Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

AM all static

Just bought a replacement stereo for the ol' Cougar. The original RCA CD player didn't so I bought a Sharp unit which is almost identical in size to the original and got it installed this afternoon.

There is an antenna with obviously an AM and FM section. One is a round thing that you tack up to something (that is what I did on the side of the stereo enclosure ) and a long wire. FM works great. I am guessing the long wire is the AM. When listening to ANY AM station there is electronic interference to where the station is almost inaudible. The power for the stereo is plugged in well away from the wire. I pulled the wire out and moved it around and still the interference.

By the way, I had asked some time ago how the old stereo was fastened. Thought it was glued but in fact they just drove a couple of Roberts head screws (same as used everywhere else) up through the bottom of the shelf into the outside of the stereo chassis.

Any ideas/tips? Like to listen to AM radio (I grew up on it and my favorite stations are AM).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just bought a replacement stereo for the ol' Cougar. The original RCA CD player didn't so I bought a Sharp unit which is almost identical in size to the original and got it installed this afternoon.

There is an antenna with obviously an AM and FM section. One is a round thing that you tack up to something (that is what I did on the side of the stereo enclosure ) and a long wire. FM works great. I am guessing the long wire is the AM. When listening to ANY AM station there is electronic interference to where the station is almost inaudible. The power for the stereo is plugged in well away from the wire. I pulled the wire out and moved it around and still the interference.

Any ideas/tips? Like to listen to AM radio (I grew up on it and my favorite stations are AM).
Do you think you may be getting interference from the converter? If it’s a 120 volt stereo I would run an extension cord into the rv separate from the onboard power supply from pedestal.I would shut off all the power to the rv and just have the extension cord to see if it still picks up interference ..if it’s a 12 volt stereo I would look at the ground and may need a noise filter. ( think that’s what they are called) I had a dodge sprinter that had a bad ground to radio and AM did the same thing...also I think the round antenna is the am and the long wire should be fm. Forgive me if I misunderstood
Old 01-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Do you think you may be getting interference from the converter? If it’s a 120 volt stereo I would run an extension cord into the rv separate from the onboard power supply from pedestal.I would shut off all the power to the rv and just have the extension cord to see if it still picks up interference ..if it’s a 12 volt stereo I would look at the ground and may need a noise filter. ( think that’s what they are called) I had a dodge sprinter that had a bad ground to radio and AM did the same thing...also I think the round antenna is the am and the long wire should be fm. Forgive me if I misunderstood

You could be right about the antenna. Not sure if the round thing is AM or FM...just guessing. The converter is quite aways from the stereo. The converter is on the back wall of the camper and the stereo on the front wall of the cabin. If that round thing is the AM, may try moving it; I screwed it to the side wall of the enclosure.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
You could be right about the antenna. Not sure if the round thing is AM or FM...just guessing. The converter is quite aways from the stereo. The converter is on the back wall of the camper and the stereo on the front wall of the cabin. If that round thing is the AM, may try moving it; I screwed it to the side wall of the enclosure.
I would maybe mount the round AM one so you can spin it to get best reception when your at different campgrounds. I think they are directional. I know fluorescent lites can cause interference also but you probably don’t have one in your rv. In my dodge sprinter I could hear the alternator interference when I accelerated
Old 01-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

ChuckS explained the interference fairly well in post #10 is this thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=Interference

And TheGriz provided an Amazon link to buy them in post #12.

While they were addressing LED voltage regulator interference in those posts, the RFI is RFI regardless of where it originates. AM radio reception has always been subject to RFI. Back before solid state radios (when the old car radios had vacuum tubes and "buzzed when it was turned on") most AM reception always had interference. That was one of the reasons why the FM band became popular. AM band has the best long range reception but poor broadcast quality while FM has much better resistance to interference, but a shorter broadcast range....

Anyway, check out those links, I think they will answer your questions and provide a source to obtain the parts to stop the "buzz".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
ChuckS

Your probably gonna find that wit( that inside AM antenna you will receive almost nothing due to RFI hash from two items..

.. converter RFI
.. LED lighting RFI from the fixtures regulator

If you try an isolated power source to that new radio with shore power removed from RV then you’ll know for sure...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:

By the way, I had asked some time ago how the old stereo was fastened. Thought it was glued but in fact they just drove a couple of Roberts head screws (same as used everywhere else) up through the bottom of the shelf into the outside of the stereo chassis.

How did it turn out? I’m emotionally invested in the problem/diagnosis lol I’m one of those people that need to find out what was wrong. Did you get a chance to isolate the interference?
Old 05-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
DaveAlb

Smile Very similar AM Static Issue

Just got a newer 2021 Cougar 22RBS and love AM radio. I have a Furrion radio/cd/dvd player. I have the Winegard Air 360+v2.s antenna. My am reception is not strong and full of static. Turning the lights off helps a little. Disconnecting from shore power helps a lot more. Signal is weaker than it should be, especially in the lead frequency range, 570 or so. So, I think I am suffering from low signal strength and static. Your thoughts please.😀
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

If I remember correctly, the 360 has an FM antenna function but not an AM antenna function. On past model AM/FM receivers, there was (is) a connection on the rear of the unit for an AM antenna to plug into the system. On some, there was a "short wire antenna" coiled up behind the radio. On other models, that antenna was "uncoiled and strung around the cabinet space" and on others, the radio was connected to an external AM antenna, mounted on the outside wall of the trailer.

I believe your trailer has the "KEYTV" automatic switching system in it. That system "interfaces with the 360 that is mounted on the roof". There is no AM antenna connection either in the 360 or in the KEYTV switch. So, essentially, if you don't have a separate antenna plugged into the back of the radio, there is no AM antenna connected.

I'd recommend you first pull the stereo out of its mounting space and see if there's even an AM antenna "connected to the unit"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #10
DaveAlb

I think I’m going to put up with it for a while. It looks like a bear to remove without making an enormous mess of it. I bet you’re right. No AM antenna or a substandard one at best. I may talk to the dealer about it under the warranty. Thanks for your help!✌️
Old 05-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlb View Post
I think I’m going to put up with it for a while. It looks like a bear to remove without making an enormous mess of it. I bet you’re right. No AM antenna or a substandard one at best. I may talk to the dealer about it under the warranty. Thanks for your help!✌️

That's a double DIN front with a single DIN receiver box. Takes about 3 minutes to remove the 4 screws and pull it out. No mess, no fuss and very easy. You will find that your AM "antenna" is either not connected, rolled up or non existent I figure. If there isn't one there just slide it back in the hole, go get what you want, come back, pull it out and connect your new antenna.

The front of the receiver is divided into upper and lower halves. Just grip the lower half cover on the ends and pull it off. You will find 4 square drive Roberston screws - 2 on each end. Remove those and pull it out. Reverse the process (after the antenna is fixed) to reinstall......3 minutes.....maybe.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #12
DaveAlb

Awesome...thanks!