brian
Old 04-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Using plywood or OSB is IMHO better than using a side from a cardboard box to lay the air conditioner on. There are some "sharp things" around the 14" opening and a cardboard box may not provide all the protection needed. A sheet of plywood or OSB with a towel/moving blanket under it is much harder for that sharp corner to cut through... If it happens to cut through, there's nothing between the "sharp and your TPO roof".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:39 AM   #13
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When you get the vent off, try to remove as much Dicor and putty/butyl tape as possible, That way the gasket will fit on a flat surface. When you tighten the 4 screws that hold the AC in place you want to compress the gasket to about 1/2 it’s original thickness and tighten the bolts in stages.
Good info! Thank you Sir.
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 04-26-2021, 02:42 AM   #14
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Using plywood or OSB is IMHO better than using a side from a cardboard box to lay the air conditioner on. There are some "sharp things" around the 14" opening and a cardboard box may not provide all the protection needed. A sheet of plywood or OSB with a towel/moving blanket under it is much harder for that sharp corner to cut through... If it happens to cut through, there's nothing between the "sharp and your TPO roof".....
Good point. After looking at the new AC unit, I can certainly see the sharp parts you are referring to. Will definitely use a piece OSB over top of a blanket. Thanks
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 AM   #15
xrated

I don't have any pictures of this, but I hung a 4 sheave rope hoist in the aluminum tubing using a 3/8" eye bolt.....of my RV Carport....up in the eave of the support truss. I then used a piece of OSB 1/2" thick wood to set the unit on and tied 4 pieces of rope to it, one on each corner, use a bowline knot that I knew would not come loose. I then hoisted the unit up as far as I could get it (a short hook up was necessary) and tied the end of the rope off to keep it there. Then I backed the trailer under the hanging unit and lowered it down on top of the trailer. It worked perfectly and saved my old back a lot of strain. Work smarter, not harder is my motto!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #16
goldtrigger

2d AC

Check the wiring before you get the AC up there. I thought mine was hot and ready for the AC and it was not. Make sure the connectors are correct between the AC and the wiring in the camper. I had to trace back to the fuse panel and put in a new breaker.

2011 Montana Mountaineer
goldtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #17
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtrigger View Post
Check the wiring before you get the AC up there. I thought mine was hot and ready for the AC and it was not. Make sure the connectors are correct between the AC and the wiring in the camper. I had to trace back to the fuse panel and put in a new breaker.

2011 Montana Mountaineer
Excellent point. "Pre-wired" doesn't necessarily mean the breaker will be installed and the wires connected in your WFCO power center. If you have to add these, I recommend you run the new AC unit on the "opposite side" of your 50A service. You may need to move some breakers and wires from side to side to accomplish this. But it is good to try to balance the load on each side of your 50A service. Well worth all the work!

Good luck.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #18
Bandit12

Quote:
Good morning All,

Thanks

Dale
I see you are USAF retired, as am I. When I was active duty I was a jet engine mechanic, or as the AF called it "Aerospace Propulsion Craftsman". Whenever I had to go to the doctor for anything, I'd tell the doc, I won't tell you how to fix people as long as you don't tell me how to fix airplanes and we'll get along fine. That has served me well for over 40 years now. While I'm probably technically competent enough to do this type of install myself, I'd feel better paying someone qualified to do the job and know its done correctly and if I have any issues, I'd have warranty recourse.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #19
Farside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I see you are USAF retired, as am I. When I was active duty I was a jet engine mechanic, or as the AF called it "Aerospace Propulsion Craftsman". Whenever I had to go to the doctor for anything, I'd tell the doc, I won't tell you how to fix people as long as you don't tell me how to fix airplanes and we'll get along fine. That has served me well for over 40 years now. While I'm probably technically competent enough to do this type of install myself, I'd feel better paying someone qualified to do the job and know its done correctly and if I have any issues, I'd have warranty recourse.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Bandit, Thanks for your service. I too am USAF retired, aerial surveillance maintenance technician, and 25 years DoD. I've worked on a lot of black box stuff. And, I will agree with your philosophy about not having someone tell me how to fix my stuff. One thing I have learned out in the civilian world, paying someone that is supposedly qualified to do the job doesn't always guarantee it will actually be installed the way you had planned. Just look at how some of the manufacturers installed some of the items in your TT from the factory. Many a times I have gone back and redone stuff that should have been installed better.
Farside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:48 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farside View Post
Bandit, Thanks for your service. I too am USAF retired, aerial surveillance maintenance technician, and 25 years DoD. I've worked on a lot of black box stuff. And, I will agree with your philosophy about not having someone tell me how to fix my stuff. One thing I have learned out in the civilian world, paying someone that is supposedly qualified to do the job doesn't always guarantee it will actually be installed the way you had planned. Just look at how some of the manufacturers installed some of the items in your TT from the factory. Many a times I have gone back and redone stuff that should have been installed better.
The "pitfall" of many people who rely on an RV dealer or on an auto service center is assuming that every technician in the back is competent at every job that business takes on.... Those businesses "will have someone certified to do the job you hire them to do"... The issue comes in when that technician is busy doing another job and the service manager, trying to keep everybody busy, assigns someone who has never done that job and has only a general idea of what to do... That's where any business can get in trouble, assigning someone who has no clue to do a job "ON YOUR TRAILER"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote