Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

I would order the factory puck no question. Fifth wheel hitch? I would find one other than what Ford was going to add....they won't be competitive and you have so many more options.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #42
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would order the factory puck no question. Fifth wheel hitch? I would find one other than what Ford was going to add....they won't be competitive and you have so many more options.
Would you trust a reputable RV dealership to install one of theirs that would be more congruent to their 5ers?
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #43
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Would you trust a reputable RV dealership to install one of theirs that would be more congruent to their 5ers?
If the puck system is installed by Ford, the hitch should be “plug and play” so most any tech that can read and understand pictures should be able to do it in less than an hour.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

IMO you need to know the truck you want, or at least the type/style; short bed, long bed etc. Depending you may want a slider or you might not. Lots of variants when assessing a 5th wheel hitch...including weight. You're a big guy and a 2-400lb. hitch might not be an issue now, but since you want this to last a long time, at some point you aren't going to be flipping a 300lb hitch up over the tailgate. Some leave them in all the time, some use hoists, friends etc. Due to injuries I have no use for a 2-400lb. hitch so went with an Andersen Ultimate. Some don't like them and have concerns, so far ours has performed admirably and eliminated any need for a heavy slider. Research my friend. When you know what you want, read up on it then let the dealer install it and double check their work with what you know.

Edit: Forgot to mention the way the front cap is built, the shape, will greatly impact what kind of hitch - slider etc. Most are building the curved fronts but you need to watch for that.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #45
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I don't know the cost to install it bought at 1/2 the price but I'm guessing the labor for aftermarket install would eat into the "twice the price" margin. To say nothing of standing around hoping some flunky with a wrench sticking out of his pocket doesn't walk too close to your nice new truck.
Jeeze I need to clean my glasses. John was talking hitch not the Puck system of the hitch set up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #46
BeagleMan

Quote:
IMO you need to know the truck you want, or at least the type/style; short bed, long bed etc. Depending you may want a slider or you might not. Lots of variants when assessing a 5th wheel hitch...including weight. You're a big guy and a 2-400lb. hitch might not be an issue now, but since you want this to last a long time, at some point you aren't going to be flipping a 300lb hitch up over the tailgate. Some leave them in all the time, some use hoists, friends etc. Due to injuries I have no use for a 2-400lb. hitch so went with an Andersen Ultimate. Some don't like them and have concerns, so far ours has performed admirably and eliminated any need for a heavy slider. Research my friend. When you know what you want, read up on it then let the dealer install it and double check their work with what you know.

Edit: Forgot to mention the way the front cap is built, the shape, will greatly impact what kind of hitch - slider etc. Most are building the curved fronts but you need to watch for that.

Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-03-2020, 06:21 PM   #47
BeagleMan

That's the XLT. I did build a Lariat that was a few thousand more. Both with same options. Either standard on 450 or optioned up 450 XLT
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
That's the XLT. I did build a Lariat that was a few thousand more. Both with same options. Either standard on 450 or optioned up 450 XLT

Bought LOTS of Ford trucks and I always liked the XLT pkg. Enough but not overboard. That was back then. I have built Fords online many times thinking I might buy another but they just don't tick the boxes anymore. The fancy electronics in the current years didn't exist a few years back and, although my vehicles have all kinds of "stuff" in them, the basic XLT was fine to me. Great looking truck. A LWB eliminates the need for a slider but they are bigger.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #49
BeagleMan

Ford F-450 XLT
Base MSRP $46,305
Total of Options $23,439
Destination Charges $1,695
Total MSRP $71,439
Available Incentives -$0
Estimated Net Price $71,493
2020 Ford Super Duty F-450 XLT Crew Cab®, 8’ Box, 6.7L Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel Engine, TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission, 4.30 Limited Slip Axle Ratio, 4X4,
DRW$46,305

Paint S4
Blue Jeans$0
No Secondary Color$0

PowertrainS4
6.7L Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel Engine
4X4
TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission with Selectable Drive Modes
4.30 Limited Slip Axle Ratio

PackagesS4
Power Equipment Group$0
XLT Value Package$1,600
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist™$1,600
Camper Package$160
Edit
ExteriorS4
19.5-inch Forged Polished Aluminum Wheels with Bright Hub Cover and Center Ornament (DRW)$0
Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Rear$0
Splash Guards/Mud Flaps - Front$0
Bedliner – Tough Bed® Spray-in$595
Rear Window – Defrost with Privacy Glass$60
5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package$0
Hitch Kit – 5th Wheel, 27.5K$1,495
BoxLink™$0
Engine Block Heater$100
Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Forward Collision Warning$0
Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank$100
BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow$0
Reverse Sensing System$0
Halogen Fog Lamps$0
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps$0
LED Box Lighting$60
Manual Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors with Power Heated Glass$0
Platform Running Boards$0
225/70Rx19.5G BSW Traction Tires$0
Edit
InteriorS4
Medium Earth Gray$0
Cloth$0
Cloth Split Bench 40/20/40 Front Seats$0
Operator Commanded Regeneration$250
Floor Covering – Carpet Delete($50)
Power Driver's Seat$0
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller$0
Electronic-Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF)$0
Cruise Control$0
110-Volt/400-Watt AC Outlet$0
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with Pro Trailer Backup Assist™$0
Upfitter Switches$165
AM/FM Stereo with MP3 Player$0
SiriusXM® Radio$0
SYNC® 3$0
Edit
AccessoriesS8
Hood Deflector$180
HitchScan Rear Park Assist by Rosen®$259
DISCLOSURES
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #50
BeagleMan

Quote:
Bought LOTS of Ford trucks and I always liked the XLT pkg. Enough but not overboard. That was back then. I have built Fords online many times thinking I might buy another but they just don't tick the boxes anymore. The fancy electronics in the current years didn't exist a few years back and, although my vehicles have all kinds of "stuff" in them, the basic XLT was fine to me. Great looking truck. A LWB eliminates the need for a slider but they are bigger.
LWB?? What does that mean?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-03-2020, 06:39 PM   #51
Javi

Quote:
LWB?? What does that mean?
Long wheel base
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:39 PM   #52
JRTJH
Site Team

I would not buy the hitch from Ford and I would strongly suggest the Powerscope (power extend/power fold) mirrors. While the "hips" (dual rear wheels) will be the same width, parking in a space and then being able to fold in the mirrors with a push of a button is a nice feature to not have to "duck under them" or worse yet, have someone push them closed on you to get into their car, parked next to you.

What Danny was referring to is you "might need a sliding hitch" with a short bed truck, but all F450's are long bed trucks (LWB (long wheel base) is always long bed in Fords).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #53
Getn off

That is a great build Beagle. I myself would not opt for the carpet delete, but not my truck!
I also am partial to that color. I added the lower color after the fact. Hindsight? I would order it since it comes out cheaper....that is if you like the dual color.
Troy

Forgot to mention. I would def get the larger nav screen. It really is nice.
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #54
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would not buy the hitch from Ford and I would strongly suggest the Powerscope (power extend/power fold) mirrors. While the "hips" (dual rear wheels) will be the same width, parking in a space and then being able to fold in the mirrors with a push of a button is a nice feature to not have to "duck under them" or worse yet, have someone push them closed on you to get into their car, parked next to you.

What Danny was referring to is you "might need a sliding hitch" with a short bed truck, but all F450's are long bed trucks (LWB (long wheel base) is always long bed in Fords).
Keep in mind the gears on these mirrors are nylon and if you keep the truck long enough you will have to replace them to the tune of $1500 (Ford dealer pricing). I have no problem folding mine manually.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #55
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Keep in mind the gears on these mirrors are nylon and if you keep the truck long enough you will have to replace them to the tune of $1500 (Ford dealer pricing). I have no problem folding mine manually.
Ditto not that big of a deal to fold and extend them manually.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #56
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Isn't the hitch I need just basically a smaller version of one that 18 wheelers use? What are the different types of hitches? I do want your input on this but I will check out youtube too, but please still opine. I trust ya'lls opinions first and foremost.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #57
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
That is a great build Beagle. I myself would not opt for the carpet delete, but not my truck!
I also am partial to that color. I added the lower color after the fact. Hindsight? I would order it since it comes out cheaper....that is if you like the dual color.
Troy

Forgot to mention. I would def get the larger nav screen. It really is nice.
Never been a big fan of carpet. Just something to have to keep clean all the time. I had always had carpet in my bass boats, but then I got one with a saltwater topping and I just loved it. I fished barefooted a lot and this was way cooler on the tootsies when walking around or doing the David Fritts 2-step fighting a fish.

I like the Nav screen, but I just trust Garmins too much. I've had their GPS for vehicles and for my bass boats so I am quite learned of them. I will be going with the Garmin 890 and it is engineered for RVs. Very nice piece of work. Thanks tho.

Would not mind if all of you would go through the specs and see if I am redundant in anything I selected. I chose the things that would have an impact on me and my DW as we traverse our great country and to be as comfortable as possible while we travel. Since, we would be in the truck a great deal of the time. Thanks!!
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #58
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Ditto not that big of a deal to fold and extend them manually.
I am in agreement with this
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #59
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Long wheel base
I did opt for the 176. Is that good enough??
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #60
Javi

Quote:
I did opt for the 176. Is that good enough??
The F450 is an 8 foot bed and that's good, no slider needed unless you have a genset installed and need to get to it while hooked up. I'd pass on the hitch and get a B&W to fit the hitch prep package. I'd also pass on the backup assist and camera, but that's me I been parking trailers for nearly 60 years without all that fofo